Hot swapping Wii NAND chips

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by DeadlyFoez, Dec 30, 2010.

Dec 30, 2010

Hot swapping Wii NAND chips by DeadlyFoez at 4:47 AM (2,637 Views / 0 Likes) 9 replies

1. DeadlyFoez
    OP

Member DeadlyFoez Banned

United States
    So I made this video to show hot swapping wii NAND chips. In this video I start up my wii with SM 4.3 with the DarkWii Red theme, then go into bootmii, swap the NAND chips from the TSOP48 clip I installed on my wii's motherboard, and then start up the SM and I'm now on 4.1 original theme. [​IMG]

The great thing this is useful for in my case is having an easy way to dump the NAND chip from someone elses wii. Although I can not launch someone elses system from within my wii or get their wii's keys, but just as an easier and more reliable way to dump someone's nand from a bricked wii and not have to screw with the infectus that takes 3 times longer to read an entire NAND chip.

2. 431unknown

Member 431unknown Greatness Awaits

United States
    glad to see your back! and that is some sick shizz.

3. VashTS

Member VashTS Beat it, son

United States
    you are a hardware wizard. nice job, i may attempt your sd activity mod in the future.

4. Sicklyboy

Global Moderator Sicklyboy Resident Mechanical Keyboard Addict

United States
    Welcome back, Foez! I do not know you personally, but have heard many great things about you!

Anyway, the NAND chip just pops out? I would think it would be soldered down, but the only time I have opened a Wii was to replace a DVD drive for a friend. (Didnt fix problem, either.)

5. stefanox

Member stefanox GBAtemp Regular

United States
    nice, but for what?

6. C.S.I.

Member C.S.I. GBAtemp Fan

Australia
    @plasmadragon.

Deadly has removed the NAND from the PCB, and replaced it with a a NAND 'ZIF Socket' or the like.

You cannot do whats in the video with a regular Wii =)

7. Coto

Member Coto GBAtemp Addict

Chile
    Wow, Deadlyfoez´s back. I´m new here, but beside from devs, this guy have been doing a lot of science between wii hardware!

Glad to see you here !

8. damysteryman

Member damysteryman I am too busy IRL these days...

Antarctica
    Wow.
    That... is awesome man!

WELCOME BACK DeadlyFoez!

And I saw your SD+NAND LED Mod too!
    These Wii hardware mods are just completely awesome!

I am sorry that I could not really help in trying to get you unbanned... Nearly all of my time is used in IRL world these days rather than online...

But when I found out you had returned, I just had to log into gbatemp [​IMG] !

Do you have any other awesome wii hardware mod ideas by any chance?

9. Blue-K

Member Blue-K No right of appeal.

Switzerland
  10. happydance

Member happydance GBAtemp Fan

Philippines
    Great to see your still wuth us DeadlyFoez, but where did you buy the TSOP48 clip? cause it's really a pain to solder this chips with wires

BTW i tried i little experiment with these nand chips, by installing bootmii via boot2 and reading the other wii's NAND via dual nand hack since i don't own an infectus

don't know if this similar with yours but hope you can check it out. the only problems that i have seen is that i have to use the same type of nand chip like samsung -> samsung and hynx -> hynx

i just did the dual nand hack with a working wii w/ boot to, fire up bootmii, switch to the bricked nand (wihle in bootmii), read it's nand (with is kind of useless) and install bootmii in the bricked nand. then after that it's just as simple as returning it to the briked wii.

don't know mush bout programming but might be in some sort of use to you.

might be great if i can use this hack to flash back a donor nand with its own keys to fix brick wii not capable of running bootmii as boot2