How can i prevent my 3ds from updating?

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by ceoepts, Dec 16, 2014.

1. ceoepts
    OP

ceoepts Newbie

Newcomer
    Dec 16, 2014
    Hovås, Västra Götalands Län, Sweden
    Okay... I am buying a sky3ds for my 3ds xl but im really scared for it to update and cost me the 80€ im paying for the flashcard. How can i prevent my 3ds from updating in the best way?... Should i just try to do the nand thing here?

(im really scared of failing)

2. Thirty3Three

Thirty3Three Musician Member

Mar 22, 2013
    United States
    Wherever you want me, baby.
    Smash it into a brick wall the smash it with a hammer

retrofan_k likes this.
  3. dawnbomb

dawnbomb GBAtemp Regular

Nov 23, 2014
    Canada
    lol. relax, super over worried xD.

it can't update on its own, at all. it will ask you if you want it to update, and you just hit no. thats literally all there is.

Thirty3Three likes this.
  4. dawnbomb

dawnbomb GBAtemp Regular

Nov 23, 2014
    Canada
    oh, and some games may ask you to update, such as pokemon x. you can just not update, and still run the game.

Margen67 likes this.
  5. Pedeadstrian

Pedeadstrian GBAtemp's Official frill-necked lizard.

Oct 12, 2012
    United States
    Sandy Eggo
    You could do what dawn said. You could also block the update servers using your router. Or you could just not have your 3DS connected to the internet.

6. retrofan_k

retrofan_k GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

May 31, 2013
    Belarus
    Caves

Simple, never use or create a Internet connection. Buy another 3DS for online legit play, if paranoia is a problem.

7. misterb98

misterb98 Moral Gateway User. Wat.

Aug 24, 2010
    United States
    Honestly, this is the best solution. With this mod, you can make a backup of your system and restore it if you need to downgrade at any point. It also makes your system softbrick proof (as far as I know :P)

I failed it my first time, as I slipped and desoldered a resistor array, but my second go worked. I did mess up on the first time so badly that I now have electrical tape holding one side together, as I stripped a screw. That said, the ability it give me is really nice, and could easily be done without errors.

I covered all the sensitive electronics around the soldering point with hot glue to protect the board from me slipping up. Works well. :)

Alternatively, you could just block updates from the router, which will only work as long as it is your only internet connection, and has no downgrade options.