Homebrew help overseas

Discussion in 'NDS - Emulation and Homebrew' started by jan_jan, Oct 19, 2008.

Oct 19, 2008

Homebrew help overseas by jan_jan at 2:14 PM (1,216 Views / 0 Likes) 9 replies

1. jan_jan
    OP

Newcomer jan_jan Newbie

Japan
    Hello everyone, first post here and totally new to homebrew, emulators and the like, so please bare with me.

Basically, im currently living in Japan, and would like to try using Homebrew software - i have read about the R4/M3 style cards (among various others) and was hoping to purchase one - however, as such cards are also associated with illegal downloads, i so far havent been able to purchase one from a store over here. also, my cards are maxed out right now so i cant order over the internet from america or something. So, i was wondering if anyone here knows of somewhere in japan (preferably Kansai area) where they sell such things or maybe import them from overseas?

Also, although my japanese speaking is fine, my reading ability is not very high, so even though i see many many great looking games everyday i cant really play them properly if i buy them. however, i previously picked up Phoenix Wright 3, as i discovered the cart contained an english translation - boy was i happy! So i was wondering if anyone knows of any other games on sale in Japan with translations?

Not sure if anyone can help but any information would be greatly appreciated!

2. kennypu

Member kennypu GBAtemp Fan

United States
    if you live in japan, go to akihabara. Just find some private game/electronic shops there, and u'll find carts :]

3. jan_jan
    OP

Newcomer jan_jan Newbie

Japan
    yeeeah, i thought i could get something in akihabara. the problem is its an expensive 9 hour trip from osaka, which i wont be able to make anytime soon : / do you know anywhere maybe in the kansai area?

4. 12elis

Newcomer 12elis Member

United States
    wow yeah. i heard there was a pretty big market of R4s in M3s in Japan though. thought they were all over the place man. it might actually be worth the 9hour trip the way i see it. i mean paying for nds games is ridiculous, considering that if it were an .nds file it would be like 4mb on the computer. 30$ for 4mb? are u frickin kidding me?

5. DanTheManMS

Member DanTheManMS aka Ricochet Otter

United States
    1. With gas prices the way they are (even at their current decline), no, it wouldn't be worth it.
    2. No DS game is 4 MB. Minimum is 8 MB, current max is 512 MB though that may increase in the future.
    3. You're paying for the game itself, not just the media card it happens to be on. Thus, ordinary pricing rules for memory space don't really apply. At all.

6. kennypu

Member kennypu GBAtemp Fan

United States
    hmm..in the kansai area, i'll look into it. If you have any japanese friends, you can ask if there are any private game shops, they usually have one or two flashcarts if you ask for one(magikon in jpn). Since I don't live in japan anymore(although i'll probobly be going back this winter or next summer), I can't give you specifics but i'll look into it nontheless

7. Wabsta

Member Wabsta you fight like a dairy farmer

Netherlands
    Aren't there "legal" cards? Like Max Media thing? That can run homebrew, and I've found it in gamestores in the Netherlands... So maybe it is in stores in Japan too...

8. updowners

Member updowners lurklurklurk

Australia
    i got a m3 simply in osaka for about 6000 yen.
    i think the place was called den den town

9. jan_jan
    OP

Newcomer jan_jan Newbie

Japan
    hey guys, thanks a lot for your help [​IMG] if you think of anything else please let me know, it would be greatly appreciated [​IMG] and thanks for the tip updownwers, ill ask around my friends from osaka and see if anyone knows the place [​IMG]

thanks again!

10. updowners

Member updowners lurklurklurk

Australia
    i may be wrong though