Help updating from 3.2 to 4.1

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by JDude151, Aug 17, 2009.

Aug 17, 2009
  1. JDude151
    OP

Newcomer JDude151 Newbie

United States
    Greetings, all. I'll get right to it.

A while back, I used EoC's guide (http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=118446) to downgrade my Wii from 3.4 to 3.2, following everything to the letter, installing everything that was there, HBC, Starfall, the whole shebang.
    Later I installed a Backup Loader 0.3 gamma with 002 fix, but other than that, nothing else was installed to my Wii, and it's still at 3.2.

I just picked up Wii Sports Resort, and it won't work on either the Disc Channel or the Backup Loader (the 002 fixed Backup loader even gives a 002 error, which makes no sense...), so I figured it's probably about time I update my Wii to the latest firmware. From what I've read on these forums, 4.1 is the most recent and best to use at the moment. I want to do it safely, with as little risk of bricking or any other problems as possible.

So, I'd really appreciate your help in telling me exactly what needs to be done, what needs to be uninstalled, how to do it, and so on and so forth.
    I've seen a 4.1 updater program on the forums, but I'm wary of using it straightaway on my Wii without knowing the consequences. I'm afraid of doing anything with my Wii unless I know it (probably) won't hurt it.

Your help is greatly appreciated. I thank you in advance.

2. xzxero

Member xzxero ♥bong milk does good for the brain♥

United States
  3. KiiWii

Member KiiWii GBAtemp Psycho!

United Kingdom
    quick question: If i have 4.0 installed working fine (got cios38r14, cIOSCORP 3.3, bug fixed 60 etc), to upgrade to 4.1 MANUALLY can i just download system menu wad for 4.1 (450) and overwrite my existing system menu wad (418)? or are there more IOS's needed for 4.1?

4. Hells Guardian

Member Hells Guardian GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    Dude just read. the concept is simple. use waninkoko's 4.1 updater. this will update you to system menu 4.1 while maintaining your previous IOS's trucha bugs. this will get you to the point of any kind of mods such as CIOSCORP or custom themes or whatever.

5. KiiWii

United Kingdom
    ok ill rephrase the question: is the only difference between 4.0 and 4.1 in terms of IOS and system menu wad: just the system menu wad version?

Edit: according to that guide the answer is yes.

6. Deviyl

Member Deviyl GBAtemp Fan

United States
    4.1 Fixes some issues with sports resort, so you'll definitely want that one since you're only upgrading to play that game.

And if your coming from stuff as old as 3.2, you'll need a bunch of new stuff anyway.. I'd recommend just grabbing the update from Nintendo and then following a guide to hack the new system. There's a lot of new stuff available for your Wii, so you'd probably end up going through more trouble to find a "safe" SM updater that saves all of your hacks. Easier just to Nintendo update and hack from scratch to make sure you have all of the new stuff.

7. KiiWii

United Kingdom
    cool.

Done and sorted it any way.

8. JDude151
    OP

Newcomer JDude151 Newbie

United States
    So updating the Wii through Nintendo's system update will delete all your homebrew/Starfall/etc.? Or will there be things left over you'll need to remove yourself?

And is there any chance of bricking a homebrewed Wii through Nintendo's updates?

Because if I can update without fear, and just rehack it without fear, I might as well do that instead of trying to find a program to run it off 3.2.

9. Deviyl

Member Deviyl GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Nintendo's updater will stop some things from working, but won't make your Wii a virgin again. Erasing what's left over isn't important though as all the new hacks will overwrite anything old you have on there.

Just make sure if you're doing a Nintendo update that you know what version they're giving out (make sure it's not higher than you expect) and that it's a hackable version. Nintendo update will be fine for you and when you're done just have a look at one of the Wii softmodding guides and they'll get you set back up with new stuff.