How come wad installing bricks Wii's?

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by chaoshawk, Nov 22, 2008.

Nov 22, 2008
  1. chaoshawk
    OP

Newcomer chaoshawk Advanced Member

Canada
    Just curious what causes bricks from wad installing other than banner bricking.

2. El-Grosso

Member El-Grosso GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    I asked this same question, and there was apparently a wad with a screwed up banner that people were installing. This created a tsunami of bricked Wiis. Just shows that you should only install tested wads.

I think? [​IMG]

3. KirovAir

Member KirovAir Dutch Alcoholic Programmer

Netherlands
    The image sizes of the icon banner mostly, because that is what the Wii system menu wants to show. Any corruption in that causes a semi-brick. Can't think of any other big issues.

4. Darknesss

Newcomer Darknesss Member

United States
    That is correct.

Let me explain how banners work.

No one understands the banner format truely except for team twiisers(marcan made a few tools that let them make the homebrew channel banner).

All the custom banners that people have made are the banners for virtual console games with the textures replaced. As a result of this, it is possible to mess up and create an improper banner, by injecting improper textures, etc.

When you install a WAD that contains a broken banner, when the Wii System Menu tries to load it....it keels over and dies. The menu assumes that all banners are legit, because as far as its concerned, they all should be. Theres no error checking, so the system menu just errors out and dies [​IMG]