Homebrew Channel on vWii changes resolution

Discussion in 'Wii U - Homebrew' started by pBullet, Oct 16, 2016.

1. pBullet
    OP

pBullet SHSL Idol

May 8, 2012
    United States
    Rhode Island
    Everytime I launch HBC, it seems the Wii U treats it as a Virtual Console game and changes the resolution to a very small box on my TV.

I installed a forwarder channel and it seems to work fine, but is there a way to make the HBC itself not do this so I won't need two HBCs on my menu?

2. TotalInsanity4

TotalInsanity4 GBAtemp Supreme Overlord

Dec 1, 2014
    United States
    Under a rock
    There's a homebrew app to fix the resolution. I don't remember what it was called, though

3. pBullet
    OP

pBullet SHSL Idol

May 8, 2012
    United States
    Rhode Island
    Does the app have to be run each time, or is a permanent change?

4. 9thSage

9thSage GBAtemp Fan

Aug 8, 2008
    United States
    if you want, there's a forwarder to the HBC that you can install/use to work around that issue...again though, you're going to have to hunt for it. It's been a long time since I installed it.

5. pBullet
    OP

pBullet SHSL Idol

May 8, 2012
    United States
    Rhode Island

6. 9thSage

9thSage GBAtemp Fan

Aug 8, 2008
    United States
    OH, I'm sorry. I somehow completely missed that (this is why I shouldn't post things late at night). You could probably work around it by changing the ID of the Homebrew Channel...er...channel. That's what the WiiU is looking at to decide what aspect ratio it should be. How you would go about doing this though, I'm not sure.

7. TotalInsanity4

Dec 1, 2014
    United States
    Under a rock
    Yeah, it would have to be run every time. Another option is just moving the actual Homebrew Channel to the last page on the menu and keeping the forwarder on the first or second page

8. pBullet
    OP

pBullet SHSL Idol

May 8, 2012
    United States
    Rhode Island
    Good idea. I think I'll do that.

CreeperMario and TotalInsanity4 like this.
  9. thekarter104

thekarter104 GBAtemp Maniac

Mar 28, 2013
    United States
    Yeah, you have to have the green HBC. There may be other colors, but the green one does the fix, that's what I use.

10. TotalInsanity4

Dec 1, 2014
    United States
    Under a rock
    Any of the different colored forwarders by Joostin work equally well

plyscho likes this.
  11. Drew That Gamer

Drew That Gamer weeb

Dec 29, 2015
    United States
    Arlington, VA
  12. CreeperMario

CreeperMario GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jun 18, 2016
    Australia
    OSv10 v15702
    Fun Fact: I was about to look at HBC's source to see if I could somehow change the title ID that it is installed to, but as it turns out, HBC is closed-source.

13. plyscho

plyscho GBAtemp Regular

Sep 22, 2016
    Gambia, The
    Alternatively, you can use Homebrew Filter. It doesn't switch to 4:3.

But you can't hotplug the SD card while running Homebrew Filter, so I still prefer Homebrew Channel + HBC Forwarder. (You can't put new apps on the SD card with Homebrew Filter already running. Homebrew Filter will crash.)

You can't change the ID of the HBC. While I'd like to be proven wrong here, I tried and it resultet in a non working HBC. You could edit a older version of HBC (there are wads floating around), but I doubt a downgrade would be worth it (should only be tried within SNEEK since there might be a chance of bricking your vWii).

14. Sonic Angel Knight

Sonic Angel Knight GBAtemp Legend

May 27, 2016
    United States
    New York
    Isn't the reason why it happens is cause the title id of the channel? I'm not sure myself but it seem logical, i actually had installed Wiiflow channel and i have to load it to load homebrew channel in 16:9 but since wiiflow can load homebrew is probably not as important but still thanks for addressing this, i meant to do something about it. :)

15. CreeperMario

Jun 18, 2016
    Australia
    OSv10 v15702
    Yes, its because the title ID begins with "L" ("LULZ" I believe it was). This makes the Wii U think it is a Virtual Console game, and it is forced to 4:3.

plyscho likes this.
  16. Sonic Angel Knight

Sonic Angel Knight GBAtemp Legend

May 27, 2016
    United States
    New York
    Just curious, has the title id for homebrew browser been changed at all with each update? The point is i only noticed the 4:3 resolution problem when using homebrew channel with wiii u system, but not the wii system. So i assume it was the case.

17. CreeperMario

Jun 18, 2016
    Australia
    OSv10 v15702
    With pretty much every Wii update since they fixed Twilight Hack (or something along those lines), Nintendo black-listed (blocked) the title IDs used by the Homebrew Channel and DVDX. So, after each update, they had to change the title IDs. When 4.3 came out, they agreed upon "LULZ" as the title ID. Nintendo never actually black-listed that ID.

When Wii U firmware update 4.0 came out, it updated the vWii mode to force all titles beginning with "L" to render in 4:3, even though the OS and all other titles render correctly. This is because Nintendo's purpose for titles beginning with "L" was the Virtual Console, which looks weird stretched at 16:9. So it makes sense on their end, but not on our end.

Since the HackMii installer is closed-source, I cannot fork it and change the title ID it installs to, and it seems the original developers have abandoned the project, the only way around it is to install a forwarder channel, unless it is possible to manually change the title ID, which I would probably do in an emuNAND so you don't end up bricking your vWii. ;)

vgmoose and plyscho like this.
  18. plyscho

plyscho GBAtemp Regular

Sep 22, 2016
    Gambia, The
    I've tried that, it doesn't work. You will seen the "you've been scammed" screen. There seems to be code within the HBC that verifies the title ID.

Forwarder, Widescreen Fix app or Homebrew Filter. Those three solutions exist, unless you can decompile the HBC.

CreeperMario likes this.