Hardware How Does the Switch Recognize Joycon/ Pro cotroller Colors?

Awesomekid956000

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is there a special chip inside the controller for each color, I can't think of much as to how, I'm just a little curious.

Awesomekid956000

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Oh ok, neat. I forgot to mention this in the opening but why do joycons have to update? I haven't seen any other controller need to do something like this.

sarkwalvein

There's hope for a Xenosaga port.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Oh ok, neat. I forgot to mention this in the opening but why do joycons have to update? I haven't seen any other controller need to do something like this.
Hmmm... I think my XBONE controller did update many times, not sure if the DS4 also did, perhaps.

I don't think the have to update, but they can.
Like almost every product nowadays, people sell works in progress.
Be games, that later are "improved" with zero day patches, or hardware pieces that also are "improved" by firmware updates.
A firmware update could improve battery life, improve wireless quality, etc. (but sure they won't fix drifting sticks whose internals star to fall apart/s)

There are also the typical "stability" patches.

Awesomekid956000

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well now that brings up the question of how you stabilize a controller, I don't understand how putting updated firmware into a controller can fix anything.

sarkwalvein

There's hope for a Xenosaga port.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
If you mean make it work better / use less battery, they sure can:
e.g. Suppose they configured the accelerometer in a higher sample rate, but then they realize it is enough with a lower sample rate that uses less battery and then they create a firmware update with this behavior.

If you mean "stability" as in annoy hackers, perhaps there are many ways, but imagine an additional annoyance/deterrent to e.g. downgrade a firmware, as in make the joycon use a protocol that an older firmware does not understand, or make it use a new protocol that unofficial joycons do not use, so the unofficial ones stop working on new firmwares, etc.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/IihvJBjUpNE?si=CsvoEbwzNKFf0GAm cool