Hacking How do I merge .Iso files?

CMDreamer

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
The /B needs to be after each source file's name, too.

No, it doesn't.

It would make no sense to join ASCII (/a) files with Binary (/b) files. That modifier is needed only once right after the copy command, as in:

Code:
copy /b file1.iso+file2.iso+file3.iso+file4.iso+file5.iso joinedfiles.iso

*Notice that there are no space char on either side of the + char.

It can be done using special characters like ? for a single char, and * for a group of them, as in:

Code:
copy /b file?.iso joinedfiles.iso

Which wouldn't work if we had more than nine files (file10.iso)

Or

Code:
copy /b file*.iso joinedfiles.iso

This would work even if we had a million files to join.

Last edited by CMDreamer,
Reactions: VinsCool

VinsCool

Persona Secretiva Felineus
Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Canada
No, it doesn't.

It would make no sense to join ASCII (/a) files with Binary (/b) files. That modifier is needed only once right after the copy command, as in:

Code:
copy /b file1.iso+file2.iso+file3.iso+file4.iso+file5.iso joinedfiles.iso

*Notice that there are no space char on either side of the + char.

It can be done using special characters like ? for a single char, and * for a group of them, as in:

Code:
copy /b file?.iso joinedfiles.iso

Which wouldn't work if we had more than nine files (file10.iso)

Or

Code:

I love how your username fits perfectly the situation :D

CMDreamer

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
I love how your username fits perfectly the situation :D

Thanks, it's a anagram actually. It means many things at once.

I grew up using MS-DOS not just the Windows Shell from nowadays... it's very powerful on the right hands. "Powershell" comes to my mind... LOL

Reactions: VinsCool

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Code:

That wouldn't work, pretty sure it would get them in the wrong order if there were more than 10 files because of how files are sorted. It would go 1, 10, 11, 12 etc... 2, 20, 21, 22 etc... rather than go in numerical order. You can see that behavior if you use the "dir" command in a folder with numbered files/folders.
Unless the files are named part01, part02 etc., that ensures that the order is correct.

Reactions: GreyWolf

CMDreamer

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
That wouldn't work, pretty sure it would get them in the wrong order if there were more than 10 files because of how files are sorted. It would go 1, 10, 11, 12 etc... 2, 20, 21, 22 etc... rather than go in numerical order. You can see that behavior if you use the "dir" command in a folder with numbered files/folders.
Unless the files are named part01, part02 etc., that ensures that the order is correct.

Actually you're right... Forgot that windows file sorting can get messy sometimes. Even worse when (as in this case) filename numbering has a zero. That doesn't happen on Linux.
When joining files with the copy command is customary to keep the file order or the final one will not be useful at all.

There's no guarantee file?.iso would get 0-9 in the right order, either.

Read my previous comment... LOL

Messy Windows file sorting can get all into recycle bin in a flick.

So then, the best bet is to include every and each file in the correct order to get the right result. Thanks for pointing that out (both of you).

NoHax3Win

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Do you copy an image >2GB to an FAT drive? That's not possible.
The images are already on the drive. The drive is FAT32. Do I have to format my drive to make it work? I really don't want to lose my Mario Kart Wii iso files. There isn't enough space on my computer to save it. But I still have the working disc, so that might not be a big problem.

Last edited by NoHax3Win,

GreyWolf

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The images are already on the drive. The drive is FAT32. Do I have to format my drive to make it work? I really don't want to lose my Mario Kart Wii iso files. There isn't enough space on my computer to save it. But I still have the working disc, so that might not be a big problem.

Copy them to your PC, merge them, then use WIT or Wii Backup Manager to put the ISO on your Wii HDD with split @ 4GB turned on.

NoHax3Win

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Copy them to your PC, merge them, then use WIT or Wii Backup Manager to put the ISO on your Wii HDD with split @ 4GB turned on.
I'm sure that would work for most people, but I said I don't have enough space on my computer to save the iso files. How about I dump the game again after I format my drive to a different format that will work? Also, what format will work? Last, I have to transfer the iso to my Wii HDD? Doesn't HDD mean hard drive?

Last edited by NoHax3Win,

tswntk

Trophies
XP
Country
Switzerland
Since you have a FAT32 drive, can't you just plug it to a USB port on your PC?
Really, if you don't have space for an extra Wii iso on your PC, you probably can't do anything with your PC, not even merging iso parts.

Wiimm

Developer
Trophies
Website
wiimmfi.de
XP
Country
Germany
Do you copy an image >2GB >4GB to an FAT drive? That's not possible.
I meant 4GB, not 2 GB. Message above fixed.

I'm sure that would work for most people, but I said I don't have enough space on my computer to save the iso files. How about I dump the game again after I format my drive to a different format that will work?
Solutions:
1.) If you dump to FAT, then the dumper will split the file for you. But I don't know, if the filenames are correct. In this case you have to rename the files. Another issue may be, that USB loaders will only accept split WBFS files (not sure).

2.) Expand you drive capacity or reduce your data waste. A good idea (for speed and management of files) is that a drive your are working with have always >20% free space.

NoHax3Win

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I meant 4GB, not 2 GB. Message above fixed.

Solutions:
1.) If you dump to FAT, then the dumper will split the file for you. But I don't know, if the filenames are correct. In this case you have to rename the files. Another issue may be, that USB loaders will only accept split WBFS files (not sure).

2.) Expand you drive capacity or reduce your data waste. A good idea (for speed and management of files) is that a drive your are working with have always >20% free space.
I'm not sure if those tips will help, but I tried formatting my USB to NTFS and dumping Mario Kart Wii from Wiiflow (which should give me only one ISO), but it just gets stuck and doesn't do anything. I tried using USB Loader GX, but it would get stuck on "Initializing usb device". Don't ask if I installed a CIOS, because I did. Don't ask if I installed two, either, because I still did.

GreyWolf

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
*sigh*
1. Use CleanRip to rip the disc to SD. Copy the files from the SD to your PC and merge them at the same time with the command line COPY command. Repeat until you're done with your discs, giving each one a unique name. (command line example in post at top of this page)

2. Use Wii Backup Manager to copy all the titles to your Wii HDD.
3. There is no step 3.

Don't bother with loaders' backup. They 99% of the time will freeze writing to a USB device. If you don't have enough space for at least one 4 or 8 GB file on your PC you should free some up and just do one at a time.

Last edited by GreyWolf,

VinsCool

Persona Secretiva Felineus
Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Canada
Really?
Since the beginning I dump with CFG Loader, mostly 1:1 mode, to my WBFS drive. I never had any issues. Maybe it is the WBFS drive instead of FAT/NTSC partition.
I have noticed that this behaviour is pretty common for people using USB keys. I myself had this issue.
Solution? Use a HDD. Works perfectly.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: With uremum