Homebrew Homebrew Browser Source Code released

Alexander1970

XP not matters.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Austria
As a fairly recent subscriber to the MVG channel, I was watching the latest video on Homebrew Wars when I saw the Homebrew Browser mentioned! I had pretty much forgotten about it which made me smile when I saw it :). Good to know that some users have modified the URL in the dol file so they can keep it up to date.

I had planned to release the source but forgot about it and the video reminded me that I should release the source so I hope someone can put it to good use. I must warn you that the source is quite bad so don’t expect to see something good. I won’t be able to answer any specifics about it as I don’t remember most of it, it’s been 8 years! (and I’ve moved on to other things)

So here it is: HBB Source v0.3.9e
And if you need the old devkitPro version with an old libogc version here’s the devkitPro directory I used: devkitPro for HBB v0.3.9e

http://www.codemii.com/2020/01/02/homebrew-browser-source/

niuus

Trophies
XP
Country
Venezuela
As a fairly recent subscriber to the MVG channel, I was watching the latest video on Homebrew Wars when I saw the Homebrew Browser mentioned! I had pretty much forgotten about it which made me smile when I saw it :). Good to know that some users have modified the URL in the dol file so they can keep it up to date.

I had planned to release the source but forgot about it and the video reminded me that I should release the source so I hope someone can put it to good use. I must warn you that the source is quite bad so don’t expect to see something good. I won’t be able to answer any specifics about it as I don’t remember most of it, it’s been 8 years! (and I’ve moved on to other things)

And if you need the old devkitPro version with an old libogc version here’s the devkitPro directory I used: devkitPro for HBB v0.3.9e

This is pretty cool in our recent times. Thanks for your efforts! Many people has enjoyed your software for a long time, easing a lot of the homebrew install process.

Last edited by niuus,
Reactions: Alexander1970

raz0red

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks a lot for the great work on the Homebrew Browser, and for releasing the source!

I set up a repository in GitHub with the source:

https://github.com/raz0red/homebrew-browser

I was able to get it building with the latest versions of devkitPro and libogc. It is still using older versions of grrlib, png, and freetype (contained in the source).

I also set up a continuous integration Action workflow in GitHub. This means that for every commit to the repository a build is made available. If you look at the "commits" you can see a check mark next to the build if it was successful. If you click on the check mark, and then click details, it will take you to the build. Once there, in the upper right hand corner is an "Artifacts" link that you can click to download the build. This also means, that any forks will inherit this automated build (assuming you turn on actions in your fork).

I did very little testing, but I was able to display the browser, install, and run an application.

I also updated the version to 0.4.0-SNAPSHOT as I don't want people to confuse any builds with the last publicly released version (the image has not been updated, but it shows when you launch). It also always prompts to download a new version, just skip this.

At any rate, I just wanted to make it available for others to fork and contribute to.

Ericsonanzois

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil

:bow::bow::bow::bow:.
I hope now that we can find capable devs to enhance it.

Reactions: Alexander1970

newo

Trophies
Website
wiibrew.org
XP
Country
Jamaica
Hopefully some developers pick it up and help to revive the wii homebrew scene. There is definitely an audience still out there. So far this month 76 people have set scores on NA3. Which in comparison to last year is almost a 50% increase. 2019 overall was a much better year than 2018, 2017. All the best for 2020!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight: :ninja: