Homebrew without flashcarts?

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by Netsa, Nov 12, 2014.

1. Netsa
    OP

Netsa Newbie

Newcomer
    Nov 12, 2014
    United States
    Hi everyone, I'm a new poster.

Jumping right on-subject, one of the sticky'd threads says "Homebrew is now possible without flashcarts thanks to Fierce Waffle's ROP Loader."

Well, I... don't know what that means or what that is. The thread linked to, for the ROP Loader, seems to be for developers to get support for one another, so I opted to just make a new thread. Can I get homebrew on my 3DS without using a flash cartridge, or was that info more saying that homebrew is now creatable without using a flash cartridge or something like that?

And even if I can, the thread also mentioned that only versions 4.1 to 4.5 were hackable. Does that apply to the homebrew thing, too? In other words, am I hopeless unless I buy a flash cart?

2. Relys

Relys Master of Computer Science

Jan 5, 2007
    United States
    4.1-4.5 3DS. Only DS mode flashcard is required (R4i, DSTwo) for homebrew now.

3. Vappy

Vappy GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

May 23, 2012
  4. MarkDarkness

MarkDarkness Deliverator

Dec 17, 2009
    Poland
    Smealum has been promising it for the release of N3DS... let's see if he holds up his promise this time.

PS: But don't get your hopers up. It'll probably be like: BUT OH, FIRMWARE 10 IS GOING TO HAVE SO AND SO FEATURE AND IT WOULD BE SO COOL, SO LET'S HOLD OFF A FEW MORE MONTHS.

5. Netsa
    OP

Netsa Newbie

Newcomer
    Nov 12, 2014
    United States
    I don't have a flash cart of any kind. Guess I'll wait for the New 3DS. Thanks for the info.

6. Ronhero

Ronhero Too Weird to Live, Too Rare to Die

Jun 28, 2014
    United States
    Arizona Bay

You can get a ds flash cart for like $12 shipped, seems worth it to me