Help with wii u cfw

Discussion in 'Wii U - Hacking & Backup Loaders' started by Lokote2134, Nov 2, 2016.

1. Lokote2134
    OP

Lokote2134 GBAtemp Regular

Feb 4, 2016
    United States
    So I'm about to get a wii u but first I would like to know if the following are possible to do on the wii u

-have a emunand on the wii u
    - able to play downloaded wii u games from a usb or portable hard drive and play them online for example play Mario maker online levels

If those are possible what system firmware version should I get before I buy a random wii u? Is there anything else I need to know about wii u CFW and homebrew? My end goal is to be able to just play downloaded full wii u games off a usb or portable hard drive and be able to play them online with ppl if a game supports online and also use cheats on single player games maybe install themes on my wii u

Last edited by Lokote2134, Nov 2, 2016
  2. Boogieboo6

Boogieboo6 @realDonaldTrump

Jul 30, 2015
    United States
    There's rednand, but it's not really stable yet. From what I know, the only real benefit is DLC piracy. For which you'll have to get a 64GB sd for a 32GB console, and a 16(?)GB sd for an 8gb console. You'll also have a tiny chance of bricking with it, so have fun! I personally wouldn't recommend a rednand. At least not yet.

You can play downloaded Wii U games from a USB hard drive. Just make sure you get a Y cable to properly power the thing. Look into utikdownloadhelper. Just find a ticket file, drag it onto utikdownloadhelper, and wait a small loan of a million years.

zeldaism likes this.
  3. iAqua

iAqua Shadow of Dark.

GBAtemp Patron
    iAqua is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Dec 7, 2015
    Canada
    Incorrect, it's stable as it'll get in terms of dumper and redNAND stability. @Lokote2134 follow this guide and you'll end up with a redNAND http://gbatemp.net/threads/how-to-setup-rednand-w-sigpatches.446818/

4. Boogieboo6

Boogieboo6 @realDonaldTrump

Jul 30, 2015
    United States
    Even the littlest chance of brick wouldn't be worth it if all he wants is to play games off a hard drive. Also, I heard that if rednand gets updated, sysnand bricks. Is that true? It seems like a lot more trouble than it's worth. Especially considering that you have to buy a huge sd card to dump the nand if you get a 32GB console.

5. iAqua

iAqua Shadow of Dark.

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Dec 7, 2015
    Canada
    That's unknown, we won't know until we get a new system update.

6. Lokote2134
    OP

Feb 4, 2016
    United States
    Thanks for the help also Nintendo has said that they will be stopping wii u production this Friday Nov 4 :c also if I want iosu what firmware should I be getting?

7. iAqua

iAqua Shadow of Dark.

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Dec 7, 2015
    Canada
    That's good, no more system updates to annoy us!

CreeperMario likes this.
  8. Lokote2134
    OP

Feb 4, 2016
    United States
    If I want to have a iosu down the road is there a firmware I should get on a wii u?

9. ksanislo

ksanislo GBAtemp Fan

Feb 23, 2016
    United States
    Seattle, WA
    Current latest firmware is 5.5.1 which is conveniently the version with all of the active exploits including IOSU. Until a new firmware is released, any system will work the same, just upgrade to latest like normal and then put in blocking DNS servers to avoid going further if 5.5.2 or newer is released in the future.