Help With Non-Booting Wii.

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by sketchstick, Oct 18, 2013.

1. sketchstick
    OP

sketchstick Newbie

Newcomer
    Oct 18, 2013
    Hi, i'm a first time poster and was having some issues with my Wii and was hoping someone might be able to direct me to a fix. I soft modded it some time ago with IOS236 and was able to use it fine, then didn't use it for a while and when i came back to use it recently found it wouldn't boot properly.

When i turn the system on it reaches the health and safety disclaimer but no "press A to continue" comes up.
    i have Bootmii installed and can access the Homebrew channel. i can play games fine if i load them via the Homebrew channel via Bootmii, but otherwise can't access the Wii system menu at all.

I tried downloading the v514 system menu wad and installing it with a wad manager thinking it might fix the problem, but next time i rebooted it said the system files were corrupted, i do have a nand backup but only after this issue started happening.

Any help to fix this would be appreciated.

i ran a syscheck and here are the results
    Warning: Spoilers inside!

Also here's my DopMii report
    Warning: Spoilers inside!

2. rooskie54

rooskie54 GBAtemp Regular

Jan 4, 2009
    United States
    I had a similar issue a while back. My wii was set to autoboot the homebrew channel through bootmii so I only saw the system menu to sync a wiimote or change some system settings. One day I tried to do that and got the system files corrupt message. When you made your backup did it say anything about Corrupted Pages? If so, bootmii corrects the corruption in the dump you make. Restoring the dump fixed my problem and I haven't seen the error since:
    http://gbatemp.net/threads/system-menu-the-system-files-are-corrupted.323889/

3. sketchstick
    OP

sketchstick Newbie

Newcomer
    Oct 18, 2013
    The Nand backup seemed fine, i only got the corrupt message when i tired to reinstall the system menu, otherwise when i try to boot it goes to the health and safety message comes up but no "press A to continue", i tried restoreing the backup i made, still no press A to continue message.

4. AwesomeMarioFan

AwesomeMarioFan RiiConnect24 Dev

Jun 21, 2013
    United States
    I recommend trying to re-hack your Wii using ModMii, then that should reinstall all of the system files via WADs which could have been corrupted.

5. sketchstick
    OP

sketchstick Newbie

Newcomer
    Oct 18, 2013
    ok thanks, i'll try this, before i do though, i have bootmii installed as boot2, this won't get rid of that will it? and also will all my virtual console titles and saves and stuff be intact after this? after this happened i'm a little worried about further problems happening, what's the best way to make sure bootmii remains untouched so i can always restore a nand?

Update: ok this probably seems a bit silly, but i can't run modmii, as i don't know my wii's mac address, and since the system menu wont work, i can't access the settings to find out, i've tried looking up other ways to get it, but i can't seem to find one? does anyone know another way.

6. sketchstick
    OP

sketchstick Newbie

Newcomer
    Oct 18, 2013
    I tried rehacking with mod mii, it managed to install all the ios's, when i restarted i still don't get "press A" to start the wii, then also when i boot into the homebrew channel now i just get a black screen, i reinstalled the homebrew channel again but still nothing came up, priloader said ""Error autobooting system menu! Could not open boot file" so i'm going to restore my old nand. i'm not sure what to do from now, is there any way to remove the system menu i have now and install a completely new one? or if anyone has any ideas what might fix it?

7. filfat

filfat Musician, Developer & Entrepreneur

Nov 24, 2012
    You could try downloading the system menu from the Nintendo download service program for pc's(don't remember what its called XD) and install it onto your Wii, however remember to use the right version, so not system menu 3.2E on a 4.3U Wii ;)

8. sketchstick
    OP

sketchstick Newbie

Newcomer
    Oct 18, 2013
    i've tried both downloading it on the wii via MMM, and downloading it with the NUS downloader as a WAD, but every time i try and reinstall it, the console seems to lock up or hang and never finish, i thought maybe trying to revert to an early system menu might work, but i've had no luck with that either.

9. Sicklyboy

Sicklyboy Resident Mechanical Keyboard Addict

Global Moderator
    Jul 15, 2009
    United States
    [̲̅$̲̅(̲̅ ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°̲̅)̲̅$̲̅]

Have it download one of the other exploits, like Smash Stack, or any of them, because it doesn't really matter. You're not going to use any of them anyway since you can't get into the system menu. Tell ModMii that your Wii is virgin (even though it isn't), and that it's on SM 4.2E (even though it isn't) and that you want to upgrade it to SM 4.3E (even though it's already there).

From ModMii classic, you want to enter the following commands, hitting <ENTER> after each line.

Code:
    W
    Y
    E
    <Here you can choose whether you want to install the Photo, Internet, Weather, News, Mii, Shopping, and Wii Speak channels. This one is up to you: A for all channels, S if you want to pick and choose, or N for none>
    <Here you can choose a theme or opt to not use one, it'll be bundled straight into the SM to make it easier for you. R/G/BL/O for DarkWii Red/Green/Blue/Orange, or N for the stock White theme>
    <USB Loader configuration, assuming you have one already you can hit N for no if you want to go through that by yourself, or Y to set one up of your choice>
    <Verify that all settings are correct.  Unless you added channels, themes, or a USB loader, you should have, at the very least:
    *Install and/or update all recommended softmods
    *Current System Menu is 4.2E
    *Desired System Menu is 4.3E
    <if that's not correct, hit B or M and start it over, otherwise, continue with the tutorial>
    Y
    D
    Y

At this point, a guide should open in your web browser. As per ModMii (which should still be open and downloading), once it is done downloading, copy the COPY_TO_SD and COPY_TO_HDD folder contents to their respective devices, if and where applicable.

Back to the guide, read sections I and II to make sure you understand them, and then at section III, you are going to skip Step 1 entirely, and start at Step 2. Step 2 has you making a NAND backup, just in case shit goes south. Following that, to "Launch the Homebrew Channel", you are going to do so through BootMii.

From there, you should be golden, as long as you follow it step by step, to the T.

Edit - beings as you did plan to restore from your old NAND backup, make sure that that isn't on your SD if you decide to make a new one via Step 2 of the guide.

Edit 2 - It's been a while since I messed with Wiis, so I'm not sure if things like MMM will let you load them with an c/IOS that's stubbed... but your cIOS 249 is in fact stubbed. If you're loading MMM with that, that would be a good reason why it's hanging. Load MMM or YAWMM with cIOS 236 instead.

Edit 3 - and in case it's not clear, by ModMii classic I mean the non-GUI one.

10. sketchstick
    OP

sketchstick Newbie

Newcomer
    Oct 18, 2013
    Hi thanks for all the help, i went off and tried the suggested fixes, but it seems whatever wad installer or ios i use the system menu files always begin installing, then they always seem to stop and hang at "installing content 6/9". everything else i install via modmii works, it just seems to be all the system menu wads that wont install for me. i'm not too sure what i can try doing with it now, are there any other ways to try installing a system menu, or should i try deleteing any previous menu's and installing new ones from scratch?