Banned!
OP
Banned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I was walking about the newsagents and saw the apc (Aus pc)
And it had 3 distros of linux on it, it was 10 bucks so i thought why not.
Then after the trip home a made a quick vm and tryed puppy linux and for some crap reason it shat its self.
and then i tryed linux mint.
Booted it had a look and a fell in love.
Its like the best OS I've seen.
So i installed it and it only got better.
Everything works and just is freaking cool.
I Wish i had compiz in vmware though.

As i was to be bothered i set it up as other os in vmware and i cant install tools.
so i just cranked the res.

Thought id just share my thoughts

*youtube fest*

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=brkj5vE3WBc

How did that little arab do that?

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Question: puppy linux, it is a live distribution by design (that is to say it is designed to run from disc and will only touch your hardware if you tell it to). Why then the need for vmware?

As for linux mint good job, those guys seem to be on the right path when it comes to designing an OS.

Regarding compiz, every time I turn around it seems to have forked or something but for what you want it is an app that sits on top of the desktop environment (I am not up for a breakdown of how various distros do things right now). The usual reason for it not running properly is lack of "proper" graphics drivers (called "restricted drivers" on debian based distros if I recall correctly).
Unless of course you mean how did he do exactly that? In that case I am going to have to direct you to the manual, compiz comes with many features and you can config most of it how you want.

juggernaut911

GBAtemp Slut!
Trophies
Website
google.com
XP
Country
United States
FAST6191 said:
The usual reason for it not running properly is lack of "proper" graphics drivers (called "restricted drivers" on debian based distros if I recall correctly).

That is correct, though, they can be a bitch to get a good version.

x-mah-D

Banned!
OP
Banned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Fair enough.

I Just dont want it as my main OS because im relient on windows even though theres wine and all that.
I went into administration and clicked on hardware drivers or something but there is none needed says it!
It's really nice and they seriously do know how to make an OS
It kicks windows and i'd love to swicth but as i said i need windows because that the main OS these days its on all laptops etc etc.
If i seen an significant change or a lot of developers swicthed to linux i would, but yeah.
Also is there anything like visual studio for linux (Im going to get the shiat flamed out of me, right)
I Like playing around with visual basic and want to see if i can make a program for linux.
Not terminal but GUI

UltraMagnus

hic sunt dracones
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
x-mah-D said:
Fair enough.

I Just dont want it as my main OS because im relient on windows even though theres wine and all that.
this really depends on what programs you use, the are alternatives for most these days, only thing I ever use windows for is RIDE and MPLAB.
QUOTE(x-mah-D @ Apr 5 2009, 11:20 PM) Also is there anything like visual studio for linux (Im going to get the shiat flamed out of me, right)
I Like playing around with visual basic and want to see if i can make a program for linux.
Not terminal but GUI

the are pleanty of IDEs for linux, I don't think the is anything like VB though, the closest would be python. although mono apparently supports VB. and the is gambas.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
re drivers there are 4 levels of graphics driver for linux, I suspect you had the third
1 is the basic Xvesa, if your machine can not cope with it then I am fairly shocked. Low res, low colours (you can change it sometimes) and nothing resembling hardware acceleration though.

2 is the slight improvement from Xorg, nice res and colours but nothing special

3 is the open source drivers from your manufacturer, getting better but as drivers represent many thousands of hours or R and D on algorithms and whatnot and possibly some encryption (stuff like CSS for DVDs) they are not so hot when it comes down to it.

4 is the closed source drivers from your manufacturer, for all modern graphics cards (this may change in the future but for now it holds) drivers are where it is at for everything they need to do. However as graphics drivers a module which effectively makes it part of the kernel which is under GPL it has been argued (and generally accepted) that you can not include them out of the box. This would be my biggest gripe with all of linux, fortunately you can roll your own quite easily these days.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: you can fap to your favorite character without it being gay