Help with an old ds-X :(

Discussion in 'NDS - Flashcarts and Accessories' started by theomms, Jul 3, 2011.

  1. theomms
    OP

    theomms Member

    Newcomer
    11
    0
    Jun 12, 2006
    United States
    I have an old DS-X 2GB that was working for the longest time, but today all of the files on it got erased (my dumb stupid fault!)

    I found an old copy of the DS-x updater 1.1.3 beta and it comes with the following files:

    Ds_Xtreme_updater_v1.3.exe
    update.txt
    update1.3.bin

    the problem is that the updater tries to download the update files from the DS-X.com server that does not exist anymore. I think that the update files are in the"bin" file but the updater is not directed to get them locally.

    Do think that I can do anything? or do I just have to buy a newer card?

    TIA
     
  2. Evo.lve

    Evo.lve All that you could be.

    Member
    1,786
    21
    Oct 11, 2010
    Away from you.
    99.99% of people would advise you to get a new cart, like the R4iDSN, the Acekard 2i and the DSTWO. The other 0.01% are the people who can't actually buy carts and in their rage tell other people to make do with their current piece of shit so they feel better.

    So seriously - get a new cart.
     
  3. Nathan Drake

    Nathan Drake Obligations fulfilled, now I depart.

    Member
    6,192
    2,150
    Jan 2, 2011
    Oh man, that thing is fairly ancient in terms of DS flash carts. I would highly recommend upgrading to even just an Original R4 for about $6.

    Edit: This was the last thing said about the DS-Xtreme in the official GBAtemp review back in '06 -

    http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=38174

    Yeah, a new cart would be a good idea. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised by the huge upgrade.
     
  4. jurai

    jurai GBAtemp Fan

    Member
    345
    37
    Dec 23, 2005
    remember when DS-X was heralded as a future proof bastion of the DS scene
     
  5. theomms
    OP

    theomms Member

    Newcomer
    11
    0
    Jun 12, 2006
    United States
    Thanks for all the replies guys!

    I guess I am gonna just get a new card...I just want to buy the best one, but it is a harder decision than I want it to be haha


    Is there a clear best card for the DSlite? (cost not being a factor)


    ...dont worry Im gonna search/read, but a quick answer means I can be back to playing my DS faster [​IMG]
     
  6. Nathan Drake

    Nathan Drake Obligations fulfilled, now I depart.

    Member
    6,192
    2,150
    Jan 2, 2011
    This should help: http://gbatemp.net/t290097-which-flash-cart-should-i-get

    The Supercard DSTwo is easily the best cart out of all of them. Top notch DS compatibility, a slot-1 GBA emulator, an okay SNES emulator that is far better than the homebrew ones out there, and tons of awesome emulators and other homebrew stuff. You get the most that you can out of a flash cart at this point in time (or anytime for that matter).
     
  7. theomms
    OP

    theomms Member

    Newcomer
    11
    0
    Jun 12, 2006
    United States
    sooo cool!

    Thanks man! Just ordered an Supercard DSTwo and a transcend 8GB micro SDHC card class 6...I couldn't find any compatibility lists for SDHC cards and the SC DSTwo so I hope the one I got works [​IMG]

    anyway [​IMG] thanks again!
     
  8. Nathan Drake

    Nathan Drake Obligations fulfilled, now I depart.

    Member
    6,192
    2,150
    Jan 2, 2011
    Transcend Class 6 is a fairly excellent choice. It should serve you well.
     
  9. Terminator02

    Terminator02 ヽ( 。 ヮ゚)ノ

    Member
    4,517
    310
    Apr 10, 2010
    United States
    Somewhere near monkat
    all microSD cards will work, either SD or SDHC, up to 32 GB
     
  10. timxirish

    timxirish Member

    Newcomer
    19
    7
    Jun 27, 2011
    United States
    You'll love it [​IMG]. I just recieved my GBATemp limited edition DSTwo (no hardware difference), and it's wonderful.

    Previously I have used genuine R4, then upgraded to TTDS for SDHC when I found out about YSMenu. That TTDS is in my DSLite somewhere, but since I got a DSi LL (Japanese version of DSi XL) and it works great on system update 1.4.2J.

    As much as I love Mac, I have to publicly say right here: Don't format a micro SD card you intend to use with your Supercard DSTwo on a Mac. It formats fine, but when I copy the DSTwo system files to the card and run it on my DSi LL once and power down... It does not load again. Plugging it into any computer indicates that the card is no longer formatted. Formatting under Vista (without "quick format") works perfect.. And if Vista can do it, I'm sure XP and 7 can as well (lol).

    Enjoy your DSTwo! The only other card I would consider getting is an Acekard 2i or EZ Flash Vi... With my only reason as having one of those as a backup to my DSTwo. [​IMG]