Homebrew Home screen limit

Draexelion

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
So.. I want to install some GBA and SNES VC injects onto my New 3ds XL and was wondering if it's true that the limit is 300? Does this count if i put apps in folders as well? Thanks!

Ryab

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So.. I want to install some GBA and SNES VC injects onto my New 3ds XL and was wondering if it's true that the limit is 300? Does this count if i put apps in folders as well? Thanks!
there is a 300 title limit and folders do not bypass this though i dont know how you would use all 300

smileyhead

I like cute stuff.
Trophies
Website
sites.google.com
XP
Country
Hungary
An EmuNAND doesn't really get over the 300 limit though. It just gives you another copy of the OS you can boot into, with a separate HOME Menu. While that technically means you have an additional 300 slots to play with, every time you want to switch between the two menus, you need to reboot the console.
Not to mention, EmuNANDs are pretty outdated. It's all about Boot9Strap now, which only uses your original copy of the OS.
By the way, if you get over the 300-title limit, while additional games won't appear on the HOME Menu, you are able to launch them using FBI (or any other title launcher, really).

Reactions: Draexelion

Draexelion

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
An EmuNAND doesn't really get over the 300 limit though. It just gives you another copy of the OS you can boot into, with a separate HOME Menu. While that technically means you have an additional 300 slots to play with, every time you want to switch between the two menus, you need to reboot the console.
Not to mention, EmuNANDs are pretty outdated. It's all about Boot9Strap now, which only uses your original copy of the OS.
By the way, if you get over the 300-title limit, while additional games won't appear on the HOME Menu, you are able to launch them using FBI (or any other title launcher, really).
Yeah i was just reading about EmuNANDs. Sucks... guess i'll have to just deal with the limit... :sad:

MikaDubbz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Placing stamps counts toward the limit as well. So if you have 200 games placed, and then 100 stamps, you wont be able to place any more stamps and any more games you download will appear on the homescreen, but your stamps will start to disappear as you add more games. However, there is an odd caveat to this: Multiples of the same badge only count as one item placed. So say you have 299 games installed, and then place 10 or so of the same badge, the system will let you do that without issue. Try and place a different badge though and it wont.

Last edited by MikaDubbz,
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Placing stamps counts toward the limit as well. So if you have 200 games placed, and then 100 stamps, you wont be able to place any more stamps and any more games you download will appear on the homescreen, but your stamps will start to disappear as you add more games. However, there is an odd caveat to this: Multiples of the same badge only count as one item placed. So say you have 299 games installed, and then place 10 or so of the same badge, the system will let you do that without issue. Try and place a different badge though and it wont.

So what you're saying, it is possible to have:
  • 299 games
  • every available spot on HOME Menu filled with folders
  • each folder filled with the same badge to the MAX
??
If that's the case, this could be a lead in digging around and finding that 300 title limiter wherever the hell it is if its on CTRNAND.

smileyhead

I like cute stuff.
Trophies
Website
sites.google.com
XP
Country
Hungary
  • 299 games
I would love to see if that lags out the system. :creep:

Ryccardo

Penguin accelerator
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
finding that 300 title limiter
Oh, it is in the home launcher... but even if you changed the hard number, you still need memory for loading the icons, and memory+storage for the title.db (neither directly related to the number of 300, but the obvious consequence of giving non-tech-educated people a "300 limit unlocked" patch)

And yes, it's a 300 icon limit, not a 300 title limit

SkylarTheNerd

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Oh, it is in the home launcher... but even if you changed the hard number, you still need memory for loading the icons, and memory+storage for the title.db (neither directly related to the number of 300, but the obvious consequence of giving non-tech-educated people a "300 limit unlocked" patch)

Case closed?

