Hardware Home button stucked even with the bar disconnected from motherboard

mario_onto

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Hi, I have a PSP Street and I'm having this issue with the Home button: it's like it's always pressed.
At the beginning I thought to replace the front bar but I noticed the I have the same issue even if I remove the bar from the motherboard.
This issue prevent me from using a permanent firmware because if you power on the psp pressing the home button it boots up with the OFW instead of the CFW.
Also, if I start an emulator or any other game it keeps opening the menu because it's mapped to the home button.
In another thread @Foxi4 suggested to disassemble the unit and give it a good scrub because the HOME trace may be shorting to ground somewhere.
I'll give it a try and post here the result so if anyone else will have the same issue may find a solution.
If someone's tips about how to check for possible shorting to ground or how to clean the motherboard avoiding to break some stuff I'll be glad to hear your opinion.
Thank in advance.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Glad to hear that my advice worked! Dust likes to get conductive after long-term storage, and there's moisture at play too - it's why you don't connect vintage equipment to the mains before a thorough inspection. Another one saved, good job, man!

mario_onto

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I forgot to mention that removing the battery cable I damaged the motherboard because the three pins were to weak :wacko:
So now I can only play plugged with the charger :psp:

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Big yikes! Well, I don't know if it helps, but with a little care you *can* hardwire the battery to the mobo, or do the full monty and replace the whole connector as long as you haven't ripped the traces off the PCB. If you have, you can trace them back to the next closest component and solder to that pad instead. On the bright side... it works now! :yaypsp:

mario_onto

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Do you know where I'd find the TA-097 schematic? I was able to find the one for another psp model but not the one for the Street.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Never worked on the Street myself, and I can't say I've ever used a schematic for a repair either - I just track the trace with a meter. At the end of the day it's just three traces - positive, negative and sense. I'd be surprised if the general area of the connector wasn't similar to the previous models. If I were to find a schematic, between Google-fu and here, I'd try Acid Mods or other websites dedicated strictly to hardware.

mario_onto

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Should I weld on those three point? Because the traces are gone.

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2020-09-18 at 12.15.05.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2020-09-18 at 12.15.05.jpeg
    231.5 KB · Views: 283

Ryccardo

Penguin accelerator
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Yeah, you should scratch off the green paint and connect to another point of the track
(might be problematic for the thermal sensor pin, though I don't remember if it's actually used)

mario_onto

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Yeah, you should scratch off the green paint and connect to another point of the track
(might be problematic for the thermal sensor pin, though I don't remember if it's actually used)
No way, I tried to weld on those point but they are too damaged.
As you can see from the picture I have only the first one available whereas the other two are gone.
What can I do in order to connect the battery again to the mobo?
I mean, I'm so close to finish repairing my psp that I don't want to give up now :cry:

Attachments

• PSP E1004 mobo.jpg
    PSP E1004 mobo.jpg
    662.3 KB · Views: 243

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Veho @ Veho: Has he had seizures before?