Misc How do you delete the 3DS transfer tool?

Ondrashek06

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Czech Republic
So the DSi shop can be used now only to download the tool to transfer to a 3DS. So I downloaded it to showcase the DSi shop's uselessness after 2016, saying that I'll delete if after the download. But how was I supposed to know that you CANNOT delete it?

The DSi was borrowed and I'm kinda sure they don't want a permanent nag to get a 3DS on their homescreen.

Pk11

A catgirl with a DSi
Trophies
Website
pk11.us
XP
Country
United States
The safest and probably easiest way to remove it would be to:
  1. Follow dsi.cfw.guide all the way through installing Unlaunch*
  2. Set up melonDS on your computer
    • Use the NAND backup dsi.cfw.guide has you make and the BIOS files from its dumper (run the dumper linked under DSi Emulation from Unlaunch directly)
    • In melonDS, you set those by going to Config -> Emu settings, then select the files from the "DSi-mode" tab
    • "DSi firmware" is not needed
  3. Open melonDS and go to System -> Manage DSi titles, then you should be able to delete it from there
  4. Now simply follow dsi.cfw.guide's Restoring NAND page to restore your backup with the title removed (this will also uninstall Unlaunch as the backup was made before installing it)
    • You should be fine to skip the no$gba set up and testing in no$gba since you're not doing anything super dangerous, but I would still recommend it just in case, that'll also let you confirm the title has been deleted
    • You could check that it's working in melonDS instead (File -> Boot firmware), but it looks like you need more BIOS files for that

*if you have another DSi with Unlaunch you can dump the BIOS files using that one, in which case you only need to go through the "Dumping NAND" page, no need to install Unlauch

Alternatively, you could just move it to the far right of the DSi Menu and ignore it :P

Reactions: banjo2

Ondrashek06

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Czech Republic
The safest and probably easiest way to remove it would be to:
  1. Follow dsi.cfw.guide all the way through installing Unlaunch*
  2. Set up melonDS on your computer
    • Use the NAND backup dsi.cfw.guide has you make and the BIOS files from its dumper (run the dumper linked under DSi Emulation from Unlaunch directly)
    • In melonDS, you set those by going to Config -> Emu settings, then select the files from the "DSi-mode" tab
    • "DSi firmware" is not needed
  3. Open melonDS and go to System -> Manage DSi titles, then you should be able to delete it from there
  4. Now simply follow dsi.cfw.guide's Restoring NAND page to restore your backup with the title removed (this will also uninstall Unlaunch as the backup was made before installing it)
    • You should be fine to skip the no$gba set up and testing in no$gba since you're not doing anything super dangerous, but I would still recommend it just in case, that'll also let you confirm the title has been deleted
    • You could check that it's working in melonDS instead (File -> Boot firmware), but it looks like you need more BIOS files for that

*if you have another DSi with Unlaunch you can dump the BIOS files using that one, in which case you only need to go through the "Dumping NAND" page, no need to install Unlauch

Alternatively, you could just move it to the far right of the DSi Menu and ignore it :P
Well, that sucks.
This was what Nintendo support gave me:
Screenshot_2021-11-22-19-09-18.jpeg

Pk11

A catgirl with a DSi
Trophies
Website
pk11.us
XP
Country
United States
Well, that sucks.
This was what Nintendo support gave me:
View attachment 286332
Yeah, most DSiWare are deletable from System Settings -> Data Management, but the 3DS Transfer Tool is installed as a system application instead of a normal DSiWare (in nand:/title/00030015 instead of nand:/title/00030004) so it's not possible to delete it without homebrew.

Reactions: banjo2

Ondrashek06

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Czech Republic
Yeah, most DSiWare are deletable from System Settings -> Data Management, but the 3DS Transfer Tool is installed as a system application instead of a normal DSiWare (in nand:/title/00030015 instead of nand:/title/00030004) so it's not possible to delete it without homebrew.
Then why did the DSi shop not give a warning that it will be permanently unremovable?

banjo2

gamer
Trophies
Website
youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
Then why did the DSi shop not give a warning that it will be permanently unremovable?
I imagine that was more of a byproduct, by installing it as a system title it doesn't count towards the block limit, and if you were transferring DSiWare you probably weren't gonna use that system much anymore anyways, no?

Ondrashek06

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Czech Republic
I imagine that was more of a byproduct, by installing it as a system title it doesn't count towards the block limit, and if you were transferring DSiWare you probably weren't gonna use that system much anymore anyways, no?
I mean, it was weird that the shop said that it would take up 0 blocks, but by that I just imagined that it was too small and Nintendo rounded it down. Not that it would be permanently installed without any way to remove (if you do not count homebrew).

KGBEER

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey bro I understand your pain, but unfortunately there's nothing
we can do about it. It's a discontinued device and nintendo doesn't care
anymore.
At most they'll include an alert so people will know what they are getting,
though I doubt that.
As this installation won't affect the system/storage significantly so let as it is
can be an option. Or get it hacked to get it off.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    LeoTCK @ LeoTCK: yes for nearly a month i was officially a wanted fugitive, until yesterday when it ended