ROM Hack Hex Editor that can edit by "columns" of data?

Rykin

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Heres my issue. I'm currently hex editing some files, and they have an interesting header setup.
The first 2 bytes is for the list of messages in the file. The 2nd two bytes is the idenitifer, and then after that a pointer/length header begins for all the messages.

The headers are 8 bytes, the first four bytes point to the location of the data, the 2nd four bytes list the length.

After all the headers are inputed, the actual messages they're pointing to are inputed.

My issue is that if I want to ADD any data to the text, I need to add a header. What this does is SHIFT all of text data 8 bytes, and that means the original headers are now pointing to the wrong data.

Is there a hex editor that can work like Excel and allow me to only modify a column of data? This would be VERY helpful as it would prevent me from needing to edit each header manually. I can't do a Select_All > Add +8 Because that will add 8 to the length part of the header, but I only want to add it to the pointer.

Any suggestions for Hex Editors are welcome.

P.S. I currently use Hex Workshop and have Hexecute installed.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
You answered your own question. Excel (install analysis toolpak for hex if you have not or get open office) is what I use to do this.
Dump the hex into it and do what you like. You may need an extra stage to rid yourself of the tabs but that is 20 seconds in notepad.
Hex workshop has some nice "copy as" options, copy as text and lose the decoded section and address column.

Sidenote if you want to prevent data being added (inserted) in hex workshop press insert, it will now overwrite (OVR should be coloured in the bottom right corner).

Rykin

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I see what you mean about the indenting. However, I can't keep to paste the file back into the rest of everything. When I try to copy just a few lines it still tries to paste the whole thing, and even then it doesn't paste the right portion. Perhaps my clipboard is being a bit strange since I instally tried to copy from Excel and not the saved .txt.

But that's the fastest way you know of, I assume. It can work- it's better than the alternative. I'll try it out tomorow when it isn't 5am. :>

Do you happen to know the format of how to keep the numbers at least 4 digits? I'm doing a HEX2DEC, +8, DEX2HEX and the inital 00s fo bytes such as 0001 and getting cut off.

Sorry, I've not toyed with excel in a while. :>

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @salazarcosplay, gta v is down since november 2021