Ryccardo

Penguin accelerator
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Case closed?
No, "you" can in theory always make a homebrew replacement for Home (in practice, it's not just a regular app and neither a regular multitasking applet like browser/notes/memeverse, it has stronger integration with the kernel/drivers as you would expect, and the man behind the effort - MarcusD - doesn't have too much time & interest anymore); or you could use TestMenu + DevMenu (or a simple menu-based launcher with caching, installed as the same titleID of DevMenu, for top list-loading performance) completely bypassing official Home; but I doubt said people will like to reject the point and click interface

Reactions: SkylarTheNerd

SkylarTheNerd

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No, "you" can in theory always make a homebrew replacement for Home (in practice, it's not just a regular app and neither a regular multitasking applet like browser/notes/memeverse, it has stronger integration with the kernel/drivers as you would expect, and the man behind the effort - MarcusD - doesn't have too much time & interest anymore); or you could use TestMenu + DevMenu (or a simple menu-based launcher with caching, installed as the same titleID of DevMenu, for top list-loading performance) completely bypassing official Home; but I doubt said people will like to reject the point and click interface

My man, as far as I'm concerned, that just means case closed lol

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

As far as you know, since you're more knowledgeable in this subject, is the 3DS/N3DS hardware limited (memory and storage wise) in loading over 300 icons? If not, does that mean the limit is software based, correctable or patchable if the 3ds firmware was ever cracked?

MikaDubbz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
  • 299 games
??
If that's the case, this could be a lead in digging around and finding that 300 title limiter wherever the hell it is if its on CTRNAND.

I should have been more specific. While you can place multiples of the same badge, there does seem to be a certain amount (might have been about 10 or 12), before it decides to count that you're placing another item. I can't say I fully understand it, but multiples will only count as one item placed up to a certain amount placed.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Well we shouldn't say 300 icon limit exactly either. Because that doesn't take into account the 40 additional DSi icons we can load up the screen with as well, folders don't seem to count toward the limit either. And as mentioned you can place multiples of badges with it still only counting as one badge, so you can have well beyond 300 tiles filled on the Home Menu and within folders on the Home Menu (hell I'm hovering right around 350 total icons with all my titles, DSi titles/DS game forwarders, folders, and a few multiple badges) Yet stupidly, even if I get rid of all 40 of my DS icons, I still wouldn't be able to add any more 3DS games or badges at this point (and have them all appear on the home menu), which is evidence that the 300 limit they implemented was a soft number, we could probably go upwards of 400 tiles without having any real slowdown on the menu, I don't really experience slowdown as it is (though I do most have everything organized neatly into about 10 folders or so).

Last edited by MikaDubbz,

Ryccardo

Penguin accelerator
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
is the 3DS/N3DS hardware limited (memory and storage wise) in loading over 300 icons?
The number "300" is most likely a man-made choice (to hide the "dirty inner workings" as most companies, but especially console makers and Nintendo even more so like to do), but I don't know if the true maximum of official Home is 301, 399, or 69 hundred, you can't even really estimate from the size of an icon.icn/smdh file since all of the other code of Home (and any other resources - whether of Home or pulled from other titles/the SD) get into play; and the limit was likely set before launch - they kept room in memory for new features/bloat

(When I still had some O3DSes, I always ran the 8.1 Home on them - much faster icon loading)

RAM is effectively partitioned in 3 parts, one for the main game, one for applets, and another for drivers - the "high memory" games reboot the console with these assignments changed to another preset -- https://www.3dbrew.org/wiki/Memory_layout#FCRAM_memory-regions_layout this is one of the hardest to understand pages of 3dbrew, but give a glance to the 2 tables and you'll probably get the idea; part of "SYSTEM" is what Home uses

Reactions: TurdPooCharger
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well we shouldn't say 300 icon limit exactly either. Because that doesn't take into account the 40 additional DSi icons we can load up the screen with as well, folders don't seem to count toward the limit either. And as mentioned you can place multiples of badges with it still only counting as one badge, so you can have well beyond 300 tiles filled on the Home Menu and within folders on the Home Menu (hell I'm hovering right around 350 total icons with all my titles, DSi titles/DS game forwarders, folders, and a few multiple badges) Yet stupidly, even if I get rid of all 40 of my DS icons, I still wouldn't be able to add any more 3DS games or badges at this point (and have them all appear on the home menu), which is evidence that the 300 limit they implemented was a soft number, we could probably go upwards of 400 tiles without having any real slowdown on the menu, I don't really experience slowdown as it is (though I do most have everything organized neatly into about 10 folders or so).

Have you noticed when you minimize the icon size to the smallest on HOME Menu, the maximum allotted slot is 360? Maybe that ties in with the badge limit if you try maxing 3DS and DSi titles. I think there's a GUI rendering issue in there, too if we want to break it.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: good night