Household Security issue

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic Chat' started by DDTarZan, Jan 29, 2013.

Jan 29, 2013

Household Security issue by DDTarZan at 10:48 PM (511 Views / 0 Likes) 11 replies

1. DDTarZan
    OP

Member DDTarZan Never getting laid again /s

United States
    Hello, Tempers. I come to you all needing quite a bit of help keeping all of my shit under lock and key. Well, the things I actually need hidden away are in a neat little lockbox already, but it has come to my attention that this thing is easily cracked open (It's a Sentry box, 1100 to be exact.) Apparently most of these boxes can all be opened with the same key, and apparently they can be easily opened with just a butterknife. Some kind of lockbox, right?

Anyway, it's not so much that I want another box that can't be opened, but I was thinking more of some sort of surveillance camera, a neat and easily hideable one at that. I'm fairly certain that my things often get ransacked, but minutely at a time, and I really want to catch somebody in the act.

What should I do? I can surely buy some kind of spy camera if need be, that won't be a problem. I really, really appreciate any help.

2. pyromaniac123

Member pyromaniac123 ส็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็(ಠ益ಠส็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็

United Kingdom
    So instead of getting a better lock box, you just want to see who is stealing your stuff?

[​IMG]

Ammako and Brian117 like this.
  3. EyeZ

Member EyeZ GBAtemp Addict

United Kingdom
    Why a hidden security camera?

Isn't the use of security cameras a deterrent in themselves?

4. omgpwn666

Member omgpwn666 Guy gamer and proud!

United States
    I think I would rather see who was stealing my crap also. Find the thief, give them the boot, no more security problem.

5. FAST6191

Reporter FAST6191 Techromancer

pip
    United Kingdom
    We had a nice little conversation on security cameras a little while back- http://gbatemp.net/threads/question-about-surveillance.338400/ You have not said anything that would change what I said there in this case.

That said it sounds like you have bigger problems or a dose of paranoia- either way some background might be a bit more helpful.

6. DDTarZan
    OP

United States
    Uh, yeah. Believe me when I say it wouldn't really matter if I got a new box, because it would likely get broken into at one point or another. But catching somebody in the process and totally roasting them would prevent it from ever happening again. Entrapment, basically.

omgpwn666 likes this.
  7. Gahars

Member Gahars Bakayaro Banzai

United States
    I hope you're not being literal here.

8. DDTarZan
    OP

United States
    Of course, sorry about that: My sister is unarguably a total kleptomaniac. On top of that, when something goes missing, she denies it up and down and does a really good job of making it seem like she has no recollection of doing it. Not sure what the term for that is, but the klepto bit is on point. I just need one camera, really, to set up on the opposite corner of my room from where the door is. I have enough things in my room that I can hide this thing behind. I'm basically just ignorant to how I could get it working, or where to get one for that matter.
    -sigh- If only I were.

9. FAST6191

Reporter FAST6191 Techromancer

pip
    United Kingdom
    Fair enough. Can I assume you are in a "there is/was no good reason for you to be in this room" as it could make life a bit easier.
    I can't help but feel that while you could set up a camera my preferred option would be to 1) hide the stuff properly and 2) see if you can find some invisible/UV marking ink. You might opt for a loud noise generator (magnetic doorbell works for me) or

If you want a camera-
    Where- you can go security if you like but Amazon will sort you out basic gear. Price wise I image around that of a charting game (a quick search says yes).
    How- three themes
    1) Wired to custom recorder box (read SD card)
    2) Stuck on a general TV - I usually see this sort of thing in department stores for about the same price as a proper IP camera
    3) Sent over a computer LAN. LAN camera, IP camera and wireless security camera are all good terms to search for.

Most are pretty easy to set up. The LAN one might be a tiny bit harder if you need to come in from the internet for it but over a basic LAN it is all good. If you have ever set up a network printer or had to do more than click this is the network and enter a password it is not that much harder. Many modern ones (especially IP cameras) come with really nice features like motion activated recording and such like.

10. DDTarZan
    OP

United States
    I can definitely do the LAN thing. Like, everything in my room is basically wired together anyway. A wireless camera would probably be my best bet for something inconspicuous. I'm not sure how it would receive power though, which is my only concern. It being dead cold where I live, everybody in the household will be blasting their electric heaters, which in turn could be used in her strategy to surge the house and turn it off before she does her stealing thing.

Paranoia aside, if I had a camera with its own power source and could write to an SD card, I'd have zero worries. I will certainly look around. Would you say an infrared camera would be my best bet? And you also say Amazon would be a good place to look first?

11. Its_just_Lou

Member Its_just_Lou GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Being monstrously huge and having a residence filled with edged weapons and dogs works well as a 'natural deterrent'....

The "Ohhhhh fffffuuuuuuu - I picked the WROOOONG house - AHHHHH!!" routine at 2:00 AM = Priceless.

12. Shinigami357

Member Shinigami357 Current "give a fuck" level: Honey Badger

Philippines
    1. Get camera
    2. Catch culprit on video
    3. Upload to internet
    4. ???
    5. Profit!!!

13. jerseystar23
    This message by jerseystar23 has been removed from public view by Depravo, Jan 30, 2013.
    Jan 30, 2013