Homebrew How do I backup everything from my 3ds?

YugiSenpai

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I'm going to be packing my 3ds up and won't be using it for a long time.

I'm going to be using it's SD card so I was wondering how I can back everything up and restore it back once I use it again.

D

Deleted User

First, make a NAND backup using GodMode9 as a precautionary measure. Then, all you need to do is copy all of the contents of your SD Card to a folder on your computer.

YugiSenpai

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
First, make a NAND backup using GodMode9 as a precautionary measure. Then, all you need to do is copy all of the contents of your SD Card to a folder on your computer.
But my games don't come back when I copy the contents back to the sd card.

D

Deleted User

But my games don't come back when I copy the contents back to the sd card.
That's weird, they should. Are you sure you're restoring all the contents, including the Nintendo 3DS folder? These are digital games, right?
Did you perform a system format?

YugiSenpai

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
That's weird, they should. Are you sure you're restoring all the contents, including the Nintendo 3DS folder? These are digital games, right?
Did you perform a system format?
I'm hacked so I would avoid doing system restores.
Also I haven't tried it right now, but before when I tried it(1 year ago) it did not show my games and I had to set up the exploit again. To get my games back I had to restore from some and backup.

D

Deleted User

I can't account for what happened a year ago, but now, simply restoring the contents of your SD Card will work if you don't use an emuNAND.
If you use and emuNAND, you will need to create a backup of that and set it up again after you are ready to start using your 3DS again.
If you have a recent NAND backup and a full SD Card backup, you have nothing to worry about.

Reactions: Deleted User

YugiSenpai

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I can't account for what happened a year ago, but now, simply restoring the contents of your SD Card will work if you don't use an emuNAND.
If you use and emuNAND, you will need to create a backup of that and set it up again after you are ready to start using your 3DS again.
If you have a recent NAND backup and a full SD Card backup, you have nothing to worry about.
What if you're restoring a extools backup to luma

D

Deleted User

What if you're restoring a extools backup to luma
RxTools? If you restore a sysNAND backup made on RxTools while using Luma3DS, other than the backup being outdated, it should be fine.
Whatever you're doing, I strongly recommend you upgrade to boot9strap 1.2, Luma3DS 8.1, start using sysNAND, make a current NAND backup, and backup ALL of your SD card contents.

lone_wolf323

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
RxTools? If you restore a sysNAND backup made on RxTools while using Luma3DS, other than the backup being outdated, it should be fine.
Whatever you're doing, I strongly recommend you upgrade to boot9strap 1.2, Luma3DS 8.1, start using sysNAND, make a current NAND backup, and backup ALL of your SD card contents.
Or perhaps the very least would be b9s 1.0 with the luma 7.1 with sysnand if they are leary of the current potential bugs within b9s 1.2 and luma 8.1

YugiSenpai

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Never heard of bootstrap, any links for upgrading?

D

Deleted User

So I have to do that arm9 thing, is it the one that makes your 3ds boot faster?
arm9loaderhax is outdated, if you're using RxTools, MSET, or a different hack that predates arm9loaderhax, 3ds.guide will instruct you on how to install boot9strap. boot9strap is similar to arm9loaderhax. They're both exploits that run at boot-time that give you full, unpatchable control of your 3DS. Combined with Luma3DS, a popular Custom Firmware (CFW), your 3DS will be fully under your control within microseconds of you pressing the power button. There are many other advantages to using such a setup, as well. Just go to https://3ds.guide/ and follow it from the beginning.
Hope I was able to help!

Reactions: YugiSenpai

YugiSenpai

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
arm9loaderhax is outdated, if you're using RxTools, MSET, or a different hack that predates arm9loaderhax, 3ds.guide will instruct you on how to install boot9strap. boot9strap is similar to arm9loaderhax. They're both exploits that run at boot-time that give you full, unpatchable control of your 3DS. Combined with Luma3DS, a popular Custom Firmware (CFW), your 3DS will be fully under your control within microseconds of you pressing the power button. There are many other advantages to using such a setup, as well. Just go to https://3ds.guide/ and follow it from the beginning.
Hope I was able to help!
Thanks m8.

YugiSenpai

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Thanks m8.
So now there is no need for emunand right? everything is sysnand now?
I can update whenever there is a new update right?
btw I just used a new sd card for the boot9strap + luma setup so I don't have any of my games(rip hundreds of saves)
before I was running menuhax + rxtools.

D

Deleted User

So now there is no need for emunand right? everything is sysnand now?
I can update whenever there is a new update right?
btw I just used a new sd card for the boot9strap + luma setup so I don't have any of my games(rip hundreds of saves)
before I was running menuhax + rxtools.
Everything should be sysNAND now. You can update safely from now on.
If your want your games and saves back, then you should be able to restore your old emuNAND backup to your current sysNAND, and then copy the Nintendo 3DS folder to your new SD card.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
I'm hacked so I would avoid doing system restores.
Also I haven't tried it right now, but before when I tried it(1 year ago) it did not show my games and I had to set up the exploit again. To get my games back I had to restore from some and backup.
Maybe you had an emuNAND, if you have an emuNAND you need to back up that as well.
Also make sure you don't put the SD card in the 3DS before copying the backup on, if it creates a new Nintendo 3DS folder it will conflict with the backup so you have to make sure that you delete the Nintendo 3DS folder if there is one before copying the backup on again.

Dracari

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
a chunk of bugs w/ Luma have been fixed w/ 8.1Stable theres no nee dto stick w/ B9S 1.0 & Luma 7.1 (outside the spare few Homebrew titles that will not run under Rosalina.)

YugiSenpai

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Everything should be sysNAND now. You can update safely from now on.
If your want your games and saves back, then you should be able to restore your old emuNAND backup to your current sysNAND, and then copy the Nintendo 3DS folder to your new SD card.
thanks man, I love this setup now(faster boot and simple(no dual nands))

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

not related to the post, how do I install decrypt9? where do I put the files

not related to the post, how do I install decrypt9? where do I put the files
nvm found out.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    LeoTCK @ LeoTCK: yes for nearly a month i was officially a wanted fugitive, until yesterday when it ended