Hacking (HENkaku) Homebrew Request Thread

Sonic Angel Knight

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Are plugins possible on the vita?
I dunno, we will have to see. TO be honest with the high encrpytion of the psvita is has lots of downside to many people using so much effort to create homebrew apps for it. But as we been shown it can be possible. So we just have to wait and see.... I really never understand the encryption format of things until it was explain why is used and it just upset me for those reaons. Learning encryption means only specially designed devices can make use of it is what was hard to understand. Things like Why we need this so called special memory card to save our games, and why using a HDD on the console can we not create seperate partition to make use of it for common things atthe same time we use it for the console is just lots of disappointments while is understood it does have those things were for proetection for things like hackers, mods, and piracy to begin with. But its still awful that we can't even back up save data on vita without either copying the WHOLE GAME TO PC or cloud storage with playstation plus subscription. Meanwhile Wii u has NO WAY TO BACK UP ANYTHING. can't back up saves, can't share them, and if i remember correctly all downloads are linked to the system specifically, which means if your system breaks you have to buy games all over again on new system from eshop. (Although not sure if is true or not maybe is been changed i dunno, is what i remember.)

Is mostly seen as huge punishment to hackers, mods and piracy somehow but maybe it actually more to it than we realize. Faster loading times? Compress efficent? Cost reduction? Who knows, it still a bad position to have so many limitations. :(

So is actually nice to know people can still progress even with all those restrictions, Break dem cuffs. :)

Venom Intellect

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I dunno, we will have to see. TO be honest with the high encrpytion of the psvita is has lots of downside to many people using so much effort to create homebrew apps for it. But as we been shown it can be possible. So we just have to wait and see.... I really never understand the encryption format of things until it was explain why is used and it just upset me for those reaons. Learning encryption means only specially designed devices can make use of it is what was hard to understand. Things like Why we need this so called special memory card to save our games, and why using a HDD on the console can we not create seperate partition to make use of it for common things atthe same time we use it for the console is just lots of disappointments while is understood it does have those things were for proetection for things like hackers, mods, and piracy to begin with. But its still awful that we can't even back up save data on vita without either copying the WHOLE GAME TO PC or cloud storage with playstation plus subscription. Meanwhile Wii u has NO WAY TO BACK UP ANYTHING. can't back up saves, can't share them, and if i remember correctly all downloads are linked to the system specifically, which means if your system breaks you have to buy games all over again on new system from eshop. (Although not sure if is true or not maybe is been changed i dunno, is what i remember.)

Is mostly seen as huge punishment to hackers, mods and piracy somehow but maybe it actually more to it than we realize. Faster loading times? Compress efficent? Cost reduction? Who knows, it still a bad position to have so many limitations. :(

So is actually nice to know people can still progress even with all those restrictions, Break dem cuffs. :)
With some very experienced programmers and reverse engineers it may happen faster. Who knows CFW might be a thing one day. And we can hopefully eventually use something other than live area. But that means no P.S store (maybe) i personally wouldn't care about P.S Store since Sony will inevitably patch the exploit. I would love to see something other than Live Area in the future (if possible). Although that's some serious work to undertake.

Last edited by Venom Intellect,
Reactions: Deleted User

Sonic Angel Knight

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
With some very experienced programmers and reverse engineers it may happen faster. Who knows CFW might be a thing one day. And we can hopefully eventually use something other than live area. But that means no P.S store (maybe) i personally wouldn't care about P.S Store since Sony will inevitably patch the exploit. I would love to see something other than Live Area in the future (if possible). Although that's some serious work to undertake.
Is all a matter of effort and knowledge over possibility. Yes these things have happend before and is because of dedicated effor that is been made possible. So is just only up to the people to decide. :)

D

Deleted User

It would be very nice to be able to either keep save data or save it somewhere else. All of my vita games are digital and I won't pay and be punished to cloudsave with psn. It really sucks after putting so much time into a game just to have to delete the whole thing to play another game. Pardon if this is a repeat, but is it even possible to create a folder to hold saves like the psp save folder?

