Help with palette/image editing with tile editor?

Discussion in 'NDS - ROM Hacking and Translations' started by Aria., Aug 25, 2010.

Aug 25, 2010
  1. Aria.
    OP

Newcomer Aria. Newbie

United States
    Okay, so I would like to edit some images like seen below,
    [​IMG]
    (this example is from the sticky thread)

but for some reason, when I open the files with Windhex etc, all I get are those scrambled palettes. Is that because the files are
    still compressed in a way that the program can't properly read them, or am I just doing something wrong?
    I know they're supposed to be like that, but it would be much easier for me to show the real image at once.
    Also, when exporting the files, I still not get the proper image.

[​IMG]
    http://img832.imageshack.us/img832/3124/example2j.png

Any help would be much appreciated.

2. rastsan

Member rastsan 8 baller, Death Wizard

Canada
    Try tahaxan first.
    You can export the pallette or the picture directly to a jpeg and import the pallette or the picture as a pallette in ct2. It could also be that you are loading the wrong pallette for that image.
    In ct2 you can go grayscale and edit the image that way.
    If this didn't help, let me know.

3. Aria.
    OP

Newcomer Aria. Newbie

United States
    Hey rastsan,
    I'm definitely getting somewhere with that Taxahan.
    I can now really see the images and extract and save them.
    Everything is a bit sliced up though, everything is in parts and next to each other, (or would it be possible to make it one image?) but if I would only edit them with the right palette colours, and then import them back again, technically they should work in the game? So how do I import the edited image in the game again? With dslazy? I don't know how to get the bmp in the NCGR again..

EDIT: Okay, by sometimes changing the image size in Taxahan, you can see the image pretty properly, but sometimes there's only one standard size, and when you constantly type in a custom size, it says 'warning' in red, and the images doesn't even change in size. That's too bad.. so what can I do against this, as it's the most easy of course to edit an image when it's whole, not in pieces.

4. rastsan

Member rastsan 8 baller, Death Wizard

Canada
    write down or note somowhere those sizes as you are going to need them for inserting the images back in. Try using Crystaltile2.
    open the rom then open the file system and look for .nscr or .ncel files.
    these are maps for the images and will help display things correctly.
    think of it as one image being used in different puzzles if there is more than 1 map.
    You could also try consoleTool found in the romhacking aeries personal projects. but that might need more advanced knowledge...