Hacking Help with MK 5 DX

misanthrope

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
I am having real issues with this card. I tried to transfer a rom to it and it worked fine for the first few. Then the last one it would say "done" and then I would wait a while to let it transfer just in case before unmounting/safe removing or whatever. Then each time the game would show on the menu with ??? marks instead of the thumbnail for the game.

So I must have tried to write this game 10 times or more deleting then reattempting. One attempt and bam, wont go into game menu anymore, just a white screen. Then I said screw this and decided to back up everything and format and update or reinstall the same firmware or whatever. So I turn it off, back on and try to go into USB mode. First attempt? Stops after maybe 12 transfer and returns an error on the device. I turn it off and now it wont even get recognized as a USB device at all anymore.

It goes into usb just fine on the DS but no matter what I try ( restarting the computer, using different usb ports, etc ) it just wont get recognized anymore.

So great now I am left with an unusable card and unable to update? Who designs this gba slot usb things really it must be the single must unreliable PoS I used and thats counting the M3DS real that outright burned my DS ( the whole motherboard was replaced )

Its there any way to recover this thing?

Porkdish

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
operating system?

macs =100% incompatible with n-card/clones

vista = a crapshoot, some have no troubles, others do

xpsp2+ = golden

the unpassable white screens before menu loading, especially after writing files to the card suggests to me that the file table on the card has been fudged by the os during that file writing. This happens 97% of the time on mac (less often on os 9 but almost always on anything post 10.2). It doesn't necessarily mean the card is unrecoverable. It happened quite a lot to me when I first got mine and the card now works fine with my XP machine (bootcamp). I fixed it by once again formating with the DS key combo (full format, takes time and requires full battery or external power) and only ever using XP with the card.

Its why I bought a r4 off a mate, since they work with macs fine and I didn't have the patience to look into/track down an Acecard RPG locally. Between the two cards I'm well covered for roms and homebrew. N-card and clones are shite for homebrew (shitty dldi driver), if a homebrew app runs at all on them it still runs slower than on other cards. But I digress...

misanthrope

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Not mac, I run Linux but when it comes to this is more or less the same to Mac OS X ( BSD vs Linux which is pretty close in practical terms ). Its a shame cause it would be the first time I ever had problems with a vfat drive of any kind but my HAL daemon did some funny things when trying to mount/unmount this "drive" you might be onto something. I think I will try to return to the store guy for refund or a few physical games and get an R4 pr DSTT that basically just writes from USB readers to microsd directly.

If he doesn't wants to take it back I might have to dual boot to xp....*shrugs*

arctic_flame

GBAtemp ATMEGA8 Fan
Trophies
XP
Country
Unfortunately, The N-Cards are not Linux compatible. Flashcarts generally aren't
frown.gif
I have a crappy laptop with XP installed just for writing to my EFA/Elink/N-Card.

theli

Trophies
Website
theli.is-a-geek.org
XP
Country
arctic_flame said:
Unfortunately, The N-Cards are not Linux compatible. Flashcarts generally aren't
frown.gif
I have a crappy laptop with XP installed just for writing to my EFA/Elink/N-Card.
i have MK5 DX and NEVER had any problem in Linux (i don't have windows system at home) it just works as an any usb drive (as my G6 Flash does too btw)

misanthrope, as i understood you don't have a separate USB reader but that strange transferer which goes into SLOT-2 ?
in that case i would recommend to find someone with separate usb reader and find out if that slot-2 thing is faulty

Porkdish

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
theli said:
i have MK5 DX and NEVER had any problem in Linux

under the drive properties, when it's mounted, do you have the utf8 toggle? my sieve of a memory recalls one ubuntu user posting success toggling this and some other mount options.

the dx 5 has the separate writer? do you plug this into your monitor or other usb hub by any chance?

leinad

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Porkdish said:
theli said:
i have MK5 DX and NEVER had any problem in Linux

under the drive properties, when it's mounted, do you have the utf8 toggle? my sieve of a memory recalls one ubuntu user posting success toggling this and some other mount options.

the dx 5 has the separate writer? do you plug this into your monitor or other usb hub by any chance?

Porkdish, there are 2 ways of transfering.
Slot 2 Adapter = Only windows
USB adapter (the one usualy send with MK5 DX) = Works on Linux too [Ive won the compo and got one, Ive where happy as hell not to have to start windows to transfer files ;D]

Porkdish

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
leinad said:
USB adapter (the one usualy send with MK5 DX) = Works on Linux too

aww, nuts and gum!

I'll have to order a usb adapter for christmas. Then both carts will work on my mac. Great to get confirmation, thanks.
tingle_yup.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: ack slow wifi