Befuddled

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Hi,

This is my first time posting here. I apologize in advance if this has been asked before; nothing recent turned up in searches when I looked.

I bought a New 3DS XL at launch. Since then, I have been using the "Windows (native) method" described by duke_srg here: http://gbatemp.net/threads/how-to-have-a-homemade-streetpass-relay.352645/page-10#post-4739510

It's worked perfectly, flawlessly even, for nearly 2 weeks -- until yesterday. Nothing has changed on my end, no settings have been altered or hardware switched out. I'm on Windows 7 (64-bit) and using a TP-Link WN725N USB wireless adapter.

Suddenly I'm just not getting any streetpasses anymore. The nzone.exe script is running for sure; it is still frequently trying to cycle through MAC addresses (USB adapter is disconnecting/reconnecting as usual), but the actual ConsoleNintendo3DS connection is no longer receiving any packets at all. No clue why. I even set it up again on another system (laptop), and ran into the exact same problem (i.e. it never worked because the connection wasn't receiving any traffic). I've also tried deleting shared network settings' registry entries, uninstalling/reinstalling the USB adapter, and even the VMWare method (has never worked for me). Nada.

Is this a common problem? Have others had this issue and been able to fix it? Or is it something that's out of my hands, perhaps something wrong with the streetpass relays?

Thanks in advance for any help/advice!

Xander641

Trophies
Website
www.google.com
XP
Country
United States
So two days ago my computer stopped receiving packets when using nZone.exe Today I went to my local coffee shop with my laptop and voila! everything was working. I think either there is something wrong with my ISP or Nintendo black listed my IP address at home so I cannot use it at home any more... Since I know how frustrating it is to go through this, I saw this post in my mad search to resolve this issue so I signed up on this website just to post my findings.

Befuddled

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Thank you for the reply! That's very interesting...

I plan to try it one more time (when I get the time, been too busy lately), and if it doesn't work perhaps try the other Windows methods again as well. If anything changes or happens to work, I'll update this thread. But yeah, definitely frustrating.

Befuddled

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
UPDATE:

I tried other methods, but either ran into issues with not being able to have an "open" (unsecured) hosted network, OR there not being Linux drivers available for my USB wireless adapter (in the case of the VMware method).

However, the creator of the nzone.exe method, duke_srg, suggested that maybe, if my IP address had remained static recently, that his nzone server may have gotten stuck with my old authentication key such that even though everything was working on MY side, the wrong key was being used and thus the 3DS could not connect.

Lo and behold, he got around to clearing the nzone server's cache and now HOMEPASS WORKS AGAIN! :D

So for anyone who had everything working just fine with nzone.exe before, and it suddenly stopped working with no change on your end -- try it again, now that the cache was cleared. And/or try changing your IP address. (This also likely explains why Xander641 had success with using it at the coffee shop after it got "stuck" at home. Different IP address.)

Hope this helps someone.

Sirstiv

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Guys.... this nzone.exe technique isn't really idiot proof. I got it working once.

You can't even see when macs are changing, and when you check your adapter settings it's something totally different to whats in that nzone.macs file.

Does MaCycler not work anymore at all passworded? Man i just miss using that method.

Sirstiv

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I only have my wifi chip, which i can make it work vitually. The old password method works. Just not the non-passworded method. :(.

hamstrman

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Glad this thread exists... I just got mine working this past Friday using the DD-WRT method on my Belkin N+ Router. I was friggin' thrilled! And in the last 12-18 hours, I change my virtual MAC address manually and no StreetPasses...

I have a TP-Link Adapter and tried that method and nothing...
I set up a hotspot on my rooted Android phone, tried that method and nothing...
I tried using VMPlayer, Virtual Router, and others.

The only thing that worked for me was setting up DD-WRT on my router. AND IT'S GONE!! I haz a sad. Does anyone manually change their MAC address using DD-WRT and can determine why mine isn't working anymore?? :cry:

Edit: Oh, and I can't cycle MAC addresses using my method. No big deal if I can get it to work again manually...

SteveSteveSTEVE

Trophies
XP
Country
My homepass setup was working just fine this morning, but now I can't get anything to work. Maccheck finds invalid numbers, cmd finds "no hosted network compatible wireless interface found" and before this I couldn't find internet either. Can anyone help?

Nevircs

Trophies
XP
Country
Made an account because I'm at a loss after fruitless googling and reading the same things.

I am using the nzone.exe method developed around these parts. I've had this working in the past (around April) and am trying to get it up and running again. I am using:
- Windows 7
- Wired connection for my internet
- Wireless USB for my virtual networking spoofing (ASUS USB-N10 https://www.asus.com/au/Networking/USBN10_NANO/)

Following the guide to a tee, i get everything up and running:
- Virtual Network (ConsoleNintendo3DS) has the correct MAC Address (netsh wlan show hostednetwork)
- Virtual Network changes MAC Addresses correctly as per the nzone.exe input (BASE1, BASE16, BASE256)
- Nintendo 3DS recognises the virtual network as a 'Nintendo Zone' (Icon flashes on the 3DS)

What is NOT happening however is the 'connection to internet', or 'receiving packets' problem. And this is where the limit of my knowledge about networking ends.

Now I have tried methodically:
- resetting adapters,
- removing all relevant regedit information associated with old HOSTEDNETWORK entries,
- Changing IP address of the IPv4 on the virtual network between AUTO and 192.168.137.1

The only success I have read about this problem has been in this thread from the user Befuddled, where they contacted duke_srg and he reset something server side, causing keys to refresh (or something).

I don't have any idea how the communication works (and if someone can explain in ELI5), this leads me to believe that my Virtual Network has to talk to a 'nzone.exe server' somewhere, which takes care of the remaining 'spoofing'. And maybe the problem is that my IP address has already been used to some specific set of characteristics, so the nzone.exe server is seeing me as an 'imposter'???

Can anyone explain the setup outside of my own control, and/or has anyone had any luck with getting their virtual network setup using nzone.exe to recieve packets / give internet access to their 3DS?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: good night