Holes on the Switch?

Discussion in 'Switch - Console, Accessories & Hardware' started by fatsquirrel, Feb 1, 2017.

1. fatsquirrel
    OP

fatsquirrel GBAtemp Addict

Nov 11, 2013
    I thought that they serve for cooling also

2. Yil

Yil GBAtemp Addict

Feb 19, 2014
    Canada
    Heat will degrade elasticity and ipad is deisgned to be able to passively cooled.

3. sarkwalvein

sarkwalvein There's hope for a Xenosaga port.

GBAtemp Patron
    sarkwalvein is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jun 29, 2007
    Germany
    Niedersachsen
    Cool! So it will make for an entry point for a CFW! /s

4. fatsquirrel
    OP

Nov 11, 2013
    That's good to know, thanks. Too bad switch isn't....

5. xile6

xile6 GBAtemp Maniac

Jan 15, 2006
    United States
    Ask nyko
    They always make this stuff.

Ill see how hot it gets and i might make a fan for the dock.
    The system shouldnt get too hot in handheld mode, (my cellphone get warm but there also no vents to it) but being dock and playing it for 4hrs it might get a bit warm.

We will see what happens at launch.
    Will probably see alot of add on battery packs also.

osaka35 likes this.
  6. thorasgar

thorasgar Checkout my evil Soon-in-ator™

Jul 3, 2010
    United States
    I found it! It was a video.

DarthDub and sarkwalvein like this.
  7. Robfozz

Robfozz GBAtemp Smartass

Apr 19, 2014
    United States
    Onett
    [​IMG]
    What if

DarthDub and TotalInsanity4 like this.
  8. gamesquest1

gamesquest1 Nabnut

GBAtemp Patron
    gamesquest1 is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Sep 23, 2013
    GBA player, GameCube broadband adapter, GameCube modem, mega cd, ps2 network adapter Nintendo PlayStation, etc etc :P.......but yeah they usually don't get used for anything other than fairly obscure accessories I think they were sometimes used for debugging and stuff too in the factory, funny enough I was talking with a friend a few days ago about how consoles don't have ext ports and stuff any more and decided it was probably because they usually just ended up as things to for piracy/cheating devices to exploit without opening the console (e.g. Doctor v64, ps1 action replay carts) that and that console started getting more and more consumer grade and as they went mainstream they had to look prettier and EXT. PORT and stuff look scary to mainstream consumers who are scared easy or feel like something is missing.......or kids poking their finders inside :ph34r:

TBH I like the mystery ports, even if it is just for the sake of having something to make conspiracy theory's about........ps the holes are for backwards compatibility adapters that plug into it and support every Nintendo console ever, one even adds a blue ray drive for wiiu and wii compatibility, I read a thread about it on gbatemp once

Last edited by gamesquest1, Feb 1, 2017
  9. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    United Kingdom
    You can still have it, you just have to open the device and wonder what the unpopulated headers are for.

TotalInsanity4 likes this.
  10. gamesquest1

gamesquest1 Nabnut

GBAtemp Patron
    gamesquest1 is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Sep 23, 2013
    yeah, but you know they can never really be used for legitimate end user things, like I'm never going to find out there was some bizzare Japanese only CPR training dummy that plugged into the EXT port on the 3DS........although really now all the obsure exotic hardware addons can usually be done via common interfaces like USB etc so I guess that another reason for leaving the old ext ports off now

11. It's plausible that the holes could be for cooling but they sure look a little too big and wide for such thing.

12. grossaffe

grossaffe GBAtemp Psycho!

May 5, 2013
    United States
    It's definitely for cooling. Look at the picture Fast posted on page 2 and you can clearly see the radiator.

13. If cockroaches want to get into your Switch they'll have no trouble (them big holes!) but it's cockroaches so they always find a way.

14. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    United Kingdom
    I rarely see cockroaches in this country. Ants in electronics on the other hand.

Fortunately this is too small for rodents.

Also if we are doing breath/air related songs

15. foob

foob GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Dec 26, 2007
    Higher temperatures in small electronics always means less reliability. You can count on that. Nintendo are pushing the limits of acceptable heat-generation in a portable so this one is more akin to laptop than a 3DS or Vita. They probably have their hardware engineers working on a Switch 2.0 as we speak, both for cost-saving reasons and battery life reasons and heat-reduction reasons: the typical reasons. Every Version 1 portable from Nintendo has been undesirable to me, ever since the DS. Their second major revisions have typically been far better. I don't think the vents will disappear anytime soon, though. This is all part-and-parcel of this hybrid approach.

Last edited by foob, Feb 2, 2017
    Saiyan Lusitano likes this.
  16. The Wii is the exception to that, Wii 1.0 was BC GameCube whereas Wii 2.0 had the GC ports & backwards compatibility removed. But otherwise, I agree with you that Nintendo will eventually release a Switch Tablet 2.0.

Heating shouldn't be much of a problem for those that will use the Pro Controller as their main mode to use the console.. handheld.. hybrid. :P

17. StarTrekVoyager

StarTrekVoyager Soon™

Jun 19, 2016
    France
    Paris
    Lol, perhaps because the Switch is several times more powerful than the iPad Air 2...

18. ItsKipz

ItsKipz l33t hax0r

Sep 9, 2016
    United States
    The C: drive
    this is the greatest thread i've seen all WEEK, thank you

19. fatsquirrel
    OP

Nov 11, 2013
    What part of ''old'' didnt you understand?
    And switch powerful? Yeaaa....no. At least not according to what theyve shown so far.

20. StarTrekVoyager

StarTrekVoyager Soon™

Jun 19, 2016
    France
    Paris
    I said more powerful than the iPad Air 2. The latter is already like 5 times less powerful tha the iPad Pro 12"9, which is several times less powerful than an Nvidia Shield, TV or tablet. Relatively. Of course it's less powerful than a Falcon Northwest Mach V with three Nvidia GTW Titan X GPUs and a 10-core i7-6950X Broadwell-E CPU, but that all depends on the point of view.

Quick Reply
Draft saved Draft deleted