Hacking How do you do custom emulators for Virtual Console injects?

UltraSUPRA

[title removed by staff]
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi.

I'm a big fan of MegaMan, and I've been thinking of putting the entire original series up to this point (11 might not be possible) on my Wii U's Wii menu (because I have no systems that can play MMLC2 besides my PC). The problem is, neither the Playstation nor the Saturn has any Virtual Console games on the Wii (or any system, for that matter, unless you count PS Classics on the PS3 and PS4).
My solution? Use an unofficial emulator like Yabause for the largely superior Saturn version of MegaMan 8.
The problem is, I only know how to inject ROMs into WADs, not emulators or ISOs. I'm not actually entirely sure that it's possible for anything other than the GameBoy Advance. Sure, I could use the Wii version of Yabause on the HBC, but I prefer the layout of the Wii Menu. Plus, I don't have to open up the HBC, and I will be able to fit all ten games along with Rockman & Forte and, if PSP emulation is possible on the Wii, MegaMan Powered Up. (It's always been about convenience.)

Ryccardo

Penguin accelerator
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
An installed channel is just a Wii application (capable of running from nand), a banner/icon, and any arbitrary further contents to be used by said software...

Injection is possible with official emulators as they have the rom as one of these extra files;
most homebrew emulators rarely if ever install to nand, much less load a rom from nand (outside of rather well polished adaptations of GBC/GBA emulators by "0rangechicken", rivaling the professionality of official VC releases, now almost impossible to find).

In general if you have emulator channels you have forwarders: since forwarders may be able to pass arguments to the emulator, it may be possible (if supported by the emulator) to have individual channels pointing to every game, but not to actually build self-contained "VC" channels - mainly as they wouldn't fit in any quantity in the first place ;)

Reactions: SaulFabre

UltraSUPRA

[title removed by staff]
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
An installed channel is just a Wii application (capable of running from nand), a banner/icon, and any arbitrary further contents to be used by said software...

Injection is possible with official emulators as they have the rom as one of these extra files;
most homebrew emulators rarely if ever install to nand, much less load a rom from nand (outside of rather well polished adaptations of GBC/GBA emulators by "0rangechicken", rivaling the professionality of official VC releases, now almost impossible to find).

In general if you have emulator channels you have forwarders: since forwarders may be able to pass arguments to the emulator, it may be possible (if supported by the emulator) to have individual channels pointing to every game, but not to actually build self-contained "VC" channels - mainly as they wouldn't fit in any quantity in the first place ;)
Crap.

Well, I guess I could hack Yabause-Wii and make it so it will only run MM8, and then put that inside a channel, after calculating how many blocks that would be (hoo-boy).

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • K3Nv2
  • BakerMan
    I rather enjoy a life of taking it easy. I haven't reached that life yet though.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Do you dangle a baggie in front of them, like a carrot?
    +1
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    they're the same thing
    +1
    i like that idea
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    What's the same thing?
    +1
    before or after a hit
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Nah, a hit gives them mad meth powers, but makes them more difficult to control.
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Before a hit they're like zombies, persistent but slow.
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It's a tradeoff.
    +1
    no i mean, before a hit is after the previous hit
    +1
    if you keep them well enough fed, it's the same thing
    +1
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    By the power of Florida Man, I have the power!!! *Lifts up meth pipe* Meth Man!!! lol
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    Guys, I just learned my little brother is in the hospital because he had a seizure last night.
  • cearp @ cearp:
    Sorry to hear that BakerMan
    +2
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    Just found out he's doing alright, doing a lot of complaining too, rightfully so. Who wouldn't complain after having a seizure and being hospitalized?
    +1
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Glad he is OK and complaining is cool :)
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Yeah been there had that no fun
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    They'll give him sleep studies eegs and possibly one week hospital stay
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    I hope it's not a week.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It's standard so doctors can get a idea about what's going on
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    understood
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    well, i'm glad he seems to be doing fine, and ig i'm going to start spewing goofy shit again
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    Update: Turns out he's epileptic
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Get a 2nd opinion run mris etc they told me that also
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Get a 2nd opinion run mris etc they told me that also