Hiding Torrents the ISP

Discussion in 'Computer Software and Operating Systems' started by JustTheOtherGuy, May 12, 2014.

1. If I did not seed, deleted trackers, etc. is Comcast still going to contact me or my parents with some sort of cease and desist, since I have gotten a warning once or twice before.

2. Arras

Arras GBAtemp Guru

Sep 14, 2010
    Netherlands
    Deleting trackers doesn't help and not seeding probably doesn't help either (besides, you still upload some while downloading). A VPN should probably work but that takes some effort to set up and a monthly fee.

3. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    Short version is "yes they might well do".

Your options if you want to use torrents are buy a seedbox or a VPN located somewhere that does not care (possibly easier said than done) and use them properly. Private sites can work but they are not necessarily safe either -- all the methods you use to sneak onto those sites can also be used by those trying to catch you, there is something to be said for not being low hanging fruit but if you are already in possession of a few warnings then yeah.

We could go long at this point and discuss the protocols, methods of catching you and whatever else but it still boils down to the "your options" line above.

Oh and peerblock is basically useless so don't bother with it.

4. ieatpixels
    This message by ieatpixels has been removed from public view by BORTZ, May 12, 2014, Reason: spam.
    May 12, 2014
  5. FAST6191
    This message by FAST6191 has been removed from public view by BORTZ, May 12, 2014, Reason: replay to drerailment.
    May 12, 2014
  6. Foxi4
    This message by Foxi4 has been removed from public view by BORTZ, May 12, 2014, Reason: replay to drerailment.
    May 12, 2014
  7. Arras
    This message by Arras has been removed from public view by BORTZ, May 12, 2014, Reason: replay to drerailment.
    May 12, 2014
  8. Thanks for the feedback. Guess ill just wait and see

9. Originality

Originality Chibi-neko

Apr 21, 2008
    London, UK
    I'll say one thing about Australia's internet. They didn't mind or stop me from pirating 30+GB of movies and TV shows whilst I was on holiday there. From a 3G PAYG SIM.

Edit (since the context got removed): perhaps if you want to avoid conflict with your ISP, consider looking into mobile broadband deals?

10. mysteryperson699
    This message by mysteryperson699 has been removed from public view by BORTZ, May 12, 2014, Reason: replay to drerailment.
    May 12, 2014
  11. Depravo

Depravo KALSARIKÄNNIT

Global Moderator
    GBAtemp Patron
    Depravo is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Oct 13, 2008
    Purgatory
    Anyway... back to the original topic.