Help with R4...doesn't play newer games.

Discussion in 'R4 DS' started by smoothbwlr, Sep 15, 2009.

1. smoothbwlr
    OP

smoothbwlr Member

Newcomer
    Mar 18, 2008
    United States
    I havent played the DS in a long time...apparently things have changed. lol I don't have a DSi and the R4 that I have is the original one from 3 years ago. I thought that I was updated correctly but apparently its outdated and needs something called ymenu??? I really don't understand a lot of the lingo about the newer software and the newer compatibility issues between the fake r4's and the dsi conflicts. Browsing this site and the topics has been a little overwhelming.

Is there a straightfoward process that someone can refer me to because I am not completely savvy with this software and i want to play the new mario game that just came out. I understand that my post is very noobish and outdated but I would really appreciate some help here and possibly a link that I could use.

2. I am r4ymond

I am r4ymond PFE

Sep 18, 2009
    United States
    Ionia
    Uhhh...Try Searching up the R4 Firmware Version 1.18 on this site? Download and move it to the _SYSTEM folder of your R4.

3. TrolleyDave

TrolleyDave Philosolosophising

Former Staff
    Jan 1, 2007
    Wales, UK
    ^^^^ He probably is using 1.18, it's a pretty old firmware. It hasn't been updated in a long time a doesn't support alot of the newer games without patching.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The easiest way to set up YSMenu is by using R4YSauto which can be found here http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=103879

I've used this myself and it makes installing YSMenu simple as. Just follow the instructions and you should be good to go.

4. smoothbwlr
    OP

smoothbwlr Member

Newcomer
    Mar 18, 2008
    United States
    Right now I am using v1.22...its working good, but obviously i can't play KH or the new mario game. I did the steps from this topic: http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=181996 but i havent put it onto my sd card yet because I don't know if I am supposed to just copy the entire r4ysato v1.17a folder onto my card along with everything else or if I need to delete v1.22 and replace it with this folder, in fact I don't even know if i did the batch file thing right because I chose option 4 and I don't even know if that's what I need or not. Basically I just need to know what the next step should be and hopefully, clear enough for a noob like myself to follow. BTW, in that link i posted just now, I only followed the first two links and not the third one talking about the user friendly gui.

5. TrolleyDave

TrolleyDave Philosolosophising

Former Staff
    Jan 1, 2007
    Wales, UK
    Which post in the topic did you follow sorry? There's 17 pages and it's 6:30am here! lol I've just done a run through using an old R4YSauto that I had on the hard drive to refresh my memory a little, it's a different version but the end result should be the same. Did it successfully create a zip file called R4_custom_english? All you need to do is unzip that to your MicroSD card and you should be good to go.