Hacking How do I troubleshot USB Loader GX?

Barbabarba

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
My wii stopped loading some games, showing me instead a black screen. Since it was my first softmod ever, I hardly remember how I did it (I blindly followed some guide) and now I can't point out the problem. How do I verify for example if the cIOS are fine? USB Loader GX is Rev.1262, IOS250 (Rev 65535) +AHB (d2x v10beta52 base57). The console is connected by wi-fi, and the loader doesn't find new updates, so my guess is that I'm in the latest version. I already tried Default Settings.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
To troubleshot anything, you swap element to narrow the problem.
it works with USBLoaderGX, it works with everything !

Try a different HDD to see if the problem is hardware or software
try a different wiimote, a different IOS slot, a different loader (wiiflow, cfg), a different way to launch homebrew (channels, hbc, etc.), a different sd card, a different game,
etc.

Rev.1262, IOS250 (Rev 65535) +AHB (d2x v10beta52 base57). The console is connected by wi-fi, and the loader doesn't find new updates, so my guess is that I'm in the latest version.
- your IOS is good
- your version is not really the latest. it's the "latest internally released", but the latest stable is 1268, latest beta is 1268mod4, you have to replace the boot.dol manually if you want to update. Links are in my signature.

Black screen is usually, in logical/common occurrence order:
- bad video mode (reset settings should have fix it)
- wrong USB Port !
- Flashdrive instead of HDD
- loader IOS and game IOS are different, gameIOS not using a good slot. (reset should have fix it)
- HDD does not have enough power (y-cable, external power, try a different usb cable, yes different cable sometime fixed problematic hdd!)
- ISO is bad
- ISO path is wrong, fix this way
- your HDD is FAT32, your files are write protected.
- You enabled debug pause, and don't have a debugger (reset setting should have fix it)

There might be other possibilities, I don't think of them right now

Last edited by Cyan,
Reactions: Barbabarba

Barbabarba

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Thank you very much! I'm afraid I don't have the original ISO files anymore, so it may take more time before I understand what's going on. I will return when I have news.

Barbabarba

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Ok, I didn't try to fix my wii until today, and the problem was really trivial: there was some corrupted iso on the external hard drive, nothin more. I feel kinda silly for bothering you, but thanks again for the detailed instructions!

eyeliner

Has an itch needing to be scratched.
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
@Cyan
I believe you could put all of your advice in one "How to fix your USBLoaderGX" thread.
Really, by following your advice, it's basically impossible to not resolve an issue.

GreyWolf

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@Cyan
I believe you could put all of your advice in one "How to fix your USBLoaderGX" thread.
Really, by following your advice, it's basically impossible to not resolve an issue.

We need to make a flowchart but almost 100% of the time we can resolve issues within an hour or two if they're posted in the official thread. :) If Cyan's not online usually either I am or someone else is that knows the loader.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
that's what I planed/wanted to do, regroup all my knowledge and suggestions and help into a single thread so other users could point to it instead of providing random solutions.
But, I might have seen too big compared to the free time I have :P

Global Wii hacking issue fixing thread, explaining how the console works.
I decided to lock the thread to prevent information being lost in hundreds of page, again. The purpose is to have only help, not questions.
it's currently covering only the console itself, I didn't wrote the homebrew usage part, and only linked to existing posts of mine for usbloadergx common issues. (which are in fact users issues not doing things properly but expecting things to work their way, so I guess it's missing a proper readme to explain how the loader works)

I plan to sort things by common issues : black screen, hdd not detected, return to sysmenu when launching a game, etc. and redirect to "homebrew usage" chapter like "installing cIOS properly" or "choosing the cIOS base" or "what's a slot?"

Last edited by Cyan,
Reactions: eyeliner

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Sak is a fishy pineapple