Help to get USB Loader GX working

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by Franki, Apr 30, 2010.

Apr 30, 2010
  1. Franki
    OP

Newcomer Franki Member

Thailand
    Really need some help to get USB loader GX (r929) working. Problems are:

1. There is no (+) Install button at the left of the GUI. The ReadMii says this should be there. I assume this is meant to be just to the left of the Settings button.
    2. When I load an original disc and press the “Mount DVD Drive” button from the pop-up menu, the Wii freezes with a black screen (with a little green at the top). This also happens if I select the disc icon at the top of the GUI.
    3. When I load an original disc and press the “Install” button from the pop-up menu all the icons disappear and leaves just the GUI background. Whilst I can still amuse myself moving the little hand around the screen nothing else works.

Sure, I’ve googled this and read many similar comments. I’ve tried downgrading to r921, using game quick boot, disable game sound, and installing both cIOS 38r17 and r19 to IOS249. None of this makes any difference. I have my limited cIOS installation to IOS249 base 38 because the ReadMii file for USB loader only refers to this.

I do note from my googling that there is a lot of discussion about installing cIOS’s to 202, 222, 223, 249 and 250 with various bases, together with varied claims that some of these have resolved the issue. However, there didn’t seem to be an obvious agreement on which cIOS to install. I have seen the “Best cIOS Selection for Newbies” guide here but don’t want to blanket install all these unless it is absolutely necessary to the USB loader GX running.

Details of my Wii are as follows.

1. Virgin 4.2K softmodded in accordance with the CompleteSoftmodGuide. I.e. Trucha Bug installed, Korean Extra, BootMii as IOS, HBC.
    2. Priiloader v0.4 installed; only region free everything and updates block where carried out.
    3. USB loader GX installed in accordance with ReadMii. I.e., cIOS 38r19 installed to IOS249, loaded through HBC rather than own channel.
    4. The attached HDD is an Iomega which has been given a WBFS partition with WiiBackupManager. USB Loader GX appears to recognise this partition as its size is shown on screen.
    5. The game I tried to install was the Mario Kart Wii original bought in Korea.

Any help would really be appreciated [​IMG] .

2. TRushInfo

Banned TRushInfo Banned

United States
    delete the config file in your usbloadergx folder. sometimes it causes problems when switching versions. this might fix your problem.

3. Franki
    OP

Newcomer Franki Member

Thailand

I had deleted both GX*.cfg files from the config folder. There are no config files in the usbloadergx folder

4. cobleman

Member cobleman GBAtemp Maniac

Australia
  5. Franki
    OP

Newcomer Franki Member

Thailand

Thanks Cobleman.

I installed cIOS 222 based on IOS38 merged with IOS37 and cIOS 223 based on IOS38 merged with IOS 60 using the hermes installer rev.4. This appeared to be successful.
    I removed usbloadergx and reinstalled 921 but it still boots from cIOS249.
    How do you make it boot from cIOS222?
    The boot/standard setting has asterixs ****** and I can't change this

6. cobleman

Member cobleman GBAtemp Maniac

Australia
    Sounds like parental controls are on? Is the + on the left bottom of Gui?

7. tj_cool

Supervisor tj_cool Stuff

Belgium
    It's definitely parental controls if you can't use some options.
    Go into settings > parental controls and unlock it (you'll need a password though)

8. XFlak

Member XFlak Wiitired but still kicking

Canada
    its been awhile since I used usbloader gx, but if u dont have the password, u should still be able to get around it by deleting/replacing the usb loader config file (u may want to keep a backup of it just in case, until u r sure u have it working the way u want)

9. ConJ

Member ConJ The Toker

United Kingdom
    From USBLoader GX site -

Default password WAS ab121b / r468 CHANGED the default setting and now there is NO PASSWORD SET and the loader starts in godmode unless you have set a password.

10. tj_cool

Supervisor tj_cool Stuff

Belgium
    It's still set though, as he can't use some options
    Removing the config files should fix it, unless you have parental controls set in the actual wii settings

11. Franki
    OP

Newcomer Franki Member

Thailand
    OK well spotted all, parental control is definitely part of the problem.

As far as I am aware parental controls are not set in the wii settings. I am the only owner and I have not intentionally set them. However as it is all in Korean I cannot be 100% sure that I have not accidentally set it.

When I load usbloadergx the padlock icon is closed and the parental control setting shows the console locked. However when I select the padlock icon and just select OK, no password, the console is unlocked. But whenever I reload usbloadergx or select the icon to reload SD then the parental control is back. Does this really sound like parental controls are set in the wii settings? If so I shall have to get the menus translated to switch of this parental control unless anyone knows an easier hack.

Regardless of this I could then change the boot/standard to cIOS222 in 921 which then initially loads to cIOS249 but then reloads to config settings cIOS222. However when I update to 929 the boot/standard reverts to cIOS249 which I can again change to 222. However, I still have the same problems mounting and installing as stated in my first post.

Any more ideas……………..…..desperate [​IMG]

12. TRushInfo

Banned TRushInfo Banned

United States

check to see if the files on your sd card are marked as read only, since when you turn things on none of the previous changed get saved.

also the wii parental controls wouldnt have any effect on the usbgx ones afaik

13. Franki
    OP

Newcomer Franki Member

Thailand
    I double checked, the files are not marked read only.
    Wasn't expecting them to be as all configuration changes (cios222, quick boot etc) except for parental control are kept when reloading usbloadergx. It was only when I updated to 929 that all settings were lost and it reverted back to cios249. Not surprising really as I deleted the config files when updating.

However, now I reloaded 921 and updated to 929 on the network, this maintained my setting except for parental control.
    Also tried the default settings button which made it revert back to cios249 but parental control lock was on again.

Bottom line is disc will still not mount or install through usbloadergx and the f'ing parental control is on by default
    [​IMG]

14. Franki
    OP

Newcomer Franki Member

Thailand
    Please help, surely someone has this working.