Help with an old ds-X :(

Discussion in 'NDS - Flashcarts and Accessories' started by theomms, Jul 3, 2011.

Jul 3, 2011

Help with an old ds-X :( by theomms at 5:26 AM (810 Views / 0 Likes) 9 replies

1. theomms
    OP

Newcomer theomms Member

United States
    I have an old DS-X 2GB that was working for the longest time, but today all of the files on it got erased (my dumb stupid fault!)

I found an old copy of the DS-x updater 1.1.3 beta and it comes with the following files:

Ds_Xtreme_updater_v1.3.exe
    update.txt
    update1.3.bin

the problem is that the updater tries to download the update files from the DS-X.com server that does not exist anymore. I think that the update files are in the"bin" file but the updater is not directed to get them locally.

Do think that I can do anything? or do I just have to buy a newer card?

TIA

2. Evo.lve

Member Evo.lve All that you could be.

Australia
    99.99% of people would advise you to get a new cart, like the R4iDSN, the Acekard 2i and the DSTWO. The other 0.01% are the people who can't actually buy carts and in their rage tell other people to make do with their current piece of shit so they feel better.

So seriously - get a new cart.

3. Nathan Drake

Member Nathan Drake Obligations fulfilled, now I depart.

Antarctica
    Oh man, that thing is fairly ancient in terms of DS flash carts. I would highly recommend upgrading to even just an Original R4 for about $6.

Edit: This was the last thing said about the DS-Xtreme in the official GBAtemp review back in '06 -

http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=38174

Yeah, a new cart would be a good idea. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised by the huge upgrade.

4. jurai

Member jurai GBAtemp Fan

remember when DS-X was heralded as a future proof bastion of the DS scene

5. theomms
    OP

Newcomer theomms Member

United States
    Thanks for all the replies guys!

I guess I am gonna just get a new card...I just want to buy the best one, but it is a harder decision than I want it to be haha

Is there a clear best card for the DSlite? (cost not being a factor)

...dont worry Im gonna search/read, but a quick answer means I can be back to playing my DS faster [​IMG]

6. Nathan Drake

Antarctica
    This should help: http://gbatemp.net/t290097-which-flash-cart-should-i-get

The Supercard DSTwo is easily the best cart out of all of them. Top notch DS compatibility, a slot-1 GBA emulator, an okay SNES emulator that is far better than the homebrew ones out there, and tons of awesome emulators and other homebrew stuff. You get the most that you can out of a flash cart at this point in time (or anytime for that matter).

7. theomms
    OP

Newcomer theomms Member

United States
    sooo cool!

Thanks man! Just ordered an Supercard DSTwo and a transcend 8GB micro SDHC card class 6...I couldn't find any compatibility lists for SDHC cards and the SC DSTwo so I hope the one I got works [​IMG]

anyway [​IMG] thanks again!

8. Nathan Drake

Antarctica
    Transcend Class 6 is a fairly excellent choice. It should serve you well.

9. Terminator02

Member Terminator02 ヽ( 。 ヮ゚)ノ

United States
    all microSD cards will work, either SD or SDHC, up to 32 GB

10. timxirish

Newcomer timxirish Newbie

United States
    You'll love it [​IMG]. I just recieved my GBATemp limited edition DSTwo (no hardware difference), and it's wonderful.

Previously I have used genuine R4, then upgraded to TTDS for SDHC when I found out about YSMenu. That TTDS is in my DSLite somewhere, but since I got a DSi LL (Japanese version of DSi XL) and it works great on system update 1.4.2J.

As much as I love Mac, I have to publicly say right here: Don't format a micro SD card you intend to use with your Supercard DSTwo on a Mac. It formats fine, but when I copy the DSTwo system files to the card and run it on my DSi LL once and power down... It does not load again. Plugging it into any computer indicates that the card is no longer formatted. Formatting under Vista (without "quick format") works perfect.. And if Vista can do it, I'm sure XP and 7 can as well (lol).

Enjoy your DSTwo! The only other card I would consider getting is an Acekard 2i or EZ Flash Vi... With my only reason as having one of those as a backup to my DSTwo. [​IMG]