Help with Bridge and Router

Discussion in 'Computer Games and General Discussion' started by Diablo1123, Feb 19, 2009.

1. Diablo1123
    OP

Diablo1123 Newcomer

Mar 9, 2008
    United States
    Underground
    I have an old 2Wire 1701HG Gateway which is a router/modem for my DSL. I've been trying to hook a Linksys WRT54GL to it, but its not going so well. I've got the modem in bridge mode so the router connects to the PPPoE, but I can't seem to access the internet from my computer connected to the router. The router has Tomato firmware on it. I know the router is connected to the internet because I am able to ping google.com with the Tomato firmware. Anyone have any ideas? Its late so I'm gonna go to sleep and try again tomorrow.

2. Jiggah

Jiggah GBAtemp Maniac

Nov 9, 2002
    United States
    Did you turn off DHCP on the modem? If I were you I'd just complete turn off the router function in the 2Wire since you're using the Linksys for that.

3. MicShadow

MicShadow GBAtemp Fan

Jan 28, 2008
    Oh ho ho guess what. Just the other day i went through this agonising process with a 2Wire 2701-A

Make sure on 2Wire:

DHCP is off.
    Set a manual IP for it. (lets say for this 192.168.1.254)
    Internet mode is PPPoE
    Bridge mode

Now for the Linksys:

IP address is 192.168.2.254 (the '2' scope is important, as long as its not the same as the 2Wire)
    Set the DHCP accordingly (IP range: 192.168.2.1 192.168.1.253, gateways (dns and others to the linksys address)
    Set up PPPoE connection with your user name and pass

SHOULD work now. Feel free to ask to clarify on anything, because i feel your pain brother. Curse you 2wire

4. Diablo1123
    OP

Diablo1123 Newcomer

Mar 9, 2008
    United States
    Underground
    kk no idea what I did, but got it working.
    Cleared the nvram on the router which I never did after flashing tomato onto it.

Works now.

Didn't have to mess with the stuff you said, thanks anyways though.

Yes, 2wire sucks.