chrisman01

OP
Trophies
Website
empireofsteel.thecomicseries.com
XP
Country
United States
""The markings on the CPU package yield no clues about its performance, but my guess is that any ARM9 or ARM11 CPU manufactured in 2007 would have a performance around the 266-533 MHz range," Bunnie says, adding that Linux could have a field day playing around on this system. Hackers, get going! [Bunnie's Blog via MAKE]" --www.gizmodo.com

Homeworld 1 minimum requirements:

System:
PII 233 or equivalent
RAM:
32 MB
Video Memory:
4 MB
Hard Drive Space:
150 MB (will fit in internal memory)

Recommended:

System:
PII 350 or equivalent
RAM:
64 MB
Video Memory:
12 MB
Hard Drive Space:
400 MB (so you'll definitely need an SD card)

Anyone else thinking what I'm thinking??

It shouldn't be that hard to port; replace the mouse with the touch screen, and maybe hold down a shoulder button if you want to right click, and you're good to go! People have already ported Quake and Doom, so this shouldn't be so much of a stretch....

Hiigara 4 Life!!
yaynds.gif

noONE

~~~~~~~~~~~~
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
I'm 100% sure that you don't know a tiny bit about programming..
"It shouldn't be that hard to port; replace the mouse with the touch screen, and maybe hold down a shoulder button if you want to right click, and you're good to go!"

Yeah.. because it's only to change controls, and then the game is ported..

RAM:
32 MB
Video Memory:
4 MB
That's 36MB of RAM needed.. And that's only for minimum requirement

DOOM/Quake required alot less RAM to work, sure DSi has 16MB instead of 4MB(4MB was about the requirement for DOOM) but it's still a bit short.

Also, just becuase the ARM CPUs are quite new, doesn't mean they're alot more powerful.. ( I think it's said that they're about twice the power) Nintendo could've easily decided to make them stripped down budget CPUs (they are custom made for Nintendo after all..)

First of all the DSi needs to be unlocked for homebrew..

"c'mon, people, this post has been here for a week now..." What the hell? you posted this yesterday, having a hard time with time perception eh?

DanTheManMS

aka Ricochet Otter
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
chrisman01 said:
c'mon, people, this post has been here for a week now... DOES NOBODY CARE???
cry.gif
2 days is not a week. Doom and Quake had source code to work with. The DSi probably wouldn't have enough power even if source code was available.

If you want to see this happen, the most surefire way would be to do it yourself. Then you'll realize just how difficult of a task it would be.

TwinBlades

Trophies
XP
Country
OMG I LOVE THAT GAME! But I love the 2nd one cause you can mod it. I'm playing the Gundam Seed Mod with english patch from the Chinese one (Dont ask me for it). Doubt it will come out for the DS.

GhostToast

Trophies
Website
whatthephoto.com
XP
Country
United States
DanTheManMS said:
chrisman01 said:
cry.gif
2 days is not a week. Doom and Quake had source code to work with. The DSi probably wouldn't have enough power even if source code was available.

If you want to see this happen, the most surefire way would be to do it yourself. Then you'll realize just how difficult of a task it would be.

http://www.homeworldsdl.org/

there's the source code.
don't get me wrong though, i voted "wtf is homeworld" and don't think this would be an easy project.

UltraMagnus

hic sunt dracones
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
GhostToast said:
DanTheManMS said:
chrisman01 said:
cry.gif

http://www.homeworldsdl.org/

there's the source code.
don't get me wrong though, i voted "wtf is homeworld" and don't think this would be an easy project.

guess I have been out of the loop for a while, is that the HW1 or 2 source?

I doubt it would even be worth porting, the systems are so different it would be easier to just start again from scratch

nab

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
While we're at it, why not make HOMM1/2/3 (Heroes of Might and Magic for those who don't know) on DSi? It's not a cpu intensive game, and it is a whole lot of AWESOME. Okay, there's no source code available but still..

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20: Nice nice-