Gaming How do I find out my memory speed on a legacy laptop?

astrangeone

OP
Trophies
Website
www.shophandmade.com
XP
Country
Canada
Dumb question, but my ancient Lenovo laptop (8 years old, and counting!) has two slots for SODimms, so I really want to update it. It's a basic Celeron M, running at 1.50 Ghz. I'm doing nothing fancy with this - just a college/uni computer - basically running libreoffice and Foxit to get my work done.

How do I find out the memory speed and rates? (This laptop has easy access to the memory modules - just pop off the back plate with a screwdriver.)

Thanks - oh, and any suggestions that I replace my laptop with something newer will be ignored!

marcus134

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
web:
memory manufacturer website like kingston, crucial, etc.
computer vendor website (support section)
google

software:
cpu-z
aida64
speccy

DIY:
open the laptop and read what's written on the so-dimm.
on some computer, it's written in the bios or on the post screen.

Psyfira

Credit: 0ml. Insert tea to continue
Trophies
XP
Country
Try finding the manual online on IBM/Lenovo's website if you've lost it; there's a maximum amount of memory motherboards can support, so you need to know how much the PC will actually recognise before you waste money buying larger modules than it can use. The memory manufacturer websites contain tools where you stick in your laptop make/model and they tell you what you need (though they get the max. amount for my laptop wrong so I'm not certain how accurate their info is).

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @BigOnYa, i heard fallout 4 is shit but i think that was when it released