luciferyo

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Hello!

I'm trying to rip sprites from a DS game (Hakuouki: Shinsengumi Kitan, and yes, it's an otome game, haha), and I've looked up the tutorials and such for Tahaxan, but I've had next to no luck with figuring out what the width and height should be once I get to the picture editor?

http://i55.tinypic.com/30ljxq0.jpg Here is a screenshot of where I'm having trouble with.

I realize it's all just a matter of calculations, but I've never really done this before, so I'm not quite sure where to start . . .

Thanks for any tips and pointers!

rastsan

8 baller, Death Wizard,
Trophies
Website
rastsan.wordpress.com
XP
Country
Canada
use ct2 and change in the propreties panel...
Edit:
Or even better view the file system then right click the image and retrieve tile address you may have to mess with the properties offset and other.
end edit.

You have the width right 64 you just need to mess with the height. Even then this might just be a map problem. Are there any .nscr files in there with the same name?

try 64 width in ct2 but leave the height at 8 get the width just right by aligning the images beside each other - view - fit window to tile - then stretch the window to fit. If I could find this game I would tell you exactly how to do it... Is there another name for it?

luciferyo

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Yes, that's the game!

Thank you so much, I'll be sure to give CT2 a shot. It's CT2 Editor, right? When I looked through the files, there were two folders that contained .nscr files with the character names (although they were spelled differently), and I'm on a different computer right now so I can't access Tahaxan until later on. So I wasn't sure if I was looking at the right set or not, haha.

You don't have to go so far, though! The game is really huge (it's said to be the biggest DS game ever made), so getting it might be a really big hassle. But I appreciate a lot!

rastsan

8 baller, Death Wizard,
Trophies
Website
rastsan.wordpress.com
XP
Country
Canada
If that is it. then holy crap that a large game!
A lot of work just due to the size of the damn thing.
(I really hope it a lot of sound stuff and not a lot of custom file format images)

Wait I recognize this, this is what the 4th time I have taken a look at this for someone, gosh dang...

Luciferyo you are looking at a movie file. if you can find a something that loads up .ncer those images will load up no problem . its not actually 64 width its 80 just misaligned and ct2 can only wiew that image correctly with the objH-1234 property on which sticks you with a multiple of 8 width - which is not what you have. sigh. In the middle of the image what you are seeing is the corner of the image just misaligned.
not a big deal if you don't mind a little image editing just remeber the right way to reinsert the image (if you are going to reinsert)
open'er up in some paint program and change the width to 80 then cut and paste away and you will have your image loooking right.

Oh and somebody is already trying to translate this do a search and ask them...

luciferyo

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Ahh, I see! I'm trying out CT2 right now, and I don't think I'm opening the file correctly since it's more pixelated than ever, haha. Should I try to screencap what I'm trying to do . . . ?

rastsan

8 baller, Death Wizard,
Trophies
Website
rastsan.wordpress.com
XP
Country
Canada
ctrl-n file syste. in the window that pops up scroll down til find your file(s)
right click them
you have som new options retrieve tile address
under gba 8bpp
change tile to objH-1234
see what you are looking for now?

I know the quality for some images may not be that good but that is how they show up on the ds's screen.
Either way tahaxan will be just fine for ripping. it just means you have cut up the image and realign the peices (like a puzzle) so that it looks right, for your image dump that is all.

If you are going to edit and then re-insert that is different and it might be more worth while to edit the chunks and reinsert that way... If you need more of a description I don't know if I could write it down it isn't too complicated just really annoying to to do for image editing.

I'm curious now off to look for ncer viewers/ editors....

luciferyo

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
http://i55.tinypic.com/23lia2p.jpg

This is basically what I see. @_@ I don't think I clicked anything wrong, since I followed what you said- something just doesn't seem to want to work for me, haha. You were right, though! The game was huge because of the many voice files. I had to scroll through quite a bit. orz

Ahh, let me know if you have better luck. /)_(\ Thank you so much for all the help, always!

rastsan

8 baller, Death Wizard,
Trophies
Website
rastsan.wordpress.com
XP
Country
Canada
update the icon pallette or right click on the .nclr right below it and then load that pallete.
Your still going to have to cut and paste though I can tell from that image you uploaded. sigh.

Are you just ripping images or are you goingt to translate to?

And sorry no luck with getting the ncer part to help load the images (which would help a lot).
keep it at 64 width - Iwas just saying that the image once you edit it right in an image editor is actually 80 width...
listen just use the image you first uploaded and change the attributes so that it is 80 width. then the parts that don't make sense in the middle of the image cut and paste them on the side so that it looks right then move the bottom part up and again cut and paste the rest. casue right now its all jumbled up. if I get time tonight I'll edit and upload okay.

luciferyo

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Oh, I see! I'll try that again! And cutting and pasting is alright with me. o/ I don't mind it one bit.

I'm only trying to rip the images of all the characters, haha. A huge task, I know. @_@ Also, I'll put it back to 64 width, but -- would the other sprites show up as well? Only three is being shown in the first pic, but there are other ones, too, so ... Either way, I'll keep fiddling with this. \o/ Thank you again, and no rush on editing !

-- edit; Ah ! When I updated the icon palette, I can see bits of the character now. http://i52.tinypic.com/35izk2r.jpg I think I'm getting somewhere. o/

rastsan

8 baller, Death Wizard,
Trophies
Website
rastsan.wordpress.com
XP
Country
Canada
you just have to scoll down and change the offset so that the images display. change it to 8 by 8 then find the right tile to start then next image and enter that as your offset (look on the bottom of cT2 and the tile you click on will change the a number on the bottom of CT2 that will probably have offset before it - enter this number in the properties pane in CT2 by offset)
you will probably need to change this a bit before the image dispalys right.

luciferyo

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Ohh, I see the other images now. o/ But how do you change it to 8x8? I found that I could do that by resizing the properties pane (the number at the bottom of the screen changes to 8x8 = 64). Is this right?

rastsan

8 baller, Death Wizard,
Trophies
Website
rastsan.wordpress.com
XP
Country
Canada
not quite what I meant... Width heigth 8 by 8. that way your not dealing with massive 64 size tiles. It just makes it easier to get the right offset instead of guessing.

I gues you could do the math instead if you know the hex size of your image 64 X 120=7080 in hex add that (7080) to the offset in the properties pane again in hex- for the beginning of your next image, just keep doing this for each next image (I hope my math is right)
You can use the calculator that came with windows - in hex mode.
forget the 8by8 thing and just do the math (you'll have to have the right height though I don't know if you are using 480 or something bigger I cant really tell from the image...)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    NinStar @ NinStar: It will actually make it worse