Help with xp innstalation

Digeman

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Hey guys! Well I just got a new computer but i dind't get a windows xp with it...so i asked a couple of my friends and one of'em said that they had one. I was all glad and excited when i got it from him and started innstaling...i started innstalling it without any problems but when i was almost done the computer just restarted and i got a message that some kind of error occured with the 32 system somethin' somethin' and that i had to repair it or something...

so i called support and they said that i should just innstal it from the begining...he followed me step by step untill i came to a place where i was going to choose a thing to format or something (i am very nooby when it comes to computers) and he stopped me when i said that i only had 163086 mb somethin memory...he said that i had a problem and that if i was to install it then and there that i would only be able to use 160 gig of my 250 gig memory...

he said everything would work perfectly fine like updating etc. but that i would loose 90 gig of memory...then he insisted that i would come and buy a newer version of windows xp so that i could use all of my memory..and now to my question...is there any truth to what he is saying or can i just simply install the old version of xp then later update it so that i may use all of my memory?? Is he bullshittin' me or what??

Bullshirt

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
While it is true that you would lose some memory, it should not be to that extent. For example, I have a 300gig hardrive yet I am only able to use 279gigs of it. There shouldn't be any other problem with you installing an old version of windows xp.

Digeman

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
But even if i loose memory can't i simply just update my xp and then be able to use all my memory??

corbs132

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
no. most probably, you have a dual setup of 80 gb drives. no windows will show you all at setup. install, and see what happens. dont buy another xp

Knab

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
heres what ya do.....partition the drive old school style, take it out back lay it down against a hard surface and beat the hell out of it with a hammer till you feel better. then point and smile and take a leak on it, then return it and say ups( or fedex) dropped it off like that, if you got it at a local store say the dork at the register open it and dropped it......if they ask why it smells like pee, tell him that the people at microsoft had you do it to update to service pack 2, he will understand.

Digeman

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Hah xD Okey i still tried to install the windows xp but for some reason it restarts in the middle of the innstalation...happened twice now...have no idea why though =S

privateers69

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Are you leaving the CD in the drive after the install? because when the comp goes to re-boot it checks the cd drive and starts the CD again
(depend on how the Bios is set up)

Digeman

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Yeah i did leave the cd inside! =O But that's during the innstalation...do i still need to remove it??

kobewan

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Yeah i did leave the cd inside! =O But that's during the innstalation...do i still need to remove it??

Put the CD in and install it. After a while (anywhere between 3 and 30 minutes) the computer will give you a message that it will restart itself in 10 seconds or so. When it gives that message, take the CD out... or just wait for it to restart and quickly take the CD out. Don't take it out during the installation, take it out while the computer is rebooting.

Also, there isn't anyway that buying a new version of Windows XP could solve your problem. It's possible that your harddrive has a defect, in which case you can return it. Almost all harddrives come with a 5 year manufacturer warrant, so it shouldn't be a problem.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: This is how I have to do it w uremum...