How do I swap CFW without losing everything

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by yusuo, Mar 16, 2016.

1. yusuo
    OP

yusuo GBAtemp Addict

Oct 19, 2006
    So i'm looking into moving from RxTools 2.6 to A9LH only issue with this is i don't want to lose the 30 odd games i've currently got installed.

I've tried this guide (https://github.com/Plailect/Guide/wiki/Get-Started) and picking up from part 3 as I already have 9.2 and an emunand in place, I've missed formatting the emunand for obvious reasons and just gone to trying to load cakes (part 15) but I just get a black screen.

Is there a general guide to upgrading from Rxtools to Cakes A9LH. One that doesn't assume I don't have everything already set up and also more importantly one that doesn't involve me wiping my emunand and creating one from scratch

Last edited by yusuo, Mar 16, 2016
  2. squee666

squee666 Advanced Tech Pleb

Sep 17, 2010
    Belfast
    Swapping CFW doesnt wipe any of your games, all the information is on the Emunand not the CFW (they just apply patches etc)

Removing Rxtools is a simple as deleting the rxtools folders from your SD.

installing cakes/aureinand is as simple as copying the files over it asks for and just booting from whatever file is says too

Last edited by squee666, Mar 16, 2016
  3. Lilith Valentine

Lilith Valentine GBATemp's Wolfdog™ I drool on my knife

Sep 13, 2009
    Antarctica
    Between insane and insecure
    You can actually run and switch between multiple CFWs without losing anything. All of your games are stored on the emuNAND and SD card, there CFW just acts as a means to accessing the emuNAND. I know, i've ran CakesFW, RXtools, and AuReiNAND all on the same emuNAND with no ill effects. I am currently running CakeFW and AuReiNAND on my SysNAND without hassle either

4. yusuo
    OP

yusuo GBAtemp Addict

Oct 19, 2006
    Yes but the guide im using assumes i am creating an emunand from scratch and asks me to format.

If i bypass that step for some reason cakes just loads to a black screen from homebrew launcher

5. squee666

Sep 17, 2010
    Belfast
    are you running the correct steps

1. Get into the Homebrew Launcher through the entrypoint of your choice
    2. Open CakesFW
    3. Go to "Select Patches"
    4. Activate the "Enable EmuNAND" and "Disable Signature Checks" patches, then press Start to continue
    5. Select "Boot CFW" to enter EmuNAND

6. yusuo
    OP

yusuo GBAtemp Addict

Oct 19, 2006
    Open CakesFW

This is where I have an issue, it loads to a black screen

7. squee666

Sep 17, 2010
    Belfast
    did you do these steps

1. Copy both slot0x11key96.bin and slot0x25keyX.bin to the root of your SD card
    2. Copy the contents of the CakesFW zip to the root of your SD card
    3. Copy the firmware.bin and firmkey.bin to the Cakes folder on your SD card

8. yusuo
    OP

yusuo GBAtemp Addict

Oct 19, 2006
    Yes

9. squee666

Sep 17, 2010
    Belfast
    there should be no issues then

How to install:
    Just copy all the files to the root of your SD card, and launch it with either spider, MSET or Ninjhax.
    Files and stuff are on the bottom of the post.
    Copy the firmware.bin linked at the bottom of the post to the cakes directory. Do the same with cetk.
    If you have an old 3ds with a firmware lower than 7.0, and you plan to use a emuNAND version 7.0 or higher, you need to get a file named slot0x25keyX.bin from the internet, and place it on the root of your SD card, and make sure you enable the "Load 7.x NCCH crypto key" patches.
    If you have a new 3ds with a firmware lower than 9.6, and you plan to use a emuNAND version 9.6 or higher, you need to get a file named slot0x11key96.bin from the internet, and place it on the root of your SD card.

Try holding L on boot

Last edited by squee666, Mar 16, 2016
  10. yusuo
    OP

yusuo GBAtemp Addict

Oct 19, 2006
    I've removed rxtools from the sd card and now it works. next step is downgrading otp, which again is asking me to format emunand, can i ignore this as well?

11. squee666

Sep 17, 2010
    Belfast
    honestly just follow the guide from start to finish you are making it awkward i know you have to format at some point

12. Seriel

Seriel Worshipper of Skiddos

Aug 18, 2015
    You do have to format but you restore your old nand later.
    Everything is fine. Nothing is lost.

13. yusuo
    OP

yusuo GBAtemp Addict

Oct 19, 2006
    Thanks, I'll just follow the guide to the letter now, backing up nands now just incase

14. Seriel

Seriel Worshipper of Skiddos

Aug 18, 2015
    Exactly. You back them up, format it all, do the otp stuff and then put it all back afterwards.

15. Ryu X

Ryu X GBAtemp Regular

Feb 9, 2007
    United States
    You have to format emunand twice for a couple of reasons, first the home menu needs to be as clean as possible for downgrading and 2nd to ensure nands are unlinked.