Hardware HELP!! Wii no longer reads discs!! :'(

afnuke

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
buy a usb hdd, that will fix it. Not trying to be a smart A@# but I have two wii's I bought cheap that the disc drives dont work......but they sure run great with usb loader. All that wasted time I spent on disc! good luck

DarknessxD407

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
maybe the laser eye reader that reads the disk no longer has the working mechanisim to move the eye around the disk to read it. I have no idea if this is right but it's how the eye moves to read the disk as far as I know.

The easy way is to get a usb harddrive

Edit: what exactly happends when you try to run a disk?

XFlak

Wiitired but still kicking
Trophies
Website
modmii.github.io
XP
Country
Cyprus
download NUS Auto Downloader, run the program, type "4.1", on the next screen type "E", follow the prompts, and let the program download the files u need, then proceed to install all the wads u just downloaded using wad manager (u can skip installing the system menu, as that is not your problem)

if after installing all the active IOSs, u still can't play original wii discs, something must be wrong with your hardware

rolandde

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Happened to me 6 months ago. I originally did softmod my Wii because of that, but then my friend suggested that I try the Wii Disk Cleaning kit to fix my Disk Drive. It actually worked, with the Disk Drive working very smoothly after the cleaning.

However, I am being cautious. I move all my new games onto my USB drive right away and try to use the Disk Drive as little as possible.

Krestent

What to post?
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Lockon Stratos said:
I get a disc cannot be read error, Its nothing to do with software im sure of that, It may be the lazer which worries me :S I looked online and found a lens cleaning kit which I'm gonna try fingers crossed
Whatever you do, don't use a generic one. Use the official Nintendo cleaner

adriande2

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I have had a problem like this before and fixed it.
If you used cioscorp, try installing it again.
If you are using preloader(or priiloader) go into the hacks section and turn "force disc to run under ios259" off.
If those don't work, it might be a physical problem. Unless you actually opened up the Wii and touched the laser(or if dirt possibly got in there), it shouldn't be broken. Remember, backups can't damage your laser.

Vertimyst

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
I'm having this same problem. I can get games to work occasionally, but it's very rare. At the moment my Wii is virginized, no loaders or softmods on it.

However, I just get the 'can't read disc' error, it doesn't tell me to turn off the system (unless I keep trying to get a disc to read - I've noticed this with my retail copy of Metroid Prime Trilogy).

I should mention that I've never been able to always properly read backup discs, I've always had to keep inserting the disc until it randomly worked. I've been using Verbatim DVD-Rs. Also, when there's a disc in the Wii (when it reads it) it's very noisy. Not sure if that's typical of the system.

My Wii's a launch system I think - LU50, I got it in February 2007. I've tried the cleaning kit a few times, and it took a small amount of dirt out, but didn't solve the problem. I'm not sure if I should send the Wii in for repair or not.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I just ordered another package from China just to spite you.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Communism lol
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    OUR products
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    @LeoTCK actually good quality products are dying out because they can't compete with dropshipped chinese crap
    +2
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    @LeoTCK is your partner the sascrotch or smth?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Good morning
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Out of nowhere I got several scars on my forearm and part of my arm and it really itches.
  • AdRoz78 @ AdRoz78:
    Hey, I bought a modchip today and it says "New 2040plus" in the top left corner. Is this a legit chip or was I scammed?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    @AdRoz78 start a thread and post a photo of the chip.
    +2
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Yawn
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    and good morning everyone
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @BakerMan, his partner is Luke
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    Sup nerds
    +1
  • Flame @ Flame:
    oh hi, Sickly
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Oh hi flame
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    @K3Nv2 what was your ps4 situation
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    did you always have a ps4 you never updated
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    or were you able to get new ps4 tracking it \
    as soon as the hack was announced
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    or did you have to find a used one with the lower firm ware that was not updated
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I got this ps4 at launch and never updated since 9.0
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    You got a good chance of buying a used one and asking the seller how often they used or even ask for a Pic of fw and telling them not to update
  • RedColoredStars @ RedColoredStars:
    Speaking of PLaystation. I see Evilnat put out a beta for PS3 CFW 4.91.2 on the 22nd.
    RedColoredStars @ RedColoredStars: Speaking of PLaystation. I see Evilnat put out a beta for PS3 CFW 4.91.2 on the 22nd.