Homebrew Channel Boot Problem System 4.0

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by gamepopper, Mar 26, 2009.

Mar 26, 2009
  1. gamepopper
    OP

Newcomer gamepopper Member

United Kingdom
    I installed cIOS36 before using the Wii Firmwire 4.0 Updater by Wakinono. I copied my Homebrew Channel onto the SD Card Menu along with my VC/Wiiware channels and seeing in the Hackmii.com blog post comments on Firmwire 4.0, it should work. So I stupidly deleted the Homebrew Channel on my Wii System Menu, I tried the SD Card Menu and all I got was the Launching bar for a millisecond (really) and a message popped up saying "Failed to Launch". When I tried to copy back the channel to my System Menu, the Wii makes a joke at me by saying "This channel may not have been copied".

So now I ask, why doesn't it boot when people on the internet say it works on theirs? How can I get it working? and is there a workaround to get me and people to install the Homebrew Channel currently being worked on?

2. PainToad

Member PainToad GBAtemp Regular

Australia
    HBC can't be launched off SD (or copied back), now you don't have it on your Wii there is nothing you can do. Try reading next time.

3. gamepopper
    OP

United Kingdom
    Wow thanks asshole, go on Hackmii and find the blog on the System 4.0 firmwire and you'll see that for some people HBC did work. So yeah I did read [​IMG]

If you want proof? Well here it is. "I dunno if anyone else has tried, but I happened to have the homebrew channel on my SD card as well as on my wii, so for kicks I launched the HBC off the SD card and it launched it with no problems at all. Is that because I have the HBC on my wii too?" jline64 // Mar 25, 2009 at 8:18 pm

4. Dr Eggman

Member Dr Eggman I am THE Eggman.

Canada
    Did you install the Trucha IOS60,61? If so, then you will be able to launch it (i did).
    If you didn't, then you cannot launch custom channels, etc.
    Oh, and btw, since the TW Hack doesn't work, you're kinda screwed for now, since there is no other way to install the HBC.

PS. Heres the installer:
    File
    And also a good guide to updating to 4.0:
    The Guide

5. joda

Member joda GBAtemp Fan

Sweden
    Well, question: Did you remove HBC with system menu or Any Title Deleter? Cause if you screwed the ticket, the Wii will never boot it. Also, have you trucha-patched IOS60? (the piracy patch ...) If not, you cannot run trucha-signed channels from SD. And yes, HBC is trucha-signed.

So if you have trucha-capabilities on IOS60 and the ticket intact on you Wii, you can run it -- otherwise, you're bummed.

EDIT:
    Eggman: you beat me to it ... =)

6. gamepopper
    OP

United Kingdom
    [​IMG] I don't think so, damn. I was told by my friend to install that cIOS36 thing, not IOS60. and yes for the other guy I deleted it using the Wii Channel settings, I don't know if that would screw up my ticket (I'm not sure what that is).

Oh and Dr Eggman, it's helpful to give me info on how to update it AFTER this problem occurred to me. [​IMG]

P.S. I've check on HackMii and they are currently finding a way to install HBC so fingers crossed.

7. joda

Member joda GBAtemp Fan

Sweden
    Well, in that case, the ticket is still there, and the problem lies solely in the fact that the IOS (60) that your system menu runs hasn't gotten the trucha bug repatched into.

8. krissynz

Newcomer krissynz Advanced Member

United States
    Here is a solution.

1. Switch everything you need from the Wii Memory to an SD card.
    2. Reformat the Wii's Memory, this will make it the version it originally was.
    3. Reinstall HBC and set it back up to play backups, including adding the Trucha bug and installing the cIOS.

Also make sure NOT to erase HBC off your system memory. Then you should be set to go, you can then reupdate your firmware to 4.0. Word of advice though, 4.0 will not allow you to add .wads, yet anyway.

9. koji2009

Member koji2009 GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    krissynz: Have you actually tried a wiiformat? It doesn't sound like it. Formatting the wii will NOT downgrade it and therefore your tutorial will not work. It will still be system menu 4.0 after the "format".

All the format does is erase save and channel data as well clear all the installed titles... the system menu remains exactly as it was.

10. krissynz

Newcomer krissynz Advanced Member

United States
    Personally I haven't tried it no, I will admit to that, however someone I know who has fixed Wiis in the past told me this soultion works since supposedly it deletes everything installed onto the system, and all the new firmware is, is an installation.

11. BBking83

Member BBking83 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Australia
    Where does it say he deleted it before upgrading?