How do I use Flash2Advance?

Discussion in 'GBA - Flashing Hardware and Software' started by UltraSUPRA, Mar 13, 2019.

1. UltraSUPRA
    OP

UltraSUPRA GBAtemp Regular

May 4, 2018
    United States
    My little sister recently found the old GBA, and I don't know how to use the flashcart that we have with it. I have the plug and the software, but nothing seems to work.

2. zfreeman

zfreeman GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Mar 9, 2013
    United States
    Pennsylvania
  3. UltraSUPRA
    OP

May 4, 2018
    United States
  4. kuwanger

kuwanger GBAtemp Maniac

Jul 26, 2006
    United States
    You say you have the plug. Do you mean this or this? If so you can use a GBA and a computer with the f2a tools from that guide to flash the cart.

5. UltraSUPRA
    OP

May 4, 2018
    United States
    Yeah, I have the second one. Should I use a VM?

6. kuwanger

kuwanger GBAtemp Maniac

Jul 26, 2006
    United States
    If you're having problems with the software detecting your GBA when trying to flash, then yes. Just to be clear to use the F2A tool software you'll need to plug the f2a link cable into your gba, have your f2a in your gba, and hold start+select while turning on the GBA (you'll hear a jingle and the "Nintendo" logo will fade out) to put it into multiboot mode. At that point you can try using the f2a tool (you'll have to go into the options and select ilinker or something (whatever is not ltp/parallel port).

7. alexander1970

alexander1970 GBAtemp verrückt

Nov 8, 2018
    Austria
    Austria
    Hello.:)

Maybe this software helps you also.I´ve tried it under Windows 7 32bit and Windows 10 64bit.

Good luck.

Attached Files:

8. migles

migles All my gbatemp friends are now mods, except for me

GBAtemp Patron
    migles is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Sep 19, 2013
    China
    Earth-chan
    If you can't make it to work (sadly i don't own one and dont have experience with that card)
    don't put it to trash or destroy it
    IIRC the usb cable is rare and its an item people would like to get. i remember someone here looking for the cable but i dont remember who

alexander1970 likes this.
  9. r0ni

r0ni Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Nov 5, 2002
    United States
    Michigan, USA
    The software is very finicky. Last I used one I ran it on a 32bit winxp VM. You will need the libusb dll in the directory of the software for it to work as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. UltraSUPRA
    OP

May 4, 2018
    United States
    Which folder do I get the LibUSB DLL from? MS32, MS64, MipGW32, or MipGW64? Do I need to compile it somehow? Do I have to rename it? Does this apply to f2a-usb11? I need more info than "you need this".

Initial ULA ...
    Could not find xLA system !!
    Checking ULA....
    USB or driver error
    No Adaptor Found!

11. r0ni

r0ni Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Nov 5, 2002
    United States
    Michigan, USA
    You need the one corresponding to what your OS is. If you have 32bit windows, you need either of the 32bit named ones. Same for 64 bit. I would recommend the mingw ones. No compiling, just move the file to where the f2a app exe is. Before pressing the “flash” button in the application, you need to make sure your gba is turned on and in multi-boot mode press power while holding select+start). If all is well it will find the driver and your gba will make a chime sound. The flash your games.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk