How do I connect an Xbox One controller to a Wii?

Discussion in 'Wii - Hardware, Devices and Utilities' started by DeadlyRevengexX, Jun 3, 2017.

1. DeadlyRevengexX
    OP

DeadlyRevengexX GBAtemp Regular

May 20, 2017
    United States
    I have the wireless Xbox One controller from Microsoft, and I know there has to be a way to connect it to the original Wii, but I just don't know how. I tried plugging it with a USB wire to the Wii but all it does is flash on and off. I then (while still plugged) pressed the sync button on the controller (the controller light began to flash as in searching) and then I pressed the red sync button on the Wii that's next to the SD card slot andddd nothing. I would love to use my Xbox One controller for Nintendont and other retro emulators on my modded 4.3u Wii.

They say the Xbox One controller can be used for "anything" ... is the Wii an exception to that famous saying?

Last edited by DeadlyRevengexX, Jun 3, 2017
  2. AkumaNoYami

AkumaNoYami Member

Newcomer
    Mar 1, 2016
    Gambia, The
  3. DeadlyRevengexX
    OP

May 20, 2017
    United States
  4. 8BitWalugi

8BitWalugi Taiyohhhhhh!

Mar 22, 2008
    Australia
    Side 7
    I don't think it's possible unless you use this bluetooth dongle. Couldn't find anything about using it wired.

EDIT: Under the USB-HID Controllers section, the Xbox One controller is listed as not working over cable, however there is an adaptor for the 360 controller and assumedly the Xbox One controller too
    https://gbatemp.net/threads/nintendont.349258/

Last edited by 8BitWalugi, Jun 3, 2017
  5. mightymuffy

mightymuffy fatbaldpieeater

GBAtemp Patron
    mightymuffy is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Nov 6, 2002
    United Kingdom
    Wigan, land of the Pies
    Which version is it? If it's the first model, no chance, if it's the second one with the headphone jack, or the S, then it should work with HID to vpad (which in turn should, don't quote me though :lol:, work on regular Wii...)
    EDIT: Sorry yeah, all models will work with the cronus that Walugi posted...

Last edited by mightymuffy, Jun 3, 2017
  6. DeadlyRevengexX
    OP

May 20, 2017
    United States
    Well the cronus is extremely overpriced for my budget.

The Xbox One controller I'm using is the one with the headphone jack, and I'm almost positive that the HID to VPAD is an application that's exclusive for the Wii U. I really can't risk bricking my Wii by throwing that program into it. Unless you can show me proof that it works with the original Wii?

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

You're right it does say that it does not work with wireless controllers, but it never said that I can't connect using a USB wire. Is there hope? Also is there an alternative to the cronus? It's a bit too pricey for me right now.. is there an HID to VPAD application for the original Wii that would work? I know there's one for Wii U, but placing Wii U apps into original Wii's usually = brick.. and I can't afford to take that chance.

7. 8BitWalugi

8BitWalugi Taiyohhhhhh!

Mar 22, 2008
    Australia
    Side 7
    Please re-read, it says over USB cable. Your only option is the dongle from what I've found

8. DeadlyRevengexX
    OP

May 20, 2017
    United States
    Ah yes I see, thank you! Though unfortunately.. I really need a cheaper option right now. The other controllers I have at the moment are a few original Xbox controllers (I also have the usb adaptor for them) and one Xbox 360 wireless Microsoft controller with the wireless usb adaptor, and obviously a Wireless Xbox One controller. I'm not sure what I can use with what I have laying around at home but I would hope that there can be some inexpensive solution.

So far I already have the Black Japanese Nintendo classic controller, and I need a second controller for player 2 purposes. I ordered a generic classic controller on eBay for $7 and it's practically alive. It jolts characters off screen and backs me out of menus.. it's unusable and I'm hoping to find a reasonable solution. Thanks for your help so far though 8bitWalugi!

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

I think so far my question is.. Is there an HID to VPAD adaptor for the original Wii? So like that I can plug in usb controllers freely? Primarily an Xbox One controller.

9. smf

smf GBAtemp Maniac

Feb 23, 2009
    Unless support is added to Nintendont for the controller, then I don't think it's possible as the wii doesn't really have background applications. There is a linux driver, so it should be possible.

They seem to like ps3 controllers.

https://github.com/FIX94/Nintendont/blob/a5d7ea4e85a28f26d99f37436ba147865a690221/kernel/HID.c

You could ask on the nintendont thread if buying them an xbox one controller would help.

The only other option would be a USB to wii mote accessory converter, I don't know if these exist or whether they would support xbox one controllers.

Last edited by smf, Jun 3, 2017
  10. GreyWolf

GreyWolf GBAtemp Psycho!

Mar 2, 2015
    United States
    If you're talking about this driver (https://pingus.seul.org/~grumbel/xboxdrv/) I don't think it would be usable on the Wii. The Wii "OS" is basically a small bundle of drivers and there really isn't a dbus for the driver code to hook into.

The problem with Xbox controllers and homebrew is they don't use USB HID protocol. They use XInput so a custom input module would have to be written.

Last edited by GreyWolf, Jun 3, 2017
    DeadlyRevengexX likes this.
  11. GerbilSoft

GerbilSoft GBAtemp Addict

Mar 8, 2012
    United States
    Who exactly says this? I've never heard of anyone saying that Xbox controllers can be used for "anything".

12. DeadlyRevengexX
    OP

May 20, 2017
    United States
    Really? It's a common saying on the internet that the Xbox One controller is plug and play and can be used seamlessly with many systems and consoles. Look it up! :yayone:

Just wish it was the same for the Wii.. then again the Wii was way before it's time.

13. GerbilSoft

GerbilSoft GBAtemp Addict

Mar 8, 2012
    United States
  14. random_human_being_

random_human_being_ GBAtemp Regular

Feb 17, 2016
    Italy
    That only holds true if you're playing on a Windows PC, otherwise you'll still need some fiddling at best.

15. DeadlyRevengexX
    OP

May 20, 2017
    United States
    Hmm that's really odd, I know I did hear it somewhere. :blink: Unless me working to mod this glitchy Wii is making me delusional. haha :wtf: Meh, who knows, maybe I heard that it works with all emulators on PC so in my head I changed it around to consoles? Who knows. lol :P