Homebrew Development for 3DS

Discussion in '3DS - Homebrew Development and Emulators' started by [GBATemp]~IceStorm, Aug 18, 2015.

1. [GBATemp]~IceStorm
    OP

[GBATemp]~IceStorm Banned

Banned
    Oct 29, 2013
    United States
    yo mama's house
    I have a quick question. I am thinking about getting into Homebrew dev for DS/3DS consoles. I have a proficient knowledge in C++ and am working with ARM. However, I have not programmed on embedded systems before. Should I start to learn development of NDS or should I go to the directly to the 3DS scene?

2. william341
    This message by william341 has been removed from public view by tj_cool, Aug 18, 2015, Reason: Off topic.
    Aug 18, 2015
  3. [GBATemp]~IceStorm
    This message by [GBATemp]~IceStorm has been removed from public view by tj_cool, Aug 18, 2015.
    Aug 18, 2015
  4. Rinnegatamante

Rinnegatamante GBAtemp Psycho!

Nov 24, 2014
    Italy
    Bologna
    NDS and 3DS SDK and way to work are very different (NDS works using both CPUs during homebrews (ARM7 + ARM9) instead of 3DS which uses only ARM11 core.)
    In my opinion, ctrulib is a lot easier if compared to NDS SDK so no, you should start writing code for 3DS right now.

SLiV3R likes this.
  5. TheToaster

TheToaster Warrior of the Toast

Aug 11, 2015
    United States
    USA
    @Rinnegatamante

But ctrulib and other 3DS libraries are very incomplete since the 3DS hacking scene is very new. Should I still learn it first?

6. Rinnegatamante

Rinnegatamante GBAtemp Psycho!

Nov 24, 2014
    Italy
    Bologna
    Don't see why you should study on NDS SDK when you have to develop on 3DS...
    NDS homebrews are very different to 3DS homebrews. ( https://github.com/Yardape8000/NeoDS - Example of NDS code, this is the NeoGeo emulator for DS)

[GBATemp]~IceStorm likes this.
  7. TheToaster

TheToaster Warrior of the Toast

Aug 11, 2015
    United States
    USA
    Thanks, do you have any reference material where I can learn CTRULIB? I assume that it will not be as complete as libnds