Hacking Help with the Twilight Hack

RaulCortez

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm trying to install the HBC, but... no luck at all. I already made the Twilight Hack, i'm stuck in the HBC installation due to SD card problems. I already searched all over the web for this problem, but nothing seems to help me. I got the latest release (the_homebrew_channel-1.0.1) and copied to boot.dol file to my SD card root. I got the following error:

QUOTE said:
FAT_Readfile(boot.elf) failed with error -1
as no elf image at adress 90100000
DOL image detected ?
loading binary file...

The installer gets stuck in that part. I already formatted my card using the official SD formatter, the Windows XP formatter (using FAT16), even tried another card... nothing. Both cards are Kingston 2GB. What the fuck might be causing this?
unsure.gif

I'm going to format and try again for 10th time today...
wacko.gif

Hells Guardian

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Are you certain you are using the correct version of the TP Hack? If yes then what all files do you have on the sd card and are you certain you put the boot.dol in the root of the sd card? If you do have everything in place do you have any GC memory cards inserted when running the installer?

fgsfdsyo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
>boot.elf
Is there a file on the root of your SD card called boot.elf?
Everything usually uses .dols only now.
That may be the problem.

http://hbc.hackmii.com/download
Download the newest one and try.

If that's not the problem, then I apologize and I don't know how I can help you.

RaulCortez

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
boot.dol is in the root of the card. It's the only file in the card, since i already copied the Twilight Hack Save to the Wii Memory.

And yes, i used the correct version of the Twilight Hack. I also don't have any GC memory card inserted. There are no .elf files, since the only file included with the HBC (the_homebrew_channel-1.0.1 NEWEST ONE, JUST DOWNLOADED) is the boot.dol. Not .elf.

I will re-do the Twilight Hack, since i don't have anything else to do. I keep trying and trying and nothing. =\

RaulCortez

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Following the error message:

QUOTE said:
DOL image detected ?
loading binary file...

It appears that the DOL image file is detected, so, there are no problems with the formatting of SD card or the file placement. Somehow, the installer crashes when loading the image file.

Posts merged

kedest said:
incorrectly formatted card perhaps.

I formatted the card:
  • Using Windows XP/Vista formatter, using FAT16 AND FAT32
  • Both Full and Quick format
  • Using SD official formatter
  • Both Full and Quick format
  • Around 3/4 times each
With 2 different cards. There is NO WAY this can be a formatting problem.
wacko.gif

Don Killah

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
France
I had the same problem, which i resolved by using another SD card.
Believe me, when dealing with -1 error, most of the time the app is not compatible with your SD Card due to an old library beeing used.

RaulCortez

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's 1 AM here, and i'm still fighting with this... i decided to give up and purchase a new SD card tomorrow. I really hope that this solves my problem.

Hells Guardian

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Best of luck to you I hope it will work for you. By the way make sure that the write protection switch is off I've noticed that it causes some problems with it for whatever odd reason.

RaulCortez

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
All right! After formatting almost 30 times and re-"installing" the Twilight Hack 5 times... i finally were able to install the HBC. Anyway, some questions though:

1) I have firmware 3.2U. Do i need to update CIOS?
2) Can i use "Force NTSC" option from Backup Loader (gamma) to play PAL releases?
3) Is Nipponic DVD-R a good media?
4) Any problems with Alcohol 120% for burning images?
5) Any amazing homebrew that i should know about?
6) I'm confused about the Snes9x GX emulator. Can't i just create a folder called roms and load them from there?
7) I wasn't able to find some compatibility lists for Wii emulators around (genesis, master system and snes). Could someone help me out?
8) Damn, Mega Man 9 rocks.

Don Killah

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
France
RaulCortez said:
All right! After formatting almost 30 times and re-"installing" the Twilight Hack 5 times... i finally were able to install the HBC. Anyway, some questions though:

1) I have firmware 3.2U. Do i need to update CIOS?
I pass, but i don't think it's really needed.

2) Can i use "Force NTSC" option from Backup Loader (gamma) to play PAL releases?
I guess you should use Force PAL, but i might be wrong. PAL user down here.

3) Is Nipponic DVD-R a good media?
Never heard of them. Give them a try but i only use quality media such as Verbatim.

4) Any problems with Alcohol 120% for burning images?
Nope, as long as you burn at 2x or 4x.

5) Any amazing homebrew that i should know about?
WadManager
BackupLoader 0.3G + 002Fix/SoftChip/GeckoOS
AnyTitle Deleter Mod3 (shows the name of the title you want to delete instead of the cryptic internal 4 letters' code)
Preloader 0.28 (!)
CrazyIntro
MPLayerWii-AgentX version (plays all video from your SD/USB stick or HDD,your computer)
MPlayer UltimateEdtion (plays DVD)
and Geebox (same as MPlayerWii with a "friendly" interface AND handles subtitles!)

6) I'm confused about the Snes9x GX emulator. Can't i just create a folder called roms and load them from there?
No, create a "snes9x" folder at the root of your SD. Then inside others called "cheats", "roms" and "saves". Then you can add your zipped roms in the relevant folder.

7) I wasn't able to find some compatibility lists for Wii emulators around (genesis, master system and snes). Could someone help me out?
I pass.

8) Damn, Mega Man 9 rocks.
I pass.

RaulCortez

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sorry for my ignorance, Don, but... what is this Preloader? And CrazyIntro?
blink.gif

Btw, thanks for the awesome reply and all the attention.

Don Killah

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
France
Preloader is the new project from Crediar, the author of Starfall.
Basically it's Starfall with lots of other usefull options.
It's a tool that boots before the SystemMenu and allows you to select (according to your settings) what to load next:
- the SystemMenu (just like a regular boot)
- the HomeBrewChannel, no need to go to SM and to load it (saves you time)
- any other dol/elf file located at the root of your SD card (CrazyIntro in my case, but could be anything that restores a bricked wii ^^)

But the best part is that, you can call the preloader menu anytime by holding down Reset.
So even if you brick your Wii, you just have to press Reset to bypass the brick and override tthem by either removing the bad wad with WadManager/AnyTitleDeleter Mod3 or by reinstalling the SystemMenu with AnyRegionChanger.

Go into the settings to set your options and in systemhack to enable/disable your hacks.

The latest version is 0.28, but you'll need to install 0.27 and then make a wifi update from your Wii.
Here's my personnal version with an icon.png + meta.xml file:
http://rapidshare.com/files/197520312/Preloader.zip

The Preloader Guide:
http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=135174

Preloader v0.28 topic:
http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=134692

----
CrazyIntro is just a little nice tool that allows you to have a custom boot on your wii without editing anything in your Wii's memory (no brick then).
You can also press A to boot into the SystemMenu, B to boot into the HBC and use the 4 up/down/right/left buttons to load whatever you want (see the xml config file).

Just have a boot.jpg (608x456, otherwise code dump) and a boot.mp3 (at least 10 seconds) files on the root of your SD as well as the crazyintro file.

Then run the Preloader with the following settings:
Autoboot : "file"
Return to : "Systemenu"
Then save your settings.

Go into "systemhacks"
Replace healthwarning with backmenu : "enabled"
Save your settings once more.

CrazyIntro v0.3
http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=132452

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat