How do you flash a recovery?

Discussion in 'Mobile Phones and Media Players' started by Chocolina, Jan 24, 2013.

Jan 24, 2013

How do you flash a recovery? by Chocolina at 7:26 PM (1,606 Views / 0 Likes) 7 replies

1. Chocolina
    OP

Member Chocolina GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Ok... so I got this cheap tablet I'm trying to root so I can speed it up. It comes with 4GB of storage 500 of which is reserved for the android system, and 2.3GB.

In the android OS it lets you erase the 2.3GB part with no instructions or warning of any consequences in the OS, the devices OS, or the instruction booklet.

The problem is I think the geniuses who made this tablet put the recovery menu on the part of tablet's flash that you're allowed with no warning to delete, and now I can't get into my recovery menu. Also since then, its not allowing me to download any apps from the market because it says theres no space left. It now says 0.00b for total space on the primary part and yet it still has 40MB used up for apps or stuff?

Any way to flash a new recovery in generic 4.0.4 OS?

2. Ron

Member Ron somehow a weeb now.

Canada
    Try flashing from ClockworkMod Rom Manager

EDIT: If you're not rooted, you're pretty much screwed afaik :(

3. Chocolina
    OP

United States
    I thouht clockwork was device specific, that it can only be installed on specific phones and.such

4. Joe88

Member Joe88 [λ]

United States
    what device is it?

5. Rydian

Member Rydian Resident Furvert™

Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
    United States
    From my experience with rooting my TFP, it involved connecting the tablet to the PC with the cable with USB debugging, then running the installer for whatever custom recovery (TWRP, CWRM, whatever) there is that supports it.

6. Chocolina
    OP

United States
    My last real rooting experience was on Android 1.5, and required a series of memory card flashing various recovery menus, and making partitions. It was an ugly complicated practice, but atleast I had help doing it from a series of guides I could follow. It would be fantastic if I could root and flash custom recoveries and kernals, but now I'd just be happy getting my device to function as normal.

Anyways, for those who haven't seen my other 5 or 8 threads I talked about this in, I have a GoTab 6 Inch (GBT6). Not like this fact helps people because rooting just flew out the window and now its all about getting a recovery flash and the partitions behaving like they used to. I'd say its all my fault, but its really the designer's fault for shiiping a device with two partitions, and then not putting system-critical components on the protected partition. This is like HP computers not locking their recovery partitions from users and allowing them to simply delete it with a thoughtless right-click.

Anyways here's some details:

It used to be 400MB and 2.3GB. Now its 0MB and 2.3GB. How the main partition got from 400 to 0 eludes me. All I know is that settings of any kind cannot be saved. The Play store can't update or install apps because it thinks theres 0MB left. Because settings cant be saved, it thinks it's a factory reset every reboot. Cannot actually reset to factory settings and cannot go to recovery menu.

7. Tom Bombadildo

Contributor Tom Bombadildo Honk!

pip
    United States
    As far as I can tell, there are no recoveries/rooting guides for you tablet anywhere. You're pretty much stuck with how it is until someone gets interested.

8. Pleng

Member Pleng GBAtemp Maniac

Thailand
    DISCLAIMER!
    Use any of the tools mentioned below at your own risk. I do not know if they work with your device, and I have screwed plenty of devices using these tools without knowing what I was doing. Make sure the chipset of your phone is indeed an MTK 6575 before even thinking about trying them. I don't have the time to hunt out and provide links, I'm afraid.

It looks like an MTK 6575 based device. If it is, search around For "MTK Droid Root & Tools". You should hopefully be able to use this to create an image of the system which can be reflashed with SP_Flash_Tool v3.x If this works, you can hopefully replace the recovery.img with a suitable one.

Although it this is a 6575 device, I highly doubt that the recovery was in the 2.3Gb user data partition. I don't think that's even *possible*. Try booting into recovery a few times. With my MTK phones it doesn't always work first time. I have to power off, wait for the vibrate to say power off has been completed, and wait a few seconds for good measure then hold the volume down button before pressing power on.

Alternatively, and in fact it might be worth trying this first... hunt around for Zopo Mobile toolbox. This has an option to reboot the device into recovery mode. Though I don't know if it will work on an unrooted device.