How does the battery-saving feature works?

Discussion in 'CycloDS' started by adrian2040, Oct 20, 2008.

Oct 20, 2008
  1. adrian2040
    OP

Member adrian2040 GBAtemp Fan

Peru
    And how much battery life can it save?

2. Ferrariman

Member Ferrariman Hip-Flop and cRap

Canada
    Team Cyclops is trying to keep how it works under wraps. It can save up to an hour of gameplay!

3. adrian2040
    OP

Member adrian2040 GBAtemp Fan

Peru
    Then, what is noticeable when using the feature while playing roms? How does it affect gameplay? I'm still awaiting for CycloDS Evolution to arrive, but I want to know if I should use the feature or not.

4. unz

Member unz Chaotic Neutral

Australia
    The only noticeable thing about the new battery saver feature, is that it lets you use your DS about an hour longer before you have to recharge it. [​IMG]
    That's all - it's a very subtle change, but it makes a big difference over time. It doesn't affect gameplay, it just uses the battery's power more efficiently.

Should you use battery saver? Try doing some comparison testing once your Cyclo arrives and make your own mind up.

5. paul3100

Member paul3100 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United Kingdom
    For the DS?never seen that before..

paul

6. Rayder

Former Staff Rayder Mostly lurking lately....

United States
    Actually, I noticed about a 3 hour increase in battery life, but then again I have a 2000mah battery in my DSlite. Other than the extra battery life, I haven't encountered any difference, though I have heard of a few occasions where there were problems. Something about the end of TWEWY locking up or something......just turn battery saver mode off for any game you may have problems with.....as of 1.5b4 it is an option to enable or disable it through the settings menu.

They say at the CycloDS forums that battery life will vary depending on the game you're playing and the backlight level you use, and is especially noticeable when using sleep mode. They won't explain how it works because they want to prolong exclusivity of the function for as long as possible before other carts add it to there feature list. But I'll tell ya, compared to the R4 anyway, the Cyclo sucked on the battery hard before the battery saver mode was introduced. Now it's more on par with it.

7. berkley

Newcomer berkley Advanced Member

Canada
    it's a secret how it works but here are some facts about it

Link to the post here

8. baz8755

Newcomer baz8755 Member

United Kingdom
    Having upgraded from an R4DS about a month or so ago I did notice quite a dramatic decrease in battery life.

I have now been running with the Battery Save enabled and cannot really see that much of an improvement [​IMG]

I am sure it is not my battery as I have 2 batterys that I swap regularly and both are offering similar performance.

9. War

Member War Take it easy~

Japan
    I've noticed that my DS lasts what seems (to me) to be a much longer time.

10. Slowking

Member Slowking GBAtemp Maniac

Germany
    Where did you get it? I only found some at DX and those are more 1000mah-ish since chinese batterys are half the capacity they are supposed to be most of the time.

And @topic
    TWEWY hangs at the Intro with a 8GB Sandisk UltraII but works but works with an 1GB Kingston in battery safer mode. But that's the only gae that makes problems. Even the castlevanias work.

11. DeMoN

Member DeMoN GBAtemp Guru

United States
    The battery saving feature really did work (in my limited experience), unfortunately I can not get GBA support to work on the beta firmware so I'm stuck with 1.41. Oh well.