KronosXLI

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Jamaica
It would be very nice to be able to either keep save data or save it somewhere else. All of my vita games are digital and I won't pay and be punished to cloudsave with psn. It really sucks after putting so much time into a game just to have to delete the whole thing to play another game. Pardon if this is a repeat, but is it even possible to create a folder to hold saves like the psp save folder?

Vita saves are actually kept in a folder but each game has its own save folder. You can find them on your CMA backups and the folder structure is the same on the memory card.

Sonic Angel Knight

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Apperently there is a homebrew file browser (HENKAKU) as i know that can browse and copy the contents of the unectypted file system save data from the memory card to pc using ftp. Although it should work no problem, giving the history of ps3 that some games don't allow copying to storage devices, or the ones that do, would have the limitation of earning trophies or not allowing use if is not detecting the same user profile or PSN account. So i never bothered to try. I can confirm it does save independent from the game internally but why is requested to copy the entire game when wanting to back up to pc is requested. (probably to prevent save exploits) But again is my idea, if anyone care enough to try, is their risk.

Sonic Angel Knight

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Got it thanks
To be honest, if the psvita save system is anything like the ps3 then sharing saves would be a problem. I guess if you try using a save someone else has on your system, if it works with no problem then it should be fine to use the homebrew ftp to back up save data with no issues upon restoring them. :)

Guess if anyone has a save file they like to share for testing will decided if what i said was right or wrong. :P

ArugulaZ

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have but one humble request. A Neo-Geo emulator that can play all the games, rather than just those under 23MB. Why is this a limitation? Is this all the RAM that's available in userland?

MDashK

Trophies
Website
www.mixwaves.net
XP
Country
Hmm... Was wondering if porting a Dreamcast emulator (like reicast (that's based on nullDC) or other) to the Vita would be very hard?
Reicast actually runs pretty well on Android, even on some devices that have hardware less powerfull than the Vita... Also, some of the hardware of the Vita is also the same in a lot of Android devices, so... I guess it's pretty possible?

https://github.com/reicast/reicast-emulator

UPD: Guess someone already had tought about this:
http://gbatemp.net/threads/henkaku-homebrew-request-thread.436542/#post-6576474
XD

Last edited by MDashK,
Reactions: Venom Intellect

HarbingerSpeaks

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
To be honest, if the psvita save system is anything like the ps3 then sharing saves would be a problem. I guess if you try using a save someone else has on your system, if it works with no problem then it should be fine to use the homebrew ftp to back up save data with no issues upon restoring them. :)

Guess if anyone has a save file they like to share for testing will decided if what i said was right or wrong. :P

Hey how was it a problem when you could use save resigners on the PS3?

MDashK

Trophies
Website
www.mixwaves.net
XP
Country
What is a save resigner?
(AFAIK) Example: After you edit a save file, the checksum, or digital signature of the save gets "corrupted", because it does not match the changes you made to the save.
A "save resigner", basically, resigns the save file so that the checksum is correct again, making the save file "legit" again.

Last edited by MDashK,

Sonic Angel Knight

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
(AFAIK) After you edit a save file, the checksum, or digital signature of the save gets "corrupted", because it does not match the changes you made to the save.
A "save resigner", basically, resigns the save file so that the checksum is correct again, making the save file "legit" again.
How is it not legit unless you manually did something to alter it?

MDashK

Trophies
Website
www.mixwaves.net
XP
Country
How is it not legit unless you manually did something to alter it?
Explaining a little more deep in this specific case: If the save is digitally signed to be used only by a specific user (like in the PS3), one would need to re-sign the save to be used with the unique ID of another user.
This is also applied (AFAIK) in the Vita and in the X360.

Sonic Angel Knight

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Explaining a little more deep in this specific case: If the save is digitally signed to be used only by a specific user (like in the PS3), one would need to re-sign the save to be used with the unique ID of another user.
Yes, that i know. Which i am aware of. Which is why i said that if the vita save system is anything like the ps3 Which does have that situation, it would be a problem.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    DTApple @ DTApple: HENRY NO +1