Helping my little brother

Discussion in 'CycloDS' started by Blaze163, Aug 17, 2010.

Aug 17, 2010

Helping my little brother by Blaze163 at 3:04 PM (1,062 Views / 0 Likes) 4 replies

1. Blaze163
    OP

Member Blaze163 The White Phoenix's purifying flame.

United Kingdom
    My little brother has finally followed my example and got himself a Cyclo. 4GB mem card. He's got most of the games he wants already 'cause I transferred them from my card. what we're after is thus:

- Decent shooters?
    - He has DQ 4, 5 and 9. Not really into RPG's but he makes an exception for DQ.
    - Why aren't the cheat databases maintained any more? Even mine is hopelessly out of date.
    - I've set him up on 1.59 stable as it's what I use. Is there a more up to date non-Beta firmware, and not the new interface, we're used to the old one.
    - Any suggestions for games that are worth keeping around? He's quite a basic creature, enjoys nothing more than charging around making stupid noises playing games that require little to no thought process.

2. Gariscus

Member Gariscus Former Team Cyclops Mod

Australia
    If by shooters you mean FPS then all 3 Call of Duty games, Metroid Prime Hunters, Moon, Dementium 1 and 2, also CORE is a good one for multiplayer.

The cheat databases are not maintained because Elixirdream decided to not give cheats to ungrateful people.

The new interface isn't that different from the old... The latest stable firmware is 1.59.

Some of my favourites are the Ace Attorney games, the Pokemon games, the Castlevania games, the Final Fantasy games, the Mario games, Scribblenauts, the Professor Layton games, GTA Chinatown Wars, the Lego games, Chrono Trigger, The World Ends With You, Super Robot Taisen OG Saga Endless Frontier, Again, Hotel Dusk, Trace Memory, Fire Emblem SHadow Dragon. I don't know if many of them would appeal to him but he'll probably enjoy Scribblenauts, GTA Chinatown Wars.

3. Blaze163
    OP

Member Blaze163 The White Phoenix's purifying flame.

United Kingdom
    Scribblenauts and GTA added. Cheers. He has a pretty short attention span and the intellectual capacity of a stuffed iguana, so basic games that centre around mindless violence tend to be best. Either that or games where he can make maps like he does on Halo.

We have an arrangement at the moment though. My neice is visiting and wants to watch a film called Dear John, so I'm adding that to my brother's Cyclo for her to watch. Once that's done she can delete it and we'll get back to filling up his card when the film's finished. Seems fair. Besides, gives us plenty of time to work out what he wants on there.

4. Raven Darkheart

Member Raven Darkheart The Radioactive Flamer

United States
  5. Wolvenreign

Member Wolvenreign Transhuman Satanist Furry Technocrat

United States
    Hmm. I've deduced several games according to his tastes.

Stupid noises? Charging around? Love of DQ? Little to no thought process? Good sir, this child requires Dragon Quest Heroes: Rocket Slime.

As for solid shooters, I would say the following...

- Big Bang Mini (Whiz bang bright colorful shooty fun!)

- Nanostray 2 (The first one's control scheme is too convoluted.)

- Bangai-O Spirits (Even if he can't beat a single level, the sheer SPECTACLE of this game is more than enough to please a stuffed iguana.)

- Bubble Bobble Double Shot & Revolution (I know I'm a little strange for calling these shooters, but it's just how I feel about these games.)

- Commando Steel Disaster (A solid little Metal Slug clone. Speaking of which...)

- Metal Slug 7 (Just be sure to put it on Easy.)

- Retro Game Challenge (The two shooters in here are very, very solid.)

- Space Invaders Extreme 2 (Don't bother with the first one, number two is a straight up improvement.)

Now, there are also a few platformers I would recommend for the lowly mind.

- Giana Sisters DS (This one has a nice progression of difficulty. The first few levels will be easy, but after that, they will maintain the illusion of ease while being difficult. This will be a great experience, as it should expand his mind.)

- Kirby: Squeak Squad and Super Star Ultra (Squeak Squad is pretty easy, and Super Star Ultra is INSANELY easy to begin with, but harder later on.)

- New Super Mario Bros. (One of the easier SMB games, and it can be beaten by the lowly mind using warps and shortcuts.)

- N+ (Sure, some of the later levels get difficult. Something tells me, however, that he'll just be thrilled to pieces watching the stick ninja get BLOWN to pieces.)

- Sonic Classic Collection, Sonic Rush, and Sonic Rush Adventure (We all love Sonic games, but let's face it...they're often rather easy. The spectacle factor here also shines considering the speed.)

A couple more miscellaneous titles I'd recommend are as follows...

- Magnetica (Colorful, pretty, and easy to control. Also, it is a mind enhancement experience, so if he has the capacity to expand, this game will assist in that endeavor.)

- Mario and Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story (I recommend this one over Partners in Time because it is, by and large, a more simplistic experience. He should also have fun charging around as Bowser, and if he can handle DQ, he can definitely handle M&L.)

Games to avoid like the obsidian plague, no matter how much trolls tell you otherwise...

-Theresia (Nightmares. For months.)

-Shin Megami Tensei: Strange Journey or Devil Survivor (These games are GREAT. Excellent, excellent titles...just not for the shy of mind.)

Hope this helps!

Edit: Aww, no "Thank you"? Well, that sucks.