Gaming How difficult is it to replace the DSL's touch screen P6 connector?

qwertymodo

OP
Trophies
Website
qwertymodo.com
XP
Country
United States
I recently attempted to replace the touchscreen on my g/f's DSL and in the process I snapped the plastic latch on the P6 connector. I've found replacements online, but how difficult is it to resolder something that small? I know I don't have the ability myself, so is it something that I can reasonably expect someone else might be able to do or is it even worth my time to ask around?

thieves like us

chaos personified
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
it's actually quite difficult unless you have the proper tools. the P6 connector's connections to the motherboard are actually semi-surface mounts and require the use of controlled, directional hot air (aka desoldering station) to evenly heat the solder to melting point (~450 degree farenheit) to remove the old part without damaging any of the other components nearby.

this is not something that you perform with a normal soldering iron.

qwertymodo

OP
Trophies
Website
qwertymodo.com
XP
Country
United States
I read a guide suggesting a 0.5mm tip soldering iron, which I do have access to. I can also talk to the CompSci department's resident tech guy who fixes all of their equipment to do the actual work. Everyone in the CS and EE departments that I've talked to said if anyone can do it, he can. However, I don't know if they have a desoldering station or not...

I'm just hoping that this is at least possible for someone with sufficient skill and at least close to the proper equipment, because otherwise I'm out a DSL, just for a stupid $0.75 plastic tab...

Coto

-
Trophies
XP
Country
Chile
Its difficult. I used to have that problem and I wasn´t able to play any touch-screen related game =(

I "tryied" swapping it but it was a mess, and finally my DS has no touchscreen now u_u (anyway it´s 3 years old, so i´m no longer using it)

But you know? Pay someone which could give you some sort of warranty to do this job, it´s complex. A P6 connector is tiny.

mechagouki

Kill 'em all...
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
if your ds is useless without the fix what do you have to lose, I fitted a sega saturn modchip using a run of the mill $10 iron, and I don't believe there are many jobs more fiddly than soldering a wire to a single pin on a 64 pin chip! I fitted a GBA Afterburner with the same iron, just remember, flux is your friend!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: https://i.imgur.com/bG1pQld.mp4