Help with restoring Wii U bricked by update?

mish98

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello. I have an issue with my Wii U that started back around Sept-Oct. I tried to update the Wii U to use the eshop, it failed with some error code (don't know what it was), I played some No More Heroes in Wii mode and then shut off the system from there. After that day, I experienced the black screen of death- no video, disc drive whirs up twice, no remotes connect (although can be used to turn the system on). I tried the LAN recovery and I tried replacing the CMOS with little to no resolve. Although we got the yellow light to show up once, but not repeatable.
I have a friend who will be helping me with backing up the NAND, but we're not sure of how we could go about restoring it and the OS back onto the system.
Help is appreciated with this, as I don't want to lose my data (especially saves) or have to restart from the beginning with this system. Thank you!

mish98

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
We can try to attempt that, but our concern is that the video in the UDPIH tutorial thread shows the console communicating with and turning on the Gamepad. In my situation, the console is not sending anything to the gamepad. It's not that we need the Gamepad, it's that the console doesn't seem to be reaching the point in its boot process to do it. To reiterate, the console will not talk to the gamepad or controllers on its own.

tiger1234

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
India
We can try to attempt that, but our concern is that the video in the UDPIH tutorial thread shows the console communicating with and turning on the Gamepad. In my situation, the console is not sending anything to the gamepad. It's not that we need the Gamepad, it's that the console doesn't seem to be reaching the point in its boot process to do it. To reiterate, the console will not talk to the gamepad or controllers on its own.
im also facing same issue i hope some one comes with some solution please inform over here if you come up with any solution

and yes updih method also not working since console is not sending display signal not booting at all only powering on blue led on and fan on . its obviously software issue happens during power off during update

mish98

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
im also facing same issue i hope some one comes with some solution please inform over here if you come up with any solution

and yes updih method also not working since console is not sending display signal not booting at all only powering on blue led on and fan on . its obviously software issue happens during power off during update
I noticed recently that you made a similar post asking about this issue. It does appear we are in the same boat. I actually tried making an effort with Nintendo support, but they weren't able to give me any assistance aside from providing a way to release the NNID from the console if ultimately necessary. It's kinda BS that updates aren't subject to warranties and service in this day and age. It's not really a legacy system if they're still providing updates to it.

Reactions: Vorde

mish98

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Have you tried already with UDPIH?
after further investigation, we noticed that the guide for UDPIH lists the step "As soon as you see the "Wii U" logo on the TV or Gamepad plug in your Zero/Pico." We do not even get to the logo on the Wii U, but we tried it anyway. It did not work.

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
after further investigation, we noticed that the guide for UDPIH lists the step "As soon as you see the "Wii U" logo on the TV or Gamepad plug in your Zero/Pico." We do not even get to the logo on the Wii U, but we tried it anyway. It did not work.
I think by the time you see the wiiu logo on the TV, it's too late.

mish98

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think by the time you see the wiiu logo on the TV, it's too late.
There has never been a Wii U logo in my situation, because it's *that* broken. We cannot attempt the method because the system does not get that far in the boot process to even access any boot menu. People don't seem to be acknowledging this fact for some reason...

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There has never been a Wii U logo in my situation, because it's *that* broken. We cannot attempt the method because the system does not get that far in the boot process to even access any boot menu. People don't seem to be acknowledging this fact for some reason...
Then you're probably fucked.

SDIO

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
It sometimes works even if the Wii U is not producing output. The Wii U logo is just to help you with the timing. Another way to time it to listen to the disc drive and connect the Pico when you hear the Disc Drive the second time. You see if it was successful if the LED turns purple.

rtthrow

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It can still work. You just have to do the inputs blind. I had the same issue you did and it worked for me.

mish98

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It sometimes works even if the Wii U is not producing output. The Wii U logo is just to help you with the timing. Another way to time it to listen to the disc drive and connect the Pico when you hear the Disc Drive the second time. You see if it was successful if the LED turns purple.
tried it and no luck so far

Velocities

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
I have a similar problem, I have two consoles, one black and one white. I gave the white one to a member of my family who wanted to download a game with NUSspli.
The download went wrong, but the files remained on the nand, and to free up space the person installed FTPiiU Everywhere and deleted important files too from the nand, system files certainly. Fortunately a backup of the nands was made on my two consoles. I have tried the UDPIH tool, its working on the black one, but not on the White, even with the other github file (recovery_menu_dc_init) to have a TV output instead of the gamepad which can't be sync anyway. The SD Card inside is a 64gb micro one with an adapter.

The console starts with the noise of the drive, a disk is still stuck in it, impossible to eject, and the blue led is blinking. I injected the recovery_menu with my Switch, so it only works on the Black one. The exploit used was Tiramisu, the tool UDPIH seems to unbrick only some kind of brick like the CBHC brick.

I tried side by side with the same timing on both several times, tried to turn off the console blind, still nothing. I think I have the same trouble, UDPIH seems to work only on "soft brick" and its need important files to boot on "hard bricking" like us.

BeastmodeProductions

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It can still work. You just have to do the inputs blind. I had the same issue you did and it worked for me.
Hey brother,
Based on everything I read we’re in the same boat. I downloaded the Dc_init file, renamed, and tried the pico anywhere between the 8-14s mark. When you did it blind, you had the purple LEDs right? I can’t get the LED to change. Heartbreaking stuff ngl just brought it out to play Mario w my GF the other day, we played for 10 min then I had the brilliant idea to update it and we all know what happened from there.

Thanks in advance brother anything is appreciated 🙏🏼

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: Traps