[HELP] What format should an 8gb micro-sd card be?

Discussion in 'M3 Adapter' started by games2007, Dec 28, 2008.

1. games2007
    OP

Member games2007 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Hello! I was wondering what format my 8gb micro-sd card should be? I bought it with my iTouchDS but I get a black screen, and formatting with Vista phails xD
    Also, should I use Windows' formatting system or should I find a program to do it? So I just need to know the format settings, and whether to make it quick or not quick... (not sure if that is an option for XP because I'm not at my house right now.) I realize that I asked this question in my previous thread, warning about The World's Smallest Micro-SD Card Reader, but I didn't think that would get me good replies.

2. haringtonl

Member haringtonl GBAtemp Regular

United States
    ? That didn't make much sense... But try using the panasonic formatter? Or are you talking about FAT32?

3. thedicemaster

Member thedicemaster GBAtemp Addict

Netherlands
    always go with either fat32 or fat16(fat32 recommended)
    ntfs is windows only(although most versions of linux "support" it too now), and exfat is vista/windows7 only.

4. gosp

Member gosp GBAtemp Regular

Italy
    with 8gb you can't use fat16. In fact, there's only one possible choice since NTFS is windows proprietary and there's no free documentation to use it. I don't think quick or not quick formatting will make a difference.

5. Another World

Former Staff Another World Emulate the Planet!

Colombia
    if its 2gb or under fat (which is fat16) or fat 32. if its over 2gb fat32 is your only choice. its a hardware limitation. you might want to read the wiki for a good insight.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File_Allocation_Table

the panasonic formatter will automatically format correctly, but with defult cluster size.

-another world

6. AXYPB

Member AXYPB GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    I read somewhere that formatting a MicroSD card with a device like a camera or a cell phone will produce the same result as the SDFormatter.

7. 8MalwanK

Newcomer 8MalwanK Newbie

United Kingdom
    I got a similiar problem but when i try to format my 8gb sd card it appeares with a warning which says
    "Windows cannot format this drive.Quit an disk utilities or other programs that are using this drive and make sure no windows is displaying the contents of this drive.The try formatting again."
    No windows were up when i was formatting it but i dont know whats wrong

8. StuKeeler

Newcomer StuKeeler Advanced Member

United Kingdom
    Try formatting from within Windows disk management... (Start > Run > compmgmt.msc > select disk management from list).

This might solve your problem.

9. gameguy95

Banned gameguy95 Needs More Furries!

United States
    i tried that with my 2gb but somehow when i put it back in my comp te put the files on the thing said it was a 1 gig when it was a 2 gig plus it said it had 0 BITS of free space not 0mb or 0kb but 0b
    SO DON'T DO IT