How do I transfer SD Cards?

Discussion in '3DS - Console, Accessories and Hardware' started by ImNotSkilled, Jul 19, 2014.

1. ImNotSkilled
    OP

ImNotSkilled The Pokéman

Jun 16, 2012
    United States
    Behind you
    I've been using the SD card that came with my purchase and I recently bought a newer, higher capacity card.

How do I transfer everything without losing everything?

Thanks!

2. Bent

Bent GBAtemp Regular

Nov 6, 2002
    United States
    ImNotSkilled likes this.
  3. sonicvssilver22

sonicvssilver22 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Aug 12, 2010
    United States
    Abyss of the Horizon
    If you wanted to you could also keep a backup of the SD card on your computer, or even mix-and-match SD cards if you wanted. As long as all the content was bought on the same console the system will accept it. This is useful if you wanted to keep both SD cards and use the bigger one specifically for downloading bigger games.

4. mutinize

mutinize dazed and confused

Jan 17, 2014
    United States
    Would this be a way to mess around with games then? For example, lets say I have a Pokemon that I want to duplicate. I can save my game and back it up to my computer, trade it away to a different game, then restore my copy from the backup I made previously, thus having it on my 3DS and a different one. Would this work or are there countermeasures in place to prevent it?

I've wanted to test it when Alpha Sapphire comes out but I may get the cartridge instead so I can use powersaves.

5. sonicvssilver22

sonicvssilver22 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Aug 12, 2010
    United States
    Abyss of the Horizon
    In theory it should work, but Nintendo's already made it impossible to do so. I don't really understand it much myself, but the way the data is stored on there makes it impossible to do it sadly.