jeffyTheHomebrewer

Neato Burrito!
Trophies
Website
catboybeebop.neocities.org
XP
Country
United States
I was wondering just in case if I ever had to transfer to a new 3DS/2DS.
Well, since you have a modded 2DS running Luma 12 (you should probably update that btw, latest Luma version is 13.0.2) the first thing I would do is set up CFW on the Target System (the New 3DS. Don't get a New 2DS, the battery isn't replaceable and the speaker is where your palms would probably rest as you hold it. Only good thing about it is the SD card is accessible without having to get a screwdriver, but even then, just use FTP or something) before performing the transfer.

Basically, the process would go like this, once BOTH SYSTEMS are running custom firmware, in this case Luma via B9S.
https://en-americas-support.nintend...ansfer-to-a-new-nintendo-3ds-system-(wireless
Just follow that, BUT when asked what you want to do for transferring data on the SD card, you can use any option, but what I would recommend is either a PC-Based Transfer (if the SD card in your 2DS is a full-size one which won't fit in the new system) or the same option (PC-Based Transfer) if the SD card in your Nintendo 2DS is just a MicroSD card with an adapter; as that WILL fit in the target system.

Reactions: KleinesSinchen

Kwyjor

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
The standard System Transfer tool still works just like it does on a stock system, but only titles officially installed through the eShop will transfer. Anything installed via FBI will only be available if you install CFW on the "target" system and run Faketik. This is documented at https://3ds.hacks.guide/faq#post-installation-faq .

So, it doesn't matter if you install CFW before or after the System Transfer. The System Transfer actually transfers the encryption key, so if you're using a CFW installation method that requires you to brute-force your movable.sed, you can skip that step if you do the System Transfer first – but some methods (like super-skaterhax) don't require that step, and it's not really a big deal if you have to do it anyway.

Just follow that, BUT when asked what you want to do for transferring data on the SD card, you can use any option
Actually, the one thing you shouldn't do is the "wireless" system transfer, as that will only transfer titles installed through the eShop. But even if you only had eShop titles installed, you wouldn't want to use that option; it is very slow.

Don't get a New 2DS, the battery isn't replaceable
Gee, I can't recall reading about that before. That's a big drawback.

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp's Backup Reminder + Fearless Testing Sina
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
It is replaceable – but not intended to be done by end users: Triwing screws (Nintendo equivalent of a "Keep Out!"-sign), hard to open case compared to other DS with simple battery cover.
On top of this idiots
445180.jpg
may break off the notch of the volume slider in the process of case opening. So be careful.

Battery is standard CTR-003 which will probably be around quite some time as the Switch Pro Controller has the same type.

All in all harder than on other DS consoles, but a lot easier than on most current phones.

Reactions: Kwyjor

jeffyTheHomebrewer

Neato Burrito!
Trophies
Website
XP
Country
United States
It is replaceable – but not intended to be done by end users: Triwing screws (Nintendo equivalent of a "Keep Out!"-sign), hard to open case compared to other DS with simple battery cover.
On top of this idiots
445180.jpg
may break off the notch of the volume slider in the process of case opening. So be careful.

Battery is standard CTR-003 which will probably be around quite some time as the Switch Pro Controller has the same type.

All in all harder than on other DS consoles, but a lot easier than on most current phones.
Yeah, by "non-replacable" I meant "not meant to be replaced".. Odd that it's a New XL system running on an O3DS battery though. What the fuck?

Reactions: KleinesSinchen

PeterL29

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Wondermike

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Denmark
Well, since you have a modded 2DS running Luma 12 (you should probably update that btw, latest Luma version is 13.0.2) the first thing I would do is set up CFW on the Target System (the New 3DS. Don't get a New 2DS, the battery isn't replaceable and the speaker is where your palms would probably rest as you hold it. Only good thing about it is the SD card is accessible without having to get a screwdriver, but even then, just use FTP or something) before performing the transfer.

Basically, the process would go like this, once BOTH SYSTEMS are running custom firmware, in this case Luma via B9S.
https://en-americas-support.nintendo.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/14112/~/how-to-perform-a-system-transfer-to-a-new-nintendo-3ds-system-(wireless
Just follow that, BUT when asked what you want to do for transferring data on the SD card, you can use any option, but what I would recommend is either a PC-Based Transfer (if the SD card in your 2DS is a full-size one which won't fit in the new system) or the same option (PC-Based Transfer) if the SD card in your Nintendo 2DS is just a MicroSD card with an adapter; as that WILL fit in the target system.
Does this mean everything? I mean savefiles in particular?
Post automatically merged:

The standard System Transfer tool still works just like it does on a stock system, but only titles officially installed through the eShop will transfer. Anything installed via FBI will only be available if you install CFW on the "target" system and run Faketik. This is documented at https://3ds.hacks.guide/faq#post-installation-faq .

So, it doesn't matter if you install CFW before or after the System Transfer. The System Transfer actually transfers the encryption key, so if you're using a CFW installation method that requires you to brute-force your movable.sed, you can skip that step if you do the System Transfer first – but some methods (like super-skaterhax) don't require that step, and it's not really a big deal if you have to do it anyway.

Actually, the one thing you shouldn't do is the "wireless" system transfer, as that will only transfer titles installed through the eShop. But even if you only had eShop titles installed, you wouldn't want to use that option; it is very slow.

If i do this and use faketik, will it transfer savefiles too?

Last edited by Wondermike,

jeffyTheHomebrewer

Neato Burrito!
Trophies
Website
XP
Country
United States
Does this mean everything? I mean savefiles in particular?
Post automatically merged:

If i do this and use faketik, will it transfer savefiles too?
All saves will transfer regardless of if they have fake tickets or not. Faketik is just needed to make the games show up again

Reactions: Wondermike

jeffyTheHomebrewer

Neato Burrito!
Trophies
Website
XP
Country
United States
I have not bought them on the eshop if that makes them DSiware! It's all pirated stuff
DSiWare titles typically have an animated icon. If it's those, then I don't get how the transfer wouldn't have copied them over (and why faketik wouldn't have made them reappear)

Wondermike

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Denmark
DSiWare titles typically have an animated icon. If it's those, then I don't get how the transfer wouldn't have copied them over (and why faketik wouldn't have made them reappear)
I did the sysNAND backup thing on the source console after transfer, and they are still on that one, so it's not like i completely lost my games and saves, so not the end of the world. But i would ofcourse like to have them on my new console

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: He's old they're already roasted